Citi sonic 1.6 - What do you guys think?

groenmamba

Post by groenmamba »

I usually log in as hagarthehorrible(the Opel Guy)
I'm looking for a cheaper car for the wife and came across a very rare (in my mind) Citi golf Sonic 1.6 Carb for a reasonable price. I just lOOOOVE the interior!!!
It's a '99 model and has 78 000km on the clock and in prestine con.
The question is: As a opel guy, what signs do i look at to see any acc smash damage? Abuse? Gearbox probs? The wife will have a look tomorrow and if she like's it, it's hers!
Guy's we all know, Nobody wants to buy crap and the decision is still mine, but i dont want to walk into something with my eyes wide shut! Dont know the model, although seen some, and did they make the Sonic's in '99????????
Input much appreciated, Just think of the new lady club member that you may gain!?

*Hey! Hands OFF ppl!* :cool:
Justin Bennetts

Post by Justin Bennetts »

Sounds like an excellent buy - low mileage, good condition, cool interior.

Look for the usual signs of accident damage if any - mismatched paint, flatting marks, uniform gap between fenders/hatch/bonnet/doors and body.

Golf gearboxes will usually show signs of abuse on the second gear synchro - take the car for a decent drive, rev it up. go through all the gears and if everythings sounds and feels fine it usually is fine.

You can't go wrong with this car - I still believe the CitiGolf is the best value for money budget car around.

Look after this baby and it should last you well into the 200 000 + km mark.
TURBULENCE
Cadet

Post by TURBULENCE »

groenmamba wrote:, and did they make the Sonic's in '99????????
Yes. Sonic's were only made in '98 and '99. Stopped in Nov/Dec 99
2016 Polo TSI Highline, Urano Grey, dsg
2009 Golf GTI, United Grey, dsg - ex
2006 Golf GTI, Tornado Red, manual - ex
2004 Golf GTI 132kw 6MT, Anthracit Blue - ex
2000 Corolla RSI 6MT, white - ex
1997 Jetta VR6, indigo blue - ex
2001 Citi.com, indigo blue - ex
1983 Golf GT 2dr, red - ex
1996 Jetta VR6, burgundy - ex
1998 Polo Classic 1.6, indigo blue - ex
1990 Citi Sport 1800, red - ex
VW MAN
Major
Car Make: VW
Membership No: missing

Post by VW MAN »

HEY THERE

that car snds to be in mint condition....was leka those sonics when they came out...does have a leka interior no doubt..
mileage is low enuf and car will last a long time if looked aftered leka...

oso if she's got full service history thn tht wld b an added bonus.....

cheers!!

:D
Current

'14 Golf 7 GTI DSG White
'09 Jetta 5 2.0TSI DSG, T/Red, DP, LED Lighting, HID kit

EX:

'12 Golf 6 GTI DSG, CW - Stock
'08 Golf 5 GTI T/Red - Revo2, 216HP, 409NM
'01
Golf 4 GTI - Dimsport, Koni, Powerflow
'08 Golf 5 1.9TDI T/Red
'05 Polo Classic 1.6i (written Off)
'01 Citi Golf Chico 1.4i
'85 Golf 2 GTI - 92.2HP, 138NM - K.A.R
'98 Jetta CLI Exec Full House
'83 Golf Mk1 1300 LS (First car)
Hagarthehorrible

Post by Hagarthehorrible »

Thanks for the input guy's,
The Sonic is owned by a Friend, but i don't trust the guy?

No signs of acc damage, but a rather loud humming sound from the gearbox. The gear changes are very smooth with no scratching, just humming.

Michelle do not want to get stuck on the Krugersdorp Highway, and lost interest in the car when she heard the noises.

Last Q: Is the Life the same as the Sonic just with injection?
-CC-
Cadet

Post by -CC- »

hello andrè

die life se bekleedsel is anders maar behalwe vir mp9,is dit basies dieselfde ding.
mad driver

Post by mad driver »

Tell you one thing owned a lot of vw in my life from cti to golf 3 gti polo's the works. The wife drive a life now and that to me is vw best 1600 they produced can't go wrong there, and runs like #### with a very light feul comsupsion
Hagarthehorrible

Post by Hagarthehorrible »

A life would be a better option, but it retails(second hand) for between R60k-R70K and that is not "cheaper" than the Astra that i bought for R74k with all the bells and whistles excl the obc.
Already paid R16000 on the car incl deposit so to sell it for R69k is not really an option. M just loves the Opel but have to pay the Petrol herself, wich becomes the problem from the 23rd of the month.
Don't know any more!
Other option is to give back the company car, take back my Astra and buy the sonic and just fix the gearbox.
If you think woman on there own is a hand full, try mixing woman and cars!
citi.com

Post by citi.com »

The "whine" you're talking about, is it a constant whine thru all the gears, or is it only at low revs in the lower gears? Citi's all have some sort of "whine." Even the FI models.

IMO, it'll be very good buy, seeing as you don't see them that much on the road like the Life and Citi.com.

I also agree on the interior. Very Nice! :)