Brake light problem - Wierd problem with rear brake lights.

nick
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 21 years 8 months

Post by nick »

ok, if I brake my rear lights go on as usual, but if I brake and hold my foot down on the pedal for say 3 seconds and then lift it, the lights stay on?

Where does the microswitch for the brakes sit, on the pedal or on the master cylinder?

anyone had this problem before, its rather annoying when everything thinks your breaking constantly.
'98 Citi Golf 1.8i
'08 Yamaha BWS100

My Rides Profile
Dust

Post by Dust »

Hey, your switch sits on the master cylinder, its a round cylinder that screws in, with two electronic contacts/connections on it, have it checked out, my Girlfriends had the same problem - but over time it got worse, the lights would only activate when the pedal was depressed fully...

It should be about R60 for a new switch from VW Agents, but when replacing it, make sure you screw it in tight and without damaging the threads, else the fluid leaks all over, and you have a bigger problem...

Cheers,
Dust
don.p

Post by don.p »

howzit,
if i can give my five cents worth.
if your mk1 has a four outlet master cyl then your brake switch sits on the side or end of the master.
if you car uses the later master cyl with the bigger booster the brake switch is mounted next to the brake pedal in which
case the switch could be sticky.
nick
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 21 years 8 months

Post by nick »

hey, k I think I sorted it, as don.p said theres a microswitch that sits on the brake pedal itself, its white in color and was moved sideways so it wasnt cutting off.

thanks all. :D
'98 Citi Golf 1.8i
'08 Yamaha BWS100

My Rides Profile