DICTATOR VS MP9

WaaapWaaap
Cadet
Registered for: 16 years
Membership No: missing

DICTATOR VS MP9

Post by WaaapWaaap »

Hi all

Which system is better to use on an 8V with mods and WHY???
MP9 8v
Cadet
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Re: DICTATOR VS MP9

Post by MP9 8v »

Dictator like any other stand alone engine management system would be more precise in its fulling but would also require splicing into your current wiring harness. The MP9 would be more fule efficient and you just need an oem FI harness but the fuleing wouldnt be so precise. Not to start a manage ment war but I have had good experiences with Gotech and also know a great tuner for it. But it has been said before and I will say it again that the best management is the one your selected tuner is comfortable with and has experience with as a management system is only as good as the tuning/ map for your needs of course.
Remember that the level of your "mods" will also play a big part in choice of management. Because if you plan to do more agressive mods later like a turbo it would be a waste of money for you to go MP9 now and the have to go full standalone later for boost. Now i bet they look like two extremes on a spectrum and you think there should be a intermediate way or one in the middle of the spectrum. Well there is and that is the UniQ which is a piggyback system so that means no splicing as the unichip now has plug and play adaptors and you have precise fuleing of a stand alone system which operated through the oem management so you have some fule economy still.
Ex: 1982 Mk1 2 Door

Now: New Project
VW_Mk1_Life
Lieutenant
Registered for: 16 years 5 months
Car Make: BMW
Car Model: 120d

Post by VW_Mk1_Life »

MP9 8v wrote:Dictator like any other stand alone engine management system would be more precise in its fulling but would also require splicing into your current wiring harness. The MP9 would be more fule efficient and you just need an oem FI harness but the fuleing wouldnt be so precise. Not to start a manage ment war but I have had good experiences with Gotech and also know a great tuner for it. But it has been said before and I will say it again that the best management is the one your selected tuner is comfortable with and has experience with as a management system is only as good as the tuning/ map for your needs of course.
Remember that the level of your "mods" will also play a big part in choice of management. Because if you plan to do more agressive mods later like a turbo it would be a waste of money for you to go MP9 now and the have to go full standalone later for boost. Now i bet they look like two extremes on a spectrum and you think there should be a intermediate way or one in the middle of the spectrum. Well there is and that is the UniQ which is a piggyback system so that means no splicing as the unichip now has plug and play adaptors and you have precise fuleing of a stand alone system which operated through the oem management so you have some fule economy still.
Hold up, Unichip now has plug and play adaptors? So theres no cutting intothe harness? Are they still tuned like normal? Do these work on MP9 too?
'12 VW Golf 6 GTi DSG (Sold)
'10 Ford Figo 1.4 TDCi - (Sold)
'05 Citi Life 1.8i - 69kw and 125nm atw (Sold)
Grim
Cadet
Registered for: 19 years

Post by Grim »

MP9 8v wrote:Not to start a manage ment war but I have had good experiences with Gotech and also know a great tuner for it. But it has been said before and I will say it again that the best management is the one your selected tuner is comfortable with and has experience with as a management system is only as good as the tuning/ map for your needs of course.
Remember that the level of your "mods" will also play a big part in choice of management. Because if you plan to do more agressive mods later like a turbo it would be a waste of money for you to go MP9 now and the have to go full standalone later for boost.
+1
I run Dictator on my car, only because of the tuner. If you plan on doing mods, the go aftermarket, whatever your choice may be. More std side, then stick to MP9 - will def be more economical.
Citi 2L 16v - now ex :-(
MP9 8v
Cadet
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by MP9 8v »

Hold up, Unichip now has plug and play adaptors? So theres no cutting intothe harness? Are they still tuned like normal? Do these work on MP9 too?
Yes they are I saw them advertise it recently. I believe they still would be tuned as per normal. It is a piggyback system so yes it would work on MP9. I have a buddy who run a verry potent 2L 8v on a unichip and he is very happy and problem free.
Ex: 1982 Mk1 2 Door

Now: New Project
WaaapWaaap
Cadet
Registered for: 16 years

Post by WaaapWaaap »

Thanx for the replys guys. So i take it MP9 for standard engines and Dictator/Gotech for modified engines?
sixteen10
General
Registered for: 16 years 10 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: 2008 .:R32 DSG
Membership No: 1135

Post by sixteen10 »

the new uni-q can handle pretty much everything dicktator can except throttles.

you can boost an mp9 car with the use of uni-q , although you need a few extra other bits to make it work.

www.rbtsracing.co.za is the one to go to. ;)
2008 DBP GOLF V .:R32 ... CULT STATUS
GruppeM | Milltek | Decat | H&R | Haldex Gen2 | HPA | OEM + | BBS | Koni | Performance LEDs | UNIbrace | Whiteline | Ziza H7 | Yokohama
VW_Mk1_Life
Lieutenant
Registered for: 16 years 5 months
Car Make: BMW
Car Model: 120d

Post by VW_Mk1_Life »

So if I get a Unichip Q, which im assuming is the plug and play one, Ross will tune it the same and when I sell I just unplug the thing?
I see Unichip Q is only R100 more too. Also suppose the chip breaks, could I then just simply unplug it and good old MP9 will work again to get me home?
'12 VW Golf 6 GTi DSG (Sold)
'10 Ford Figo 1.4 TDCi - (Sold)
'05 Citi Life 1.8i - 69kw and 125nm atw (Sold)
BRAD_MK2
Wheel Whore
Registered for: 15 years

Post by BRAD_MK2 »

I used to have mp9 on my 2.0 8v
few mods and made nice power,

then went 2.0 16v with the same mp9 setup, the car pulled ok,
i've now got gotec fuel management and the 16v is unbelievably strong
with fuel management you can tune everything from

advance or retard ignition timing,injector pulse cycle, amount of fuel rev limiter etc, with mp9 and a chip you can only tune fueling, dont think you can do the ignition or spark with a chip...

I would advise going fuel management....
RICE:
'08 Polo 2.0 Highline

RACE:
'92 GTi 2L 16v
OcTaLL
Cadet
Registered for: 14 years 11 months
Car Model: MK3 GTI 8v
Membership No: 1654

Post by OcTaLL »

MP9 8v wrote:Dictator like any other stand alone engine management system would be more precise in its fulling but would also require splicing into your current wiring harness. The MP9 would be more fule efficient and you just need an oem FI harness but the fuleing wouldnt be so precise. Not to start a manage ment war but I have had good experiences with Gotech and also know a great tuner for it. But it has been said before and I will say it again that the best management is the one your selected tuner is comfortable with and has experience with as a management system is only as good as the tuning/ map for your needs of course.
Why would MP9 be more fuel efficient than a stand alone?
Past rides:
Renault Clio III
'93 VW GTi 2.0 8v
'04 VW Golf Life 1.6i
'96 Corsa 1.3IE
'93 Uno Pacer SX 1400
'91 Uno Fire 1100
'78 VW Beetle 1600SP
TMG
Cadet
Registered for: 15 years 10 months

Post by TMG »

It has a knock sensor which allows it to respond dynamically to the fuel quality and other running conditions of the car. It will idle rock solid and perform like a stock vehicle. Also in case of sensor failure or other modes of failure encountered in long term service OEM systems like this are much more adept at keeping the motor running (less likelihood of a break down) and can be serviced by any VW/Bosch service center in the country. The system is designed for all aspects of the vehicle and holistically is much better developed than an aftermarket system that oftentimes is inexpertly slapped in to service from the perspective of a normal motorist.

For a daily, long term ride the OEM management has some serious advantages that I don't often get mentioned due to a focus on absolute performance and modification on these forums. Over seas you will find a lot more people going for OEM management and switch over to aftermarket only when the level of modification warrants it (and still let the OEM computer handle as many functions as possible which is the advantage of a piggy-back solution)
OcTaLL
Cadet
Registered for: 14 years 11 months
Car Model: MK3 GTI 8v
Membership No: 1654

Post by OcTaLL »

TMG wrote:It has a knock sensor which allows it to respond dynamically to the fuel quality and other running conditions of the car. It will idle rock solid and perform like a stock vehicle. Also in case of sensor failure or other modes of failure encountered in long term service OEM systems like this are much more adept at keeping the motor running (less likelihood of a break down) and can be serviced by any VW/Bosch service center in the country. The system is designed for all aspects of the vehicle and holistically is much better developed than an aftermarket system that oftentimes is inexpertly slapped in to service from the perspective of a normal motorist.

For a daily, long term ride the OEM management has some serious advantages that I don't often get mentioned due to a focus on absolute performance and modification on these forums. Over seas you will find a lot more people going for OEM management and switch over to aftermarket only when the level of modification warrants it (and still let the OEM computer handle as many functions as possible which is the advantage of a piggy-back solution)
If I have an aftermarket system with a wideband lambda, won't it do the same as the knock sensor for mp9? Or is it completely diferent?
Past rides:
Renault Clio III
'93 VW GTi 2.0 8v
'04 VW Golf Life 1.6i
'96 Corsa 1.3IE
'93 Uno Pacer SX 1400
'91 Uno Fire 1100
'78 VW Beetle 1600SP
joggiep
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 20 years 4 months
Car Make: Audi
Car Model: Amarok V6
Membership No: 664

Post by joggiep »

OcTaLL wrote:If I have an aftermarket system with a wideband lambda, won't it do the same as the knock sensor for mp9? Or is it completely diferent?
Knock sensing and the AFR that the lamda reads are diffrent things that are messured .. BTW Knock sensing on the MP9 is pretty cr@p in any event.
Joggie Pretorius
---------------------------------------
EX - CARS
Jetta CSX 1.8 8v
Golf CTi 1.8 8v
Polo 1.6 lux
SEAT Ibiza Sport
VW Polo 2.0 Highline
BMW E90 320D
VW Caddy 2.0 8V
Nissan X-trail 2.0 dCi
VW Jetta 2.0 16V Turbo
VW Polo 1.6 Comfortline
BMW 335
Suzuki SV1000S (125hp - 109NM)
Audi RSQ3
CURRENT CARS
VW Amarok V6 Exstream
Bash21
Enlisted
Registered for: 9 years 7 months

Post by Bash21 »

Hi guys, need abit of advise with regards to Full Mp9 n diktator management...bawt a mk1 2door with 11.4 polo 2005 motor in, bawt a diktator management system n got it installed. Tried to start car it swings but does not take, battery is charged up, coil is receiving power, fuel lines is running properly, power is at the injectors, half tank petrol, ended up just taking it to a qaulified mechanic. So mechanic states that I should switch to the full mp9, will be the most realible and easiest to get the car started n up running. abit confused n unsure what is the best choice ? Pls help... :cry:
THANAS
Forum Advertiser
Registered for: 10 years 8 months
Car Model: AW Polo GTi
Membership No: 2035

Post by THANAS »

You don't need a mechanic you need a tuner.
Torker
General
Registered for: 18 years 1 month
Car Model: Golf GT
Membership No: 1464

Post by Torker »

Have you got a laptop connected to the Dicktator, check for rpm when cranking. If no rpm, check that Hall sender is getting power when cranking. If there is power (5V) move it to a 12V supply and check rpm again, some Hall senders aren't happy with 5V. If still no rpm, replace hall sender.
Current rides:

VW Golf - 83 GT 2.1 16V 2-door with throttles
VW Golf - 78 LS 2.0 8V 4-door (2.1 ABF with throttles in progress)
VW Golf - '08 Citi Storm - 1.4 for now
Hyundai - 1.4 Getz (daily)
Bash21
Enlisted

Post by Bash21 »

Thanx for the reply guys appreciate the assistance. I was thinking about taking it to a tuner but then again thort rather get the car started before taking it to a tuner incase it wasn't a tunning problem :crazy: .... I connected the a laptop but wen wanting to calibrate the tps, it says "tps is not in range" looked at rpm while cranking no movement at all. Would it just be better for me to go full mp9 to get this car started? :sad:
Torker
General

Post by Torker »

Bash21 wrote:Thanx for the reply guys appreciate the assistance. I was thinking about taking it to a tuner but then again thort rather get the car started before taking it to a tuner incase it wasn't a tunning problem :crazy: .... I connected the a laptop but wen wanting to calibrate the tps, it says "tps is not in range" looked at rpm while cranking no movement at all. Would it just be better for me to go full mp9 to get this car started? :sad:
If you've got issues with the TPS and Hall sender it will affect the MP9 as well so either way it must be sorted before the car will start.
Current rides:

Quik-Trix
Lieutenant
Registered for: 15 years 8 months
Car Model: '84 Mk1 2.0 20v ITB's
Membership No: 3004

Post by Quik-Trix »

Which coil do you have? 3 Pin MP9 type or Bottle type with TP100?

Dicktator is not that hard of a system to wire in ( I learnt some neat tips from Torker), you should start a new thread and we can help you troubleshoot.
Bash21
Enlisted

Post by Bash21 »

Nooooo :bang: lol. currently have the tp100 n the coil looks like a bottle so assume that a bottle type. :grin: pls forgive me guys if I'm abit slow on the take off, I don't knw a lot about these things, 1st car I bawt and literally had to build this car up...
Dodging
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 18 years 6 months
Car Make: Opel,VW, Ford
Car Model: Corsa, Citi, Figo
Membership No: 1995

Post by Dodging »

Is there a map on the Dicktator?

Just asking the obvious
I used to have money.... But now I have a Racecar!!! :driving:
Quik-Trix
Lieutenant

Post by Quik-Trix »

I found it much easier to use the 3pin Mp9 coil and ditch the whole tp100 wiring loom with the bottle coil. Easier to fault find and wire.
Bash21
Enlisted

Post by Bash21 »

Uhm, I loaded a map on the diktator, emailed ferroli workshop since I bawt the diktator from n the reply I got was to load the 1600 8v map that cums with cd just to get the car started and then get it mapped properly by a tuner. That clearly didn't work lol. tried other maps well ... Does the 3 pin mp9 coil replace the tp100 aswel? Or do I need sumthing to go with the 3pin? Got a offer today for the diktator so stil insure if I should sell n just go with full mp9, came from mechanic n he mentions that the diktator to complicated for this simple motor. N that mp9 will be more realible
Torker
General

Post by Torker »

Bash21 wrote:Uhm, I loaded a map on the diktator, emailed ferroli workshop since I bawt the diktator from n the reply I got was to load the 1600 8v map that cums with cd just to get the car started and then get it mapped properly by a tuner. That clearly didn't work lol. tried other maps well ... Does the 3 pin mp9 coil replace the tp100 aswel? Or do I need sumthing to go with the 3pin? Got a offer today for the diktator so stil insure if I should sell n just go with full mp9, came from mechanic n he mentions that the diktator to complicated for this simple motor. N that mp9 will be more realible
Dicktator Std you can get working by connecting about 11 wires (running off MAP, not TPS) so far less complicated than MP9. If you do not see rpm when cranking the problem is with either the Hall sender or the wiring on the Hall sender. Sort that out 1st. When you crank the car, does the Dicktator stay connected (bar on graphic display stays green). On some cars the 'Acc' power disconnects when you crank the starter.
Current rides:

Quik-Trix
Lieutenant

Post by Quik-Trix »

Bash21 wrote:Uhm, I loaded a map on the diktator, emailed ferroli workshop since I bawt the diktator from n the reply I got was to load the 1600 8v map that cums with cd just to get the car started and then get it mapped properly by a tuner. That clearly didn't work lol. tried other maps well ... Does the 3 pin mp9 coil replace the tp100 aswel? Or do I need sumthing to go with the 3pin? Got a offer today for the diktator so stil insure if I should sell n just go with full mp9, came from mechanic n he mentions that the diktator to complicated for this simple motor. N that mp9 will be more realible
Yes it does.