Roller bearing crankshaft - Any ideas?

CitiGolf
Cadet
Registered for: 21 years 8 months

Post by CitiGolf »

Hi Guys !

Any of you heard of / using a Roller Bearing Crank? A buddy of mine once mentioned it and said you get a fair bit of extra horses from using it (something about it having less friction, thus more power). I'm not really certain about it: benefits / drawbacks ... can anyone shed light on this topic for me and let me know if it is a worthwhile investment at all. If so, where to get it or have it done.

Thanks !
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

this was something I knew to be available only for Bettles ever. I have not seen anybody offer this for inline 4 motors and I doubt that you will pick up power much in a golf motor even if you manage to get it done. They were aimed at being able to rev on the beetle motors for drags.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Super Stu
VWCSA Member
Car Make: Audi
Car Model: B7 A4 3.0TDI Avant Quattro
Membership No: 274

Post by Super Stu »

The only road car I know of on the market at the moment with Roller bearings on its cram is a (wait for it) Ford Fiesta! :p
Both the 1.3 and 1.6 ROCAM (hence the name) engines do have roller bearings. I have driven the 1.6 (RSi) and it goes ok, not in Citi Life territory :D But is does do well over 220km/h on the clock thanks to a decently shaped body and longish gearing.
2007 - Audi B7 A4 3.0TDi Avant Quattro Tiptronic
2005 - Porsche 911 (997.1) Carrera S
VW Challenge C 51
Revolution Racing Spanner boy