Post by jetta786 »

what has happened to this topic?
Bierman
Enlisted
Registered for: 10 years 3 months

Re: Keihin Carb as used in the Citigolf

Post by Bierman »

HI Guys

Im looking at this for some guidance, I have a 1600 auto and the car has been struggling for the past week when going uphill, it would loose power and then die,it can start immidiatly afterwards but then all the way to the top it feels as if the car is not getting enough fuel.

I replaced the petrol pump, but the problem seems to still be there, I was told ontop of the carb is a screw ( which I don't see on the mentioned pics ) this is supposedly to adjust the needle and see to either increase the fuel into the float chamber or decrease.

No I would like to know what might the problem be on the car, and also how many turns do I need to turn either clockwise or anti to adjust the amount of fuel going into the chamber

Thanks
marzbars
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 16 years 2 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: 1988 Corrado 16V
Membership No: 1316

Post by marzbars »

Subscribed
jetta786
Cadet
Registered for: 12 years 5 months
Car Make: vw
Car Model: MK5 JETTA COMFORTLINE 2LTR
Membership No: 1715

Post by jetta786 »

if your car start immediately, then there is certainly fuel. if you insist on adjusting the float, turn anti-clockwise. not too much. i would check the timing first.
MikesDub1984
Enlisted
Registered for: 11 years
Car Model: 2.0l 8valve Citi

Post by MikesDub1984 »

Hi All,

I know this thread is old but I as I struggled with this model carb for years and eventually found out what M and O is for I am going to share. As I understand it, it is vacuum enrichment. Meaning throttle position doesn't change but as you go up an uphill the vacuum increased as there is more load on the engine. These two the together help enrich the mixture. M is the valve and O is the jet. This is what I've deducted after reading hundreds of articles over the years, I might be wrong, but if I am, please post the correct answer.

;-)
mdsiband
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 9 months

Post by mdsiband »

What happened to the PDF file that was going to be posted?
jetta786
Cadet
Registered for: 12 years 5 months
Car Make: vw
Car Model: MK5 JETTA COMFORTLINE 2LTR
Membership No: 1715

Post by jetta786 »

mdsiband wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:37 pm What happened to the PDF file that was going to be posted?
I also would like to know please? It started off very informative.
I know there are folks on the forum who have tons of knowledge. Please do share?
Joe_Doe
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 7 months

Post by Joe_Doe »

I am so stubborn and stupid when it comes to my car, that Ive fiddled so much with the carb. (I dont recommend that any non mechanic do this unless your aim is to get grey hair or lose the hair you have)

In the beginning, I really relied on this thread when I was rejetting and I got the car running based on what I found

But this fills in the blanks: https://workshop-manuals.com/volkswagen ... ttor07.78/

Worth a look if you were wondering about this carb
Mohammedkr
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by Mohammedkr »

Any one know how to tune these carbs
missioner
Major
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

Mohammedkr wrote:Any one know how to tune these carbs
Read this thread
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
Melvin Shale
Enlisted
Registered for: 11 years 6 months
Car Model: VW MK5 GTi

Post by Melvin Shale »

Sorry guys I know it's an old thread. Any Ody know how to check if my second stage is actually working? Recently bought a MK2 Jetta CSX with a 1800 carb motor. It drives really nice but feels like after 4000RPM it's hesitating. If you really driving Ng it hard from 1st gear it's got power up untill 4000RPM and then nothing.
missioner
Major
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

Melvin Shale wrote:Sorry guys I know it's an old thread. Any Ody know how to check if my second stage is actually working? Recently bought a MK2 Jetta CSX with a 1800 carb motor. It drives really nice but feels like after 4000RPM it's hesitating. If you really driving Ng it hard from 1st gear it's got power up untill 4000RPM and then nothing.
Second stage has nothing to do with RPM, and everything to do with pedal position.

Remove the air filter assembly from the carb, lean over the carb and look down the barrel, turn the throttle linkage to the full open position and observe if both butterflies open.

Remember they are not synchronous, the first stage opens to 3/4 before the second stage starts opening. Both butterflies should be fully open at full throttle.

I don't think your problem is carb related as the car performs fine at lower revs.

Look for vacuum leaks and also inspect the carb base gasket for cracks.
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
ICE King
Cadet
Registered for: 12 years 11 months
Car Model: Polo GTI 20V , Mazdarati

Post by ICE King »

Have you checked ignition timing?

Stock Carb 8 valve peak power is 5000 - 5500rpm's ,there's not much left after 4000rpm's.

to add to the list of things to check:
1. Get someone to step on the accelerator pedal in the car to make sure throttle opens fully on the carb.
2.Could also be a leaking carb base plate.
3. Spark plug gap
1992 Mazda 323 B3 - Masala Mods
2008 VW POLO GTI - 76mm DP + 63mm exhaust , induction, FMIC, Thanas Tuned
ICE King
Cadet
Car Model: Polo GTI 20V , Mazdarati

Post by ICE King »

Some carb cleaner might just do the trick if you haven't tried it already.
1992 Mazda 323 B3 - Masala Mods
2008 VW POLO GTI - 76mm DP + 63mm exhaust , induction, FMIC, Thanas Tuned
JohnnyD
Cadet
Registered for: 13 years 8 months
Car Model: Citigolf Shuttle
Membership No: missing

Post by JohnnyD »

I found out on another site what P is for, does anyone know where it connects to? Mine broke and I have no idea where it connects and now with the colder weather I can't pull the choke too far as engine wants to die then. Tried plugging it but made no difference.

P = Vacuum unit fortifier for choke. When applying a vacuum to the outlet o (eg, through the mouth 🙂 slightly lifts the valve if choke fortifier is pulled (located in the cabin). If the vacuum drops at this point valve closes immediately. This system is needed in order to slightly lift the flap fortifier immediately after a cold start.
buggyfan
Cadet
Car Make: mk1
Car Model: GTX
Membership No: missing

Post by buggyfan »

JohnnyD wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:20 am I found out on another site what P is for, does anyone know where it connects to? Mine broke and I have no idea where it connects and now with the colder weather I can't pull the choke too far as engine wants to die then. Tried plugging it but made no difference.

P = Vacuum unit fortifier for choke. When applying a vacuum to the outlet o (eg, through the mouth 🙂 slightly lifts the valve if choke fortifier is pulled (located in the cabin). If the vacuum drops at this point valve closes immediately. This system is needed in order to slightly lift the flap fortifier immediately after a cold start.
On my car it is attached to one of the nipples found on the non return valve situated between the inlet manifold and brake booster
dazza
Field Marshal
Registered for: 16 years 3 months
Car Make: VW and VW
Car Model: Amarok and Citi Sport
Membership No: 1327

Post by dazza »

These carbs can drive you dilly when they not working as you would like but once sorted they just work a treat.
I recently replaced pretty much my entire fuel system and after completion I had some issues with my carb. After plenty fiddling and getting it to run and idle half decently it is now running great again but it needed CO2's set to get it running perfectly again.
Darryn Van Rooyen
Current: 17 Amarok V6 D/C 4Motion H/L Auto
Current: 1987 Citi Sport 1.6
Current: 91 Citi Sport 1.3
Current: 05 Kawasaki 200KDX, 16 KTM 300 EXC
Previous:
14 Amarok BITDI D/C 4Motion H/L Auto
12' MKVI GTI Manual
2009 Audi TT 2.0TFSI S-Tronic
2008 Honda CBX250 Twister - Crashed!
2011 Amarok BiTDI D/C Highline 4Motion
08 RS MKV GTI DSG