Golf VI GTI RNS 510 and 9WZ Bluetooth Install - Long Post

This forum is designated for In Car Entertainment discussion...
Forum rules
Please take a look at the rules for posting in the Technical section as all posts will be moderated accordingly...

Technical Section Rules
Drew-za
Enlisted
Registered for: 13 years 4 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: MK6 GTI - DSG
Membership No: missing

Golf VI GTI RNS 510 and 9WZ Bluetooth Install - Long Post

Post by Drew-za »

There are a couple posts on the RNS 510 install, but this will cover the 9wz Bluetooth install at the same time - hope this helps someone!

The 9wz is the latest Bluetooth module for VW/ Audi that supports normal bluetooth carkit and rSAP. rSAP effectivly takes over the sim card and uses the bluetooths GPRS / 3G radio and antenna to make calls. This saves phone battery and increases signal. You can also send and receive SMS messages in rSAP mode. More info can be found at the following locations (thank you to these people for providing all the info I have gathered):
http://www.vwclub.co.za/phpbb3/viewtopi ... 15&t=95667
http://www.vwgolfcommunity.com/download ... 20v1.4.pdf
http://vwnavi.com/showthread.php/13923- ... -the-US...
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a5/V ... th-FAQ.htm

The full high resolution album can be viewed here: http://picasaweb.google.com/11673176426 ... directlink

For reference, this was installed in a 2010 Golf VI GTI, with DSG & Sunroof, which had the standard RCD 310 and normal speakers. The car didn't have any previous bluetooth prep and there were wasn't a bluetooth harness under the seat as per many other posts online. So effectively this was an install from scratch.

I suggest turning the car off while doing this install. Some have mentioned that you should disconnect the battery. I had mine connected the whole time and had no problems. As always - use this guide at your own risk - I don't accept any responsibility for anything bad that may happen to your car.

You will need the following tools:
- Signet Trim Removal Tools (R260.00 incl shipping.) - You can buy this on ebay: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/davethetoolssemporium
- Flat Screw Driver, Small Screw Driver, Torch, Blade, Torx Set, Insulation Tape (All available at Builders Warehouse)
- Anti-slip Mat / Foam Padding (R60.00 - Builders Warehouse)
- VAG-COM Cable / VCDS version 10.6 or higher - (R900.00) http://www.electromannsa.co.za/shop/?q=node/298
- Steel wire or Steel coat-hanger for feeding cables behind the dash etc.
ImageImage

Parts:
- VW RNS 510 with code card and GPS antenna .
-- R5,950.00 with 3 day TNT express shipping - Weirdly there was no import duty tax.
-- Buy it from: http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/satnavonlineuk/
-- VW Part number: 1T0 035 680 C (It was not the new LED version).
-- Software Version: 2700 (At least that's what I remember or it's 2720)

- VW 9wz Bluetooth Module with wiring harness, GPRS antenna and Mic.
-- R2,970.00 with 3 day TNT express shipping - Again weirdly there was no import duty tax.
-- Buy it from: http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/*bluewagen*
-- VW Part number: 3C8 035 730 A

ImageImage
ImageImage

Remove the dash trim, RCD 310 and Climatronic Controls:
- Using your trim removal tool, slid it under the trim and pop it forward. Start at the bottom right and work your way up and then along the bottom left. The trim can be really stubborn, but its tough so just keep at it. You will here a loud pop noise when the clips let go - don't worry you haven't broken anything (yet :twisted: ).

ImageImageImage

- Unscrew the for Torx screws around the radio. Pull the radio out and remove the harness and antenna wires.
- Next remove the lower trim around the Climatronic Controls. There are two clips at the top (right below the radio), pull the trim out, then it swings downs and out. I've heard you should not disconnect the airbag light as it will log a fault in the ECU.

ImageImage

- Now remove the 4 Torx screws holding the Climatronic controls. You will now see a large space in the dash, behind where the Climatronic Controls were, this is where our 9wz Bluetooth module is going.

Remove the sunroof and map light control panel trim:
- Use your trim removal tool and ease it under the trim of the sunroof control panel. Work your way around it and the clips should just pop out.

ImageImage

- Now do the same with the map light panel. This panel is a little more difficult when you get to the red L.E.D lights. There is a clip there that needs to pop out. Once it has popped, the panel should just come loose.

- Now move onto the security panel. This panel only has clips in the front section. It then swivels down as per the pictures.

ImageImage

- There are 2 torx screws that need to be removed for the panel to come out of the headliner. The panel is held up by the wiring. You can leave it hanging down for now.

ImageImage

- Now remove the right hand side fuse panel. It has 3 clips holding it on (bottom, middle and top). Use your trim tool and just pry it off. Then move onto the middle section of the A-pillar. Simply pull it up from the top and out as per the picture.

ImageImage

- Now unseat the right hand side sun visor. Simply pop the screw cover open with a small screw driver and then remove the torx screw. The sun visor will then come loose and will hang from its wire - leaving it loose for now. To make your life easier, also remove the right hand side handle, this allows the headliner to move more when you have to feed the mic wire. Simply pop open the screw cover, remove the 2 torx screws and then wrestle the handle loose.

ImageImage

- Now remove the top A-Pillar section as per this post: http://www.my-gti.com/1867/volkswagen-g ... stallation. Be careful of the "Airbag" logo as the clips can break easily. You will need a small screw driver to pinch the clips under the logo together. Go slowly and use a torch here.

Routing the cables:
- Clip the large harness from the bluetooth wiring loom into the existing radio harness in the dash. Wrap it in some of the anti-slip mat / foam padding. Now feel deep down in the lower section of the dash where the bluetooth module will sit. You will notice that the hole goes down quite deep. Loop the remaining cable from the bluetooth wire loom and push it in there so that the is lots of space for the bluetooth model to sit in.
- Now tape the mic cable onto a long piece of steel wire (old coat hanger will do) and feed the mic cable behind the dash and steering wheel. It should pop out on the right hand side in the fuse box area.
- Un-tape the mic cable and then tape the GPRS antenna plug to the wire. Now feed the GPRS antenna cable back through the dash to the hole where the bluetooth module will sit.

continued...
Last edited by Drew-za on Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:43 am, edited 8 times in total.
MK VI GTI, DSG, Xenons, Sunroof, RNS 510, 9wz Bluetooth.
Drew-za
Enlisted

Re: Golf VI GTI RNS 510 and 9WZ Bluetooth Install - Long Pos

Post by Drew-za »

Wrap up your bits:
- Wrap the bluetooth module and the GPS receiver in the foam padding. This will hopefully stop any rattles.
- Install the bluetooth module in the lower center console. Turn it lengthwise first, insert into the dash then rotate right to show the connector pins at the front. Push the cables below the unit down as much as possible so that the bluetooth module sits as far away from the RNS 510 slot. This will help with the cooling of the RNS 510 unit.

ImageImage

- Remove the 4 torx screws in the locations shown with the red arrows. This will help you remove the vents above the RNS 510 so that you can place your GPS receiver in the best possible location to receive decent signal. The vents are a bit of a bastard to get out, but if you remove the bottom 2 torx screws (red arrows) you should see that the whole bracket is more loose and eventually with enough toughing and moving then vents come out. The yellow arrows indicate the section where the vents are held down onto the brackets, pop those around and up first and then slowly pull the vents out. Careful of the Hazard light cable, its really short.
- Now simply place your GPS receiver above the vent as shown. It should be a tight fit so it shouldn't move around.

ImageImage

Feed the Mic and GPRS antenna cables up the A Pillar:
- Use the steel wire and feed it down the A pillar to the fuse box area. Tape the two cables to the wire and pull the cables up past the vent in the A Pillar. Careful of the Airbags here, you don't want to damage anything.

- Now leave the GPRS antenna in the A Pillar. You will use its sticky side to secure it inside the A Pillar. Make sure you secure this below the Airbag as you don't want that to become a projectile on impact. :cry:
- Use your wire and feed the mic cable from the top of the A Pillar to the hole where the sun visor mounts. This is tricky and will take some time. I fed the steel wire from the sun visor hole to the A Pillar and then dragged the cable back.

- Next use the steel wire and feed it along the inside of headliner from the map light console all the way to the sun visor hole. This is tricky and you need to be careful of the flat wires hidden in the headliner. Once you get the steel wire to the sun visor hole, tape the mic cable to the steel wire and pull it back to the map light console.
- Install the Mic provided into the slot where the foam block is in the sunroof and map light control panel. The mic can only be installed one way. Once it's in, connect the Mic to the Mic cable, wrap the connection in foam padding and re-install the sunroof and map light panel into the headliner.
- Re-install the sun visor and right hand side handle. Pull back any excess Mic cable down to the fuse box area.

Hook it all up:
- Connect the AM / FM antenna connection, GPS connection and then the wire harness to the RNS 510. You may want to pull the bluetooth module out while you do this so that you can pull any wires away from the back of the RNS 510 as it goes in. Make sure you keep any wires clear of the fan in the back, as the unit can get really warm.
- Install the 4 torx screws for the RNS 510 unit.
- Connect the bluetooth harness and GPRS antenna connection into the 9wz bluetooth module.
- Push the module as far back and down as possible to give the RNS 510 lots of free air around it.
- Install the 4 torx screws that hold the Climatronic Controls and then replace the Climatronic trim panel.
- Now replace the radio trim panel.
- Then wrap up the excess cables for the GRPS antenna and MIC and stash them neatly in the fuse box area.
- Put back the fuse box trim and any other trim components that are left.

continued...
Last edited by Drew-za on Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
Drew-za
Enlisted

Post by Drew-za »

Coding the RNS 510 and 9wz Bluetooth Module with VCDS / VAG-COM:
Large versions of all of these pictures are available here: http://picasaweb.google.com/11673176426 ... directlink

- Plug in the VAG-COM Cable into the car (connection is above the accelerator pedal next to the foot light).
- Close all the doors and turn on the car (don't start the engine).
- Plug in the USB to your laptop and open VCDS.
- Select the "Program Options" and on the "User Interface and Identification" tab make sure you have similar values as per below right. They don't have to be exact, you must just have values, otherwise certain modules will not accept coding from VCDS.
- Apply, Save and then restart VCDS.

ImageImage

- Once VCDS has restarted select the "Control Module"
- Then select "77 - Telephone". Make sure your ignition key is not in the off position here, otherwise certain modules won't show in VCDS.

ImageImage

- Select "Coding - 07" and in the new window select "Long Coding Helper"

ImageImage

- Make sure your long yellow code reads like mine in the image shown. This will stop the 9wz Module from logging faults.
- Select "Exit" and then "Do it" in the screens as highlighted in "red"

ImageImage

- Now go back to the "Select Control Module" Screen and select "19 - Can Gateway"
- Then select "Coding - 07"

ImageImage

- Now select "Long Coding Helper"
- Then in the Long Coding Helper screen, select "Byte 4" (highlighted in red). Make sure that only "Bit 6 - 37 Navigation" is ticked as per below right.

ImageImage

- Then select "Byte 5" (highlighted in red) and make sure that Bit 1 and Bit 2 are selected as per the picture below:
- Then select "Exit" (highlighted in red) and then select "Do it" on the next screen. Close the controller to go back to the "Select Control Module" screen.

- Now in the "Select Control Module" Screen and select "37 - Navigation"
- Then select "Coding - 07"

ImageImage

- Now select "Long Coding Helper"
- Then in the Long Coding Helper screen, select "Byte 1" (highlighted in red). Make sure that its set as per the picture. If you have the Dynaudio system, then I believe you have to select "Volkswagen Audio System".

ImageImage

- Now select "Byte 3" and make sure "Bit 1" is ticked as per picture below (left).
- Then select "Byte 7" and make sure "Bit 1" is un-ticked and "Bit 7" is ticked as per below (right).

ImageImage

- Then select "Exit" (highlighted in red) and then select "Do it" on the next screen. Close the controller and exit the program.

- You now need to disconnect your laptop from the car. Unplug the VAG-COM, turn off the car, remove the key and then turn it back on again.
- Then you need reboot the RNS 510 for the settings to take effect as per the picture below.

Final Results:

After all of that (if you are still reading this! :eek: ) you should have the following showing in your car:

ImageImage

That's it! I hope this helps someone in need! :driving:
rodga
Nazi Spelling Master
Registered for: 16 years 4 months
Car Model: MKVI GTI
Membership No: 1323

Post by rodga »

welcome to the club and very nice and detailed diy my friend

definitely gonna be useful
*** The MKVI How-To, FAQ, and Do-It-Yourself Guide ***
rodga's ride
'10 MKVI GTI - tornado red, manual, sunroof, xenons
'09 Generic XOR 125 - matte black - Daily Driver :)

Le Clue
Field Marshal
Registered for: 14 years 6 months
Car Model: Golf Mk7 GTI Clubsport
Membership No: 1458

Post by Le Clue »

Awesome DIY!!!
Previous Rides:
2016 VW Golf Mk7 GTI Clubsport
2011 VW Golf Mk6 R
2007 VW Golf Mk5 GTI
2013 VW Polo 6R GTI
2011 VW Scirocco GT 2.0TSI
2010 VW Golf Mk6 GTI
2007 VW Polo 1.9TDI Sportline
2009 VW CitiRox 1.6i
brads
Lieutenant
Registered for: 14 years 10 months
Car Make: BMW

Post by brads »

The best DIY I have seen ! Welcome to the forum !
:hi:
ex.

MK 7 GTI
MK 6 GTI
Belix
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 13 years 11 months
Car Model: Passat B8

Post by Belix »

fantastic stuff mate! Always meant to post the full Monty, but never got a round to it.
Just be sure your phone supports rSAP as not all do, otherwise I still recom the 9w7 unit is better
Not sure how you escaped import duties. i got nailed on both items!
Like the cables that came with your bluetooth, the ones from the guy from Poland suck!!
Drew-za
Enlisted

Post by Drew-za »

Shot boys - glad you like it!

The nice thing about the 9wZ as apposed to the 9w7 is that if your phone doesn't support rSAP it will just fall back to normal bluetooth mode - so all phones are supported. I've noticed this seems to happen quite seamlessly, say for instance when I am already on a call and I jump into the car, if the system were to use rSAP mode and take over the sim the call would be dropped. Instead it just uses normal bluetooth mode and carries on like a normal bluetooth headset - pretty sweet! :geek:

OK, so now I have one question for you guys. Since installing the system I have noticed an issue. The person on the other side of a bluetooth call hears a high pitched whine that follows the revs of the engine - very much like alternator whine. I've removed the system from the dash and moved the wires around - but its is still there.

Any idea's anyone? This is driving me nuts :crazy:
Drew-za
Enlisted

Post by Drew-za »

So I figured out the "alternator whine" issue. It turns out the wiring harness I got with the 9wz bluetooth module was not so hot after all. They have a really weird idea on how the mic should be wired up and it turns out it must have been causing a ground loop or something like that.

They wired the mic so that it goes to the bluetooth module first and then to the RNS 510 for voice activation feature etc. They bridged the MIC In and MIC Out on the RNS 510 in some really weird way.

However from my reading I found that the mic should be wired as follows:

You can read more about this here: http://www.my-gti.com/529/volkswagen-rn ... ssignments
and here: http://www.my-gti.com/1234/volkswagen-r ... ce-control

So this is what I did in the end. It meant I had to cut and solder but it was worth it in the end. If I had known it was definitely the harness I probably would have just ordered another one online.
Last edited by Drew-za on Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Belix
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Belix »

glad you got it sorted! Not sure what the voice control is like from the 9Wx unit, but with mine it would have been better to use the voice button on the wheel to control the RNS510, which has a telephone control anyway, rather than use it for the bluetooth. The bluethooth voice recognition on mine (9W3) is not as good as the RNS.
Drew-za
Enlisted

Post by Drew-za »

Sorry for the late reply dude....have you tried changing how the voice activation works? To be honest the main reason I'm using the RNS for voice activation is because I couldnt figure out how to get my steering wheel button setup correctly. :oops:

Turns out it was better that way cause I like having a mute button on the steering wheel. I figure the best way to do it on your setup is just disable the voice control button on the steering wheel so that it goes back to mute function. Then just use the top right hand button on the RNS. I think its got a speaker and "I" icon on it.
Belix
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Belix »

have read up a bit, and this new 9WZ modules seems to be the better option. As you said, it does seem to have pretty much all the features should your phone not rSAP. SMS read and write is very handy!!
Only trouble is the module is a different shape to my 9W3 module, and has an ugly foam pad instead of the bracket and carpet. Anyhow, maybe something to look at in the future.
Irritating that iPhone4 has no rSAP support.
rugbeerv
Cadet
Registered for: 18 years 1 month

Post by rugbeerv »

Great post.

My bro Awesum fitted minein my G6. Took him literally 20 minutes to fit the RNS. In prob, my DVD in motion doesn't work.
2011 Golf 6 Gti DSG,RNS510,H&R's,ITG Intake,Flowtech DP,LaminX
2010 VW Polo (Candy White)(Dad's Toy)(sold)
2006 HONDA FRV 2.0 Vtec (Mom's taxi)
A3 Sportback 2.0T (BRILLIANT RED)(Gone like the Wind)
A3 2.0T (2006, Light Silver)Sold
Polo 1.9 Tdi (2003,silver 2dr,leather seats)Sold
A3 1.8T (99, Silver) Sold
Civic Vtec (97 Silver) Sold)
88' VW Jetta Cli
dbndude
Major
Registered for: 16 years 8 months
Car Make: vw
Car Model: caddy
Membership No: 1147

Post by dbndude »

awesome write up dude!
nice!!!
myriad
Enlisted
Registered for: 12 years 11 months
Car Model: Golf Wagon 2010

Post by myriad »

You rock... after searching hundreds of posts I finally found yours and now my RNS510 & 9wz is working perfectly! Thank you!!
One question though: before I re-coded to your specs. my android phone was connecting to the 9wz with the message "Remote SIM Mode enabled" and shutting off access to the phone and showing up in the display as connected but "no network", so I was unable to make calls. When I installed the 9wz, I placed the GSM antenna beside the GPS antenna (under the dash) and not in the A pillar. Could that be why I have no network in rsap mode (I live in Toronto)?? Should I move the antenna??

Regards,

Rick
Drew-za
Enlisted

Post by Drew-za »

You mentioned that you got a message
showing up in the display as connected but "no network"
Which display is that? Is that the screen on the car or the screen on the phone? Remember your phone will have zero signal as the car will be using the SIM.

Putting the GSM antenna next to the GPS antenna should still work, I think you will just have a weaker signal. Putting the GSM antenna in the A-pillar means its raised higher and should get really good signal.
myriad
Enlisted
Registered for: 12 years 11 months
Car Model: Golf Wagon 2010

Post by myriad »

Well I'm thinking that it may be the carrier then. The phone connects fine in both the MFD and the RNS510 (phone book available, etc.) but if I try to make a call I get the 'No Network' error. Though it will call 911 emergency fine. I will check to see if my carrier, WIND mobile, supports rsap.
Drew-za
Enlisted

Post by Drew-za »

Check this blog as it may give you some helpfull info:

Apparently rSap is a Europe thing, so that might be the issue. Here in South Africa we tend to follow Europe standards and I understand that when it comes to mobile phone standards, North America and Canada follow different standards from Europe.

Good luck!
racingfreak
The "TIFF"
Registered for: 16 years 7 months
Car Model: MK6 GTI CW
Membership No: 1238

Post by racingfreak »

Drew-za wrote:- VW 9wz Bluetooth Module with wiring harness, GPRS antenna and Mic.
-- R2,970.00 with 3 day TNT express shipping - Again weirdly there was no import duty tax.
-- Buy it from: http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/*bluewagen*
-- VW Part number: 3C8 035 730 A
Is this the only part number that will work with the RNS510? I see there is a premium also available through the same seller at the same price?

REVO fanboy
Drew-za
Enlisted

Post by Drew-za »

There are a couple that work, read this URL to be sure:
racingfreak
The "TIFF"
Registered for: 16 years 7 months
Car Model: MK6 GTI CW
Membership No: 1238

Post by racingfreak »

Thanks

Did you require any special adapter for the fm/am connection? I see this is required for the MkV?

REVO fanboy
Drew-za
Enlisted

Post by Drew-za »

no.
lovemygti
Enlisted
Registered for: 12 years 10 months

Post by lovemygti »

Hi Drew-za

Great post and thanks for the info.

I have MY10 GTI with factory RNS510 + dealer installed 9w2 bluetooth. I want to swap out the 9w2 with 9wz/9w7.

I have seen on ebay just the unit itself (no harness or microphone cable): http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... K:MEWAX:IT

My question is: Since I have 9w2 already, I assume already have a harness and microphone cable.

Do you think I could do a straight swap of the units? I'm not really clear, can you tell me all the cables that plug into the 9wz and where they connect to on the RNS510 unit? I would really appreciate a simple text diagram showing connections.
Awesum
Lieutenant
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Car Model: Tiguan
Membership No: 999

Post by Awesum »

It should be a straight swap.
Why do you want to swap them?

Factory fitted Rns :eek:
2019 Tiguan 2.0TDI, R-Line
2019 Polo GTI

Ex 2013 Tiguan 2.0TDI
Ex 2016 Golf VII R, DSG
Ex 2015 Polo 6C GTI, DSG, Pure White
Ex 2014 Golf VII GTI, DSG, Tornado red
Ex 2010 Scirocco 2.0TSi, DSG; Candy White; Revo, 20" RS6 wheels; Coiled looow.
Ex 2010 Golf VI GTI Dsg, Tornado Red, 19's, Revo 2
Ex 2008 Golf V GTI DSG, Riding on 19"s
Ex 2007 Golf V GTI DSG
Ex 2002 Golf IV GTI
Ex 1991 Golf II GTi 2.0 16V
Ex 1991 Jetta II CLi 1.8 8V Exec
Drew-za
Enlisted

Post by Drew-za »

I haven't owned a 9w2 so I couldn't tell you, but from what I understand its a straight swap. The only cable the 9w2 wont have is the GSM antenna, which you would have to buy separate. There are only two cables that plug into the unit, the harness which has the mic cable built in and the GSM antenna cable.

Give the bluetooth faq link a read - I've posted it twice before in this topic.