Cadet
Registered for: 14 years 7 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: 1988 Jetta mk2 cli
Membership No: missing

VR6 gearbox

Post by young gun »

hi guys i have a couple questions regarding the 'boxes

1) am i correct in saying that only vr gearboxes will work on the vr motor? or are there any other alternatives i can look into? reason being the boxes are abit difficult to get hold of!

2) the shift cables do they have to be from a vr or what other alternatives do i have? can any shift cables from any cable shift box work?

3) assuming there are alternative cable options. will this require me having to change the shift tower to match whichever cable and cable shift box i use?

Appreciate the help guys :hi:
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Re: VR6 gearbox

Post by panic-mechanic »

VR6 has a different bellhousing and bolt pattern so the 4 cyl gearbox does not fit direct. You can use the front casing of a vr box though and build it onto a 02A type gearbox - ie. the 2l 16v box and the gear sets etc. cross fits. Cables are essentially the same in working but the lengths might differ between the models a little. The shift tower will determine the type of fitting that the cable needs so yes depending on what that looks like the cable might differ.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
rzr
Cadet
Registered for: 15 years
Car Make: VW , DAIHATSU
Car Model: MK3 2.0l16v , 0.9l,6V

Post by rzr »

hi
1)the importers have the golf4 vr6 gearbox apparently only one mounting is different. or you get the vr6 bellhousing and you can fit it to an abf box which is available relatively cheap only difference shorter ratios- like panic says

2)in reality the ends are different but most boxes have similar movement. ive actually fitted a jetta 5 tdi selector box and cables to my abf gearbox when my vr6 cable broke. i only needed to modify the bracket for the cables and the end links on the shift tower.

3) vw vortex guys say that the shift tower and selector box/cables from golf 4 02j box will work.

hope this helps you
its not how u stand by ur car its how u race ur car

young gun
Cadet

Post by young gun »

thnaks for the replies guys

@panic: if possible i would like to avoid the swapping the bellhousing route so i will keep on the look out. and in short basically whatever cables i use it would be wise to get its corresponding shift tower and then swop it over? will say for example the shift tower from the o2j boxes be a direct fit into the vr box??

@rzr: thanks for the info i will check with my local importers if they have any of these boxes!!
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

ifyou don't want to change bits on the box then there is pretty much only one thing and that is finding a complete VR box.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
young gun
Cadet

Post by young gun »

faair enough but sourcing the cables and shift box is another story...if i were to use the shifter box and cables from say a golf 4 gti for example. would it be wise and easier to take the shidt tower as well as it would match up perfectly for the cables? are the shift towers on the cable shift gearboxes interchangable?

thanks for the help!
rzr
Cadet
Registered for: 15 years
Car Make: VW , DAIHATSU
Car Model: MK3 2.0l16v , 0.9l,6V

Post by rzr »

the guys in vw vortex clearly show the 02j golf 4 shift tower being fitted to the 02a vr6 box and i think it would be easier to do that. they say that the shifting setup from the o2j feels really good as well compared to the vr6s setup.
i can tell you that compared to the vr6 selector the tdi one that i fitted feels much better. it was not that difficult imo to make the jetta5 cables work on my shift tower, but i dont know your skill level.and i didn't have the option of buying the shift tower as they had sold the engine and gearbox already.
its not how u stand by ur car its how u race ur car

Jetta2
Field Marshal
Registered for: 17 years 3 months
Car Make: VW, VW, Aprilia
Car Model: Mk3 Golf VR6, Mk4 Caddy, RSV4
Membership No: 1087

Post by Jetta2 »

There is an 02A fitted to the Jetta and I swopped the stock 02A shift tower on the 'box with an 02J one. Remove the two bolts, pull it out, push 02J tower in, bolt it down. Done.

Keep in mind it is not a VR 02A 'box, but the CDA 'box, but you can do the tower swop anyways on a VR 02A as well.

Edited to add pics -

Stock 02A tower:

02A on left, 02J on right:

02J bolted in place:
Ryan Demoser

1996 Mk3 Golf VR6
2017 Caddy Maxi Crew Bus 2.0 TDI
2013 Aprilia RSV4 track toy
2021 Aprilia RS660 road bike
young gun
Cadet

Post by young gun »

thank you so much for the info guys really appreciate it ur advice has answered my questions perfectly!! npw thats one less thing to worry about!

thanks for those pics jetta 2 i thought there was more to it than just swapping them over but that sounds awesome!!

thanks again guys i would be lost without this forum!!
Jeandre0909
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years

Post by Jeandre0909 »

hi guys a have a vw tdi 6speed cable link box can a use it on may vr6 gearbox because a cont find a vr6 cable link box
shuddz hardstyler
Enlisted
Registered for: 10 years 1 month
Car Model: '98 MK3 VR6 GOLF

Post by shuddz hardstyler »

young gun wrote: Sun May 22, 2011 12:06 am thank you so much for the info guys really appreciate it ur advice has answered my questions perfectly!! npw thats one less thing to worry about!

thanks for those pics jetta 2 i thought there was more to it than just swapping them over but that sounds awesome!!

thanks again guys i would be lost without this forum!!
Howsit brother, just in terms of the shifter setup. The 02J shiftbox and tower upgrade is brilliant. I had it on my jetta, minor mods required in terms of mounting the actual shifter. I still have the 02A setup on my golf and it is dirt compared to the 02J upgrade.
Current: '98 Golf VR6
Ex: '96 Jetta VR6
Ex: '96 Golf GTI
Ex: '01 Mercedez Benz C240
Ex: '85 Mazda 323
VWicked
Lieutenant-General
Car Model: Golf 2 GTi
Membership No: 1492

Post by VWicked »

Jeandre, the bolt pattern is different.
Have you had your bottle of Hatorade today?

1992 Golf Mk2 GTi VR6
1994 Caddy 1800 Sport