Cadet
Registered for: 16 years 10 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: GTi V
Membership No: missing

Golf V Gti - Central Locking Fault

Post by fx »

Howzit guys.

I've got an intermittent problem (8 times out of 10), where the doors do not unlock automatically when the key is removed from the ignition.

Under normal conditions, your door/s unlock automatically when you remove the keys from the ignition.

I've had the conveniece control unit (under the steering column) changed, as well as the ignition barrel, switches, etc changed. But I've still got this problem.

I've also noticed that with this problem, my electric windows cannot open whilst the key is in the ingnition. If I remove the key in this mode (when windows don't open) the doors don't unlock automatically.

The dealership say that they can't pick up a fault or error code, so they don't know how to sort this out.

Did anyone else have a similar problem, or can advise me on what to check next.

Thanks.
johnjm
Prince of Darkness
Registered for: 18 years 5 months

Re: Golf V Gti - Central Locking Fault

Post by johnjm »

fx wrote:Howzit guys.

I've got an intermittent problem (8 times out of 10), where the doors do not unlock automatically when the key is removed from the ignition.

Under normal conditions, your door/s unlock automatically when you remove the keys from the ignition.

I've had the conveniece control unit (under the steering column) changed, as well as the ignition barrel, switches, etc changed. But I've still got this problem.

I've also noticed that with this problem, my electric windows cannot open whilst the key is in the ingnition. If I remove the key in this mode (when windows don't open) the doors don't unlock automatically.

The dealership say that they can't pick up a fault or error code, so they don't know how to sort this out.

Did anyone else have a similar problem, or can advise me on what to check next.

Thanks.
It needs to be coded - it wont throw out an error because its a convenience setting as to whether you want it to unlock or not when you take out the key from the ignition.
SA MK5
Cadet
Registered for: 14 years 5 months

Post by SA MK5 »

You talking about auto-lock/ auto-unlock in VCDS, dunno why it would start playing up by itself - I might be mistaken but by default from the factory the vehicle should always unlock when key is removed from the ignition.
Assumption is the mother of...
Howie-WP
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 2033

Post by Howie-WP »

Think this is a "common" problem with Mk5's, was chatting to my friend who is the workshop manager at VW Claremont the otherday about a customers car which did similar.... :mad:
MJP
Lieutenant
Registered for: 17 years 4 months

Post by MJP »

check this link for updates...seems like its a common issue...

http://www.vwgticlub.co.za/forum/viewto ... f=4&t=3474
fx
Cadet

Post by fx »

Thanks for the replies. :wink:

It's becoming frustrating that the dealers haven't been able to sort this out as yet. :bang:
They've replaced all the components associated with this fault, but have still not remedied it.
Currently, their stance is they cannot attempt to fix anything if it does not come up as a fault on their system.

I was hoping that someone had a similar problem, with a solution.
johnjm
Prince of Darkness
Registered for: 18 years 5 months

Post by johnjm »

SA MK5 wrote:You talking about auto-lock/ auto-unlock in VCDS, dunno why it would start playing up by itself - I might be mistaken but by default from the factory the vehicle should always unlock when key is removed from the ignition.
Its not by default. The setting is usually done when the dealer does te pre delivery check. Replacing the unit would obviously put it to default - off.

Have you plugged it into vagcom to see what its currently set at? Odds are its off.
MK2 G60
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 17 years 9 months
Car Make: vw
Membership No: 388

Post by MK2 G60 »

Hi.

Check door codeing for front and rear.Front doors are the same and rear are the same.
The conv is not in the coloum the steering elect is in the steering.
The best is to do online coding for all ecu's.
G60 16V GOLF

WHAT WE LEAVE BEHIND IS NOT AS IMPORTANT AS HOW WE LIVED.

IT IS NOT UNSAFE IT IS OLD SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!

ALDO IS THE MAN WITH A GUN.
THATS HOW WE ROLL [SAINT-J]
GTS KNOWS HOW TO MAKE A STICKER.
fx
Cadet

Post by fx »

Thanks Johnjm and G60.

I will forward this information to the dealership. :wink:
ShaheemG5
Enlisted
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Post by ShaheemG5 »

Hi Guys

I have a Golf 5 GTI (2005 AXX Motor).

My passenger (left front and rear) doors dont lock at all - not when i lock with key in door or using buttons, nor whilst driving.

My Drivers Side Door sometimes doesn't unlock when i use the remote. When driver door is open, the dash display doesn't show that its open either.

My Rear passenger (behind Driver) cannot open from the outside using the handle.

My boot only opens after i press lock / unlock on the key multiple times - but unlocks without issue when im in the car and unlock all doors using the lock / unlock buttons on the drivers door.

To top it all off, my siren doesn't sound when the alarm triggers.

Please help as i really dont know what to do. Ive searched many forums. None of which really addresses the issues i have, which i describe as a complete system failure.
ShaheemG5
Enlisted
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Post by ShaheemG5 »

Hi Guys

I've completed a few diagnostic tests to ascertain the extent of my issue.

I've documented them in excel - follow below link to check what i've done.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4_cPS ... sp=sharing
vee4410
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 5 months
Car Model: Polo 9n3 1.9 TDI, 9n 1.6

Post by vee4410 »

Door locks failing. Very common issue across vw range.
Current Rides:
2007 Polo 9n3 1.9 TDI
2004 Polo 9n 1.6
2015 MB w205 C180
J-10-M
Lieutenant
Registered for: 15 years 6 months
Car Model: MK5 GTI

Post by J-10-M »

ShaheemG5 wrote:Hi Guys

I have a Golf 5 GTI (2005 AXX Motor).

My passenger (left front and rear) doors dont lock at all - not when i lock with key in door or using buttons, nor whilst driving.

My Drivers Side Door sometimes doesn't unlock when i use the remote. When driver door is open, the dash display doesn't show that its open either.

My Rear passenger (behind Driver) cannot open from the outside using the handle.

My boot only opens after i press lock / unlock on the key multiple times - but unlocks without issue when im in the car and unlock all doors using the lock / unlock buttons on the drivers door.

To top it all off, my siren doesn't sound when the alarm triggers.

Please help as i really dont know what to do. Ive searched many forums. None of which really addresses the issues i have, which i describe as a complete system failure.
Wonder if thats related to the electronics of the alarm or that the horn itself is broken
MK2 G60
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 17 years 9 months
Car Make: vw
Membership No: 388

Post by MK2 G60 »

This sounds like a few issues. Id say scan car and see what the errors are. There should be for door locks so need to replace. There can be a door harness error as in broken wires or a tail gate harness brake at the flex point. The siren it self could also be faulty as they on side of rain tray out let in fender and the get water running over them. There is a fuse for the siren too.
G60 16V GOLF

WHAT WE LEAVE BEHIND IS NOT AS IMPORTANT AS HOW WE LIVED.

IT IS NOT UNSAFE IT IS OLD SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!

ALDO IS THE MAN WITH A GUN.
THATS HOW WE ROLL [SAINT-J]
GTS KNOWS HOW TO MAKE A STICKER.
TSalie
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 6 months

Post by TSalie »

did you manage to sort out this problem?

I've been experiencing some strange electronic faults with my Golf 5 R32. Namely:
1) If i turn on the ignition, the PRNDS flashes on the screen and the DSG box is stuck in 1st. If I start the car immediately without turning ignition on and pausing, the problem disappears completely.
2) Sometimes by unlock button the the remote doesn't work. Does this for a few days and then it will start working again.
3) Can't open the boot. The emergency latch works. So, I purchased a new boot latch and fitted it and it still doesn't work. So suspect it's an electrical problem.
TheoMoonsamy
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 5 months

Post by TheoMoonsamy »

I have a similar problem. When I lock the car with the remote I don’t hear the siren and the light under the left mirror stays on and the hazards don’t flash. This is an intermittent problem. Can anybody advises thanks