Microbus fuel pump relay keeps failing

jlronning
Enlisted

Microbus fuel pump relay keeps failing

Post by jlronning » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:17 pm

1994 VW Microbus shut down and had to be towed in. An auto electrician replaced fuel pump relay, worked OK for a couple months, then it failed too. It was a used relay, so I had a new one put in. It also failed after a short time. Don't want to put another R800 down the hole if something is causing the relays to fail. Any ideas? Also, where is this relay located, if I want to try it myself? It's not with the other relays with the fuses, it's not behind the right rear light where some other relays are located. Thanks for any help. Presently I have the fuel pump wired to the hooter circuit so it's on when the ignition is on but there's a safety issue with that in that it won't shut off when the engine shuts off (i.e. in a collision it'll keep pumping).
g60 golf
Membership No: 388

Re: Microbus fuel pump relay keeps failing

Post by g60 golf » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:39 am

The relay is behind the right rear light.There is a number of others too.
Check maybe it blew the fuse there.Remove all the relays and clean the holders for them.They get dirty due to water entry.The fuses do the same thing.Check the relay inside for water too.
G60 16V GOLF

WHAT WE LEAVE BEHIND IS NOT AS IMPORTANT AS HOW WE LIVED.

IT IS NOT UNSAFE IT IS OLD SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!

ALDO IS THE MAN WITH A GUN.
THATS HOW WE ROLL [SAINT-J]
GTS KNOWS HOW TO MAKE A STICKER.
jlronning
Enlisted

Post by jlronning » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:46 pm

g60 Golf - thanks for the tip. The relay was where you said it was after all, and I did find a blown fuse (looks melted due to bad connection). With new fuse, fuel pump relay works after all.
Mark Taylor
Enlisted

Post by Mark Taylor » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:59 pm

What is the part number/identity no. on the fuel pump relay .... Thanks