Question for the polo guys? - Help needed

Mk1
Major
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: MK7 GTD

Post by Mk1 »

I want to buy a Polo 2000 or 2001 model and wanted to know how good the 1600i Polo is. Are there any problems that one should be aware of before getting one? Second thing is it possible to put 17-inch wheels on to it without having to do any arch work with the standard suspension. Thanks for the help.
Cheers
:;):
My trusty feet...
Rabbit power...
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

I don't own one but know quite a few poeple that had or has them. They seem to be fairly trouble free and I have not heard any complaints. They perform ok for the size but I think 17's are going to be a bit overkill from a performance point of view. They will fit though without having to do archwork etc. if the correct offset rim is used.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Mk1
Major

Post by Mk1 »

Thanks for the input panic-mechanic
I am not looking for performance out of the polo that is what I have my Golf Mk1 For... Polo would be for crusing around and or work....Golf for the weekend...
Tx
My trusty feet...
Rabbit power...
citi.com

Post by citi.com »

As can be seen from my avatar, I drive a Citi. When she was at the panelbeaters, the insurance gave me a 2002 model 1.6i Playa to drive around in.

Very nice car IMHO. It's not as sporty, in performance and handling, in stock form as the Citi, but it's strong points are a solid feel, very easy & comfortable drive, great cabin ambience. Great open road cabability. Performance wasn't bad, fuel-economy also. I didn't like the shape of the boot, though. But I think that for your requirements, the car will do. :)
TURBULENCE
Cadet

Post by TURBULENCE »

I owned a Polo 1.6i Classic for two years, very nice car, absolutely no hassles, performance not too shabby for 1600, especially on the open road and uphills. Only reason why I sold the Polo was because I wanted the VR6, but seeing that the VR is also sold now, I'm thinking of getting another Polo, this time maybe a Playa. Good choice MK1! :;):
2016 Polo TSI Highline, Urano Grey, dsg
2009 Golf GTI, United Grey, dsg - ex
2006 Golf GTI, Tornado Red, manual - ex
2004 Golf GTI 132kw 6MT, Anthracit Blue - ex
2000 Corolla RSI 6MT, white - ex
1997 Jetta VR6, indigo blue - ex
2001 Citi.com, indigo blue - ex
1983 Golf GT 2dr, red - ex
1996 Jetta VR6, burgundy - ex
1998 Polo Classic 1.6, indigo blue - ex
1990 Citi Sport 1800, red - ex
Nezaam POLO-R
Cadet

Post by Nezaam POLO-R »

POLO 1.6

What a question....
Polo is an absolute Pleasure to drive....
1. Comfortable, Spacious
2. Quiet inside
3. Reliable , never had any major problems

I bought the car with 37000kms 3 years ago and put on more than 120000 since and shes just going better.
Got 600 km on a full tank (55lt) when she was standard, fuel consumption is fairly economical.

Only recently did my mods and im very happy with it.
As you can see on my signature its only stage 1 mods , but im already planning the stage 2 mods. :cool:

And i really cant think of any drawbacks on a Polo. Just Sheer Comfortabilty and affordability!

Oh And she sounds the best with a cone filter!!

net my sentjie© innie blikkie
Nezaam
'98 2.0 Polo-R 8v
'88 1.3 Fox (Foxy Cleopatra) - Project Trackcar
TURBULENCE
Cadet

Post by TURBULENCE »

Nezaam_Polo 1.6i wrote: POLO 1.6

Got 600 km on a full tank (55lt) when she was standard, fuel consumption is fairly economical.
Howzit Nezaam, to my knowledge, Polo's have 45 litre fueltanks, but I could be wrong. Could someone shed some light on this?
2016 Polo TSI Highline, Urano Grey, dsg
2009 Golf GTI, United Grey, dsg - ex
2006 Golf GTI, Tornado Red, manual - ex
2004 Golf GTI 132kw 6MT, Anthracit Blue - ex
2000 Corolla RSI 6MT, white - ex
1997 Jetta VR6, indigo blue - ex
2001 Citi.com, indigo blue - ex
1983 Golf GT 2dr, red - ex
1996 Jetta VR6, burgundy - ex
1998 Polo Classic 1.6, indigo blue - ex
1990 Citi Sport 1800, red - ex
citi.com

Post by citi.com »

TURBULENCE wrote:
Nezaam_Polo 1.6i wrote: POLO 1.6

Howzit Nezaam, to my knowledge, Polo's have 45 litre fueltanks, but I could be wrong. Could someone shed some light on this?
That's maybe the claimed figure. My dad's Polo has taken about 54.something litres a couple of times. I think the quoted value is without the Air Vacuum that all tanks have.
Nezaam POLO-R
Cadet

Post by Nezaam POLO-R »

Well , that proves to you that your knowledge needs some modification :D
hehehehe , just kidding

I fill my tank weekly and make sure that the little button on the inside of the tank entry is pushed to fill the reserve as well. Thereby i manage to squeez up until 54.8 lts into her belly.

Also check specs on the www.VW.co.za website for confirmation.

Possibilities for mods & body kits are endless with a POLO!!!

Net my sentjie© innie blikkie
Nezaam
'98 2.0 Polo-R 8v
Mk1
Major

Post by Mk1 »

Hay Guys tx VERY much for your responses.
All the info you gave was good to hear makes me feel very relaxed when buying one.... Cannot wait to get one now...
Will let know how it goes
Cheers
:D :D :D
My trusty feet...
Rabbit power...
fismail
Lieutenant

Post by fismail »

I beg to differ on the handling , having owned a MK1 golf with a 60mm drop in front and 4cm low at the back , well 6cm before sliding around into the N1 Sable Road CC sign , I can say this !!!!!

580 + on a tank , filling up to the brim , with use of the airlock.
Very smooth drive compared to my MK1 , slightly tail-happy on certain corners , then again I do donner the car around , it's very low , so say most people , but I still feel it's too high , a #### excellent heater in this cold Cape weather , only snag is if you replace the wipers , make sure the drivers side one has the wind deflector on it otherwise when driving above 120 with the wipers on , it er "lifts" off.
On the handling side , Citi.com , the MK1 and Polo are way different , car witha boot is more comfortable and stable , thats my experience withit , it seems to handle and can take more punishment depending on how you throw it into a bend :-)

I'm running 195/50/15 , not sure what the offset it , but if I turn my wheels lock , then they touch against the plastic arches in the fender ! My right front one has already been should I say "shredded" in half !

So watch if you go for 17" ...
98 VW Citi Golf Chico Lux - written off
99 VW Polo Classic - sold
01 BMW 320d/M sportpack / topaz blue - sold
01 BMW 325ci/M sportpack / topaz blue - sold
01 BMW 325i/M facelift sportpack / titan silver - writeoff
05 BMW 330d/A exclusive pack - mystic blue - current
Mk1
Major

Post by Mk1 »

Hi fismail
Saw your car at the Gymkhana, and you did say about the plastic being worn away and making a whistling sound in the door... I am not planning on lowering the car so I hope that 17-inch should be ok... You have gone quite low... Looks good but could not put 17's on then..
Cheers
Mk1 Yellow CTi
My trusty feet...
Rabbit power...
fismail
Lieutenant

Post by fismail »

The crap thing is , I can't find no smashed up Polos , from the rear at least , so I can't salvage that plastic arch for the front , brand new they just over R400 , I want my mk1 back :-( ... plus the car is due for a 90000km service , I just had a 75000km service done like er 3 months ago , my wheels need rotation , jussis , I need to work from home *phew*
98 VW Citi Golf Chico Lux - written off
99 VW Polo Classic - sold
01 BMW 320d/M sportpack / topaz blue - sold
01 BMW 325ci/M sportpack / topaz blue - sold
01 BMW 325i/M facelift sportpack / titan silver - writeoff
05 BMW 330d/A exclusive pack - mystic blue - current
citi.com

Post by citi.com »

fismail wrote:I beg to differ on the handling , having owned a MK1 golf with a 60mm drop in front and 4cm low at the back , well 6cm before sliding around into the N1 Sable Road CC sign , I can say this !!!!!

580 + on a tank , filling up to the brim , with use of the airlock.
Very smooth drive compared to my MK1 , slightly tail-happy on certain corners , then again I do donner the car around , it's very low , so say most people , but I still feel it's too high , a #### excellent heater in this cold Cape weather , only snag is if you replace the wipers , make sure the drivers side one has the wind deflector on it otherwise when driving above 120 with the wipers on , it er "lifts" off.
On the handling side , Citi.com , the MK1 and Polo are way different , car witha boot is more comfortable and stable , thats my experience withit , it seems to handle and can take more punishment depending on how you throw it into a bend :-)

I'm running 195/50/15 , not sure what the offset it , but if I turn my wheels lock , then they touch against the plastic arches in the fender ! My right front one has already been should I say "shredded" in half !

So watch if you go for 17" ...
Argggg, I do this every time!! ie. don't explain myself properly.

I agree that the Playa I drove, did actually handle better, was more comfortable and stable. It's just that it lacked the feel of the Citi. It felt more comfortable, sacrificing the "sporty" feel of the Citi. The whole driving experience felt a little more "detached" than the Citi.

The Citi makes me feel more like a hooligan than the Playa. But, I guess a few mods to the Playa's suspension might change that.... :p
Nezaam POLO-R
Cadet

Post by Nezaam POLO-R »

True though that it is difficult to get parts for a Polo, but then again it is difficult to get parts for any car less than 5 years old. only the golf MK 1's are "VOLOP"

If you are in cape town and looking for spare parts for any car younger than 5 years try "BONNERTS" on the corner of Vanguard drive in Epping (right opposite the Fire Station)

ive managed to get quite a few parts , odd & end there for a fraction of what the agents want and the best.....
ITS ALL ORIGINAL PARTS!!!

Net my sentjie © innie blikkie
:cool:
Nezaam
'98 2.0 Polo-R 8v
MO.
Cadet

Post by MO. »

Mk1

I've had my Playa for a week now, and its been running on 215/40/17's on the standard setup .... no problems.
Firoz what drop do you have that shreds 15's ?? cause I'm thinking of going the 40 mm route rolling the fenders
BlueBlob
Panic's Place

Post by BlueBlob »

MO. wrote:Mk1

I've had my Playa for a week now, and its been running on 215/40/17's on the standard setup .... no problems.
Firoz what drop do you have that shreds 15's ?? cause I'm thinking of going the 40 mm route rolling the fenders
I am running 205/45/16 with a 40mm drop on a Classic, and have no problems with scraping or anything. Nick_Playa runs the same tyres on a 60mm drop on a Playa, also with no problems. He did roll the rear arches though..