New recruite

vw dude
Enlisted
Registered for: 21 years 7 months

Post by vw dude »

:cool:
what kind to all u VW fanatix.I'm new to your web forum and i just want to say that i think all the info u guys give are well worth the read.I'm happy to be apart of the most well loved car group in the world and i think that nothing comes close to a VW no matter what and i'm sure u all agree with me.Anyway i own a 98 POLO 1.8i (classic) with a Doug Wallce free flow and a BMC panel filter.The restricter pipe to the front of the box i removed and it was well worth the effort, however what are the benefits of drilling the air box as opposed to ducting (ram air induction).What else can i do to make it more lively as there is a bit of lag on the engine between 0rpm and 3000rpm.Will chipping do the trick.

_
VW : CHICK MAGNETS
citi.com

Post by citi.com »

Welcome Dude! :) :)

Hope you'll enjoy your time here as much as I do!! :D
Nezaam POLO-R
Cadet
Registered for: 21 years 8 months

Post by Nezaam POLO-R »

What else can i do to make it more lively

How much Money you have to spend???

:D
Nezaam
'98 2.0 Polo-R 8v
'88 1.3 Fox (Foxy Cleopatra) - Project Trackcar
Virus
Cadet

Post by Virus »

Welcome to the family dude, depends on how much you have to spend... Chipping will help, but that depends on how much more power you want :cool:
Power is Nothing Without Control...
Nezaam POLO-R
Cadet

Post by Nezaam POLO-R »

Chipping wont really give you a huge improvement ,
but its a good start....

be prepare to part with about R1900 to R2200

You can run a cam and freeflow without chipping , but to optimise the effects of the other mods , you will have to chip eventually.

Bottomline is... On a stage 1 mods , be prepared to spend +/-R 5000

Net my sentjie © innie blikkie
Nezaam
'98 2.0 Polo-R 8v
'88 1.3 Fox (Foxy Cleopatra) - Project Trackcar
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

Mmm - drilling the airbox is a worse way of doing it than putting ducting into it. You will most likley never get ram air effect but what it does do is bring colder than engine bay heat into the motor. Just to give you a quick idea of how hot it gets. Yesterday in JHB Rinus was playing with his management system and there is an air temp sender in the back of his airbox. The car was standing still for a while and the air tmp went to 60 odd degrees - it was around 20 outside. Now if you drill holes in your airbox they tend to suck hot air anyway - no matter where you put them so the best is to get some ducting - make a nice big hole the ducting fits into and get that pointing to the front where it can get at least ambient air rather than engine bay heat. You can also take your airbox and smooth it inside by cutting all the ribbing out. Chipping might be worthwhile but take it to a tuner like Zabka and get an opinion on how close the fuelling and timing is now as it might not have a big effect if everything is already just about spot on and then you might feel disappointed.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
vw dude
Enlisted
Registered for: 21 years 7 months

Post by vw dude »

:D
thank u guys for the very warm reception and welcome.I forgot to mention that i live in Durban.If u know of any reputable tuning companies here please let me know.The car is an absolute dream to drive but i want more power at the top.From take off it is a little slow but once the third gear is hooked the car is #### bound.Also tell me what are good springs for the car as i intend fitting on a set of 17".I want a comfortable ride so when i hit a bump the car must not feel like it is going to bust the shock.Well money is not the problem but if u could give estimate prices i would appreciate it.(single not married thats why i have money).hee hee.O' i work for the ROAD ACCIDENT FUND so don't kill yourselves racing.

___
VW : CHICK MAGNETS