Mk1 1.8 8v doing 179.10!

buggman

Post by buggman »

hi guys!!
i just wanna know, i ran a 179.10km/h in my cti 1.8 8v.
how is that for the first time on the track?
i feel proud of myself and of what i made but would like to know if that is a good speed or not?
o ja by the way, the only mods are a 276 cam and free flow/branch!!
thanx cheers

p.s please reply and tell me what u think!!!!!
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

That is a good speed - I know some of the 2.0 8V wernt going much faster ...
jsk
Cadet

Post by jsk »

Well, I don't think that was so hot, buggman,no offense :;): .
I ran a MK2 a 1.8 8v std carb+airbox with 272 cam,branch,freeflow and gasflowed head and got 180.9km/h
What do you say now? :p
You see that you must go and check what else you should do or whatelse you should correct,because in my opinion you should actually do better,since you got injection and has a lighter body as well,whereas I don't have injection and has heavier body size.

Its only my 2 cents :cool:
Meet the Minogue sisters:{Kylie} Golf MK2 GTi 1.8 8v evo2 (103bhp on wheels @ Big Z)
{Danni} Golf MK2 GTi 2.0 16VT (future project)
Super Stu
VWCSA Member
Car Make: Audi
Car Model: B7 A4 3.0TDI Avant Quattro
Membership No: 274

Post by Super Stu »

Mk1's have terrible aerodynamics.
I did 180.8, a Polo with the same power as me did 189 and that was on the rev limiter.
Mk1's are great robot racers, but for top end you need a Mk2 or better.
To get a Mk1 over 190 you need stacks more power
2007 - Audi B7 A4 3.0TDi Avant Quattro Tiptronic
2005 - Porsche 911 (997.1) Carrera S
VW Challenge C 51
Revolution Racing Spanner boy
Mk1
Major
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: MK7 GTD

Post by Mk1 »

I have a Moded CTi and find it easy to run up to over 200km\h not on a 1/4 mile though
:cool:
My trusty feet...
Rabbit power...
Slowboat
Lieutenant

Post by Slowboat »

Hi Buggman

I think your run was ok.

JSK your run was on the bad side. If you read Buggman's post properly you will notice that he didn't have his CTi's head gassflowed. Since you have a MKII and those mods you said, you should've been doing over 190Km/h. Weight does NOT have an influence on top speed. It will only have influence on acceleration. MKI has a very bad aerodynamic body so very useless on top end. I had a MKI 1.8L 8V carb with gassflowed head, 280 cam and freeflow and almost done 200Km/h. So I think you need a bit of work on your side. NOT picking any fights just stating the facts :).

Cheers
If you're behind, you're slow. If you're in front, you're in my way.

Theo
Lieutenant

Post by Theo »

Mk1, this is on Gerotek, i.e. not a flat piece of road that stretches further than the I can see. Also, these are true speeds, rather than what is indicated by the speedo...
jsk
Cadet

Post by jsk »

Slowboat,

All is good.:)
What carb did you had in your 1.8 8v?Was it the std 1800 carb or a performance carb?
Further more you also had a 280 cam,which I did not had and buggman had a 276,also longer duration than mine. ???
Like Theo said,it was at G/tek.I usually get it far more than 180 on a normal road,even though I had it FLAT all around G/tek.
But with your results on G/tek,you must have been close competition for that silver MK1 that had won the class,who had done just over the 200km/h mark. :)
If you think I need more work with what I have stated,what do you suggest I do to get it up to std?
Meet the Minogue sisters:{Kylie} Golf MK2 GTi 1.8 8v evo2 (103bhp on wheels @ Big Z)
{Danni} Golf MK2 GTi 2.0 16VT (future project)