Punctures

fismail
Lieutenant
Registered for: 21 years 8 months

Post by fismail »

Howzit ..

I got those Velocity Max 195/50/15 tires on my wagon , got 12000 km's on them in 3 months , did rotation , and the other day like 2 weeks ago I checked and saw I had a flat wheel , cause of it was a staple or nail bent in the shape of a U.

So off I goto the local garage where they plug it , those things they druk into the tread , but it still leaks , so I put a old 14" Citi rim on and trek off to find another puncture place , we do the plug again ,removing the old one , no joy , so we stick in a tube , those of you who know me know I moer the car , so anyways it lasts 2 weeks , and last night on my way to the GTi meeting , I donner it round a corner and make those wheels grip , but I think the back left , ie punctured one was experiencing too much stress cos there is a tube in there , well , was until 6-30 this morning , cos now I don't see the valve of the tube anymore , this after coming from hospital from seeing my old lady , so now what I want to know is , I am going back to TWT Claremont today , but now how do you plug a tyre that has 2 holes in the tread without buying a new one and messing up my rotation and mileage , whilst retaining some form of stability , I do want to do Sunday's Gymkhana on my 15" , I don't think green , gold in front and gray at the back will look so lekker , plus the car needs a service and new Ferodo's are most like going to be put on !

Help on the tyre please , asseblief !
98 VW Citi Golf Chico Lux - written off
99 VW Polo Classic - sold
01 BMW 320d/M sportpack / topaz blue - sold
01 BMW 325ci/M sportpack / topaz blue - sold
01 BMW 325i/M facelift sportpack / titan silver - writeoff
05 BMW 330d/A exclusive pack - mystic blue - current
Justin Bennetts

Post by Justin Bennetts »

Hi Firoz

Please give me your honest opinion on the Velocity Max tyres.

I have Conti Sport Contacts on at the moment that need replacing soon. I have two new Velocity Max's that came off my brothers car so I would only have to buy two more to complete the set - way cheaper than 4 new Conti's.

I have been very happy with the Contis but have absolutely no experience with the Velocity's - please tell me what you think - wet, dry, snow, hail, etc.

Cheers
Justin
fismail
Lieutenant

Post by fismail »

Justin Bennetts wrote:Hi Firoz

Please give me your honest opinion on the Velocity Max tyres.

I have Conti Sport Contacts on at the moment that need replacing soon. I have two new Velocity Max's that came off my brothers car so I would only have to buy two more to complete the set - way cheaper than 4 new Conti's.

I have been very happy with the Contis but have absolutely no experience with the Velocity's - please tell me what you think - wet, dry, snow, hail, etc.

Cheers
Justin
On coming to the meeting last night , I moered it round a bend , I mean I really hammered it , they screached and yelped and went flat this morning , hehe , only the one on the back left though , cos of the tube in there , all in all , they handle , I have'nt done my usual De Waal Drive at 140 + yet , but in wet weather , knowing my bout into the side road signs on the highway , I can't complain , it's a very smart looking tire and it does the job , it was either this for me , or Eagle F1's which has a way better grip and lot less mileage , 20000 to be realistic , Bluebobs Polo experience , I'd go for it.

As Grant says , don't rule out a Yokohama A539 , oh yes , the Velocity's are slightly noisy , I don't mind as the sound is loud all the time , but on a quiet day , you can hear some rumble , nothing unpleasant though , and for the price I paid , R450 each , well worth it !
Nezaam POLO-R
Cadet

Post by Nezaam POLO-R »

As far as i know , velocity's are made by Dunlop and seems to be a very popular tyre as well.

No real complaints heard about those ,except that the rubber compounds is soft and has a tendency to nogal run off a little quicker than the more expensive brands.

Also they are OK for Frontwheels , but not the best (in an affordable way , if you know what i mean)

Im currently running the conti's infront and the velocitys rear
and also due for rotation, but need more input re : Velocity's
as the drivetrain tyres

net my sentjie © innie blikkie.

Oh , Justin , saw you at the meeting , but completely forgot to ask you about OOM's details and the head jobbie.

:cool:
Nezaam
'98 2.0 Polo-R 8v
'88 1.3 Fox (Foxy Cleopatra) - Project Trackcar
fismail
Lieutenant

Post by fismail »

Nezaam_Polo 1.6i wrote:As far as i know , velocity's are made by Dunlop and seems to be a very popular tyre as well.

No real complaints heard about those ,except that the rubber compounds is soft and has a tendency to nogal run off a little quicker than the more expensive brands.

Also they are OK for Frontwheels , but not the best (in an affordable way , if you know what i mean)

Im currently running the conti's infront and the velocitys rear
and also due for rotation, but need more input re : Velocity's
as the drivetrain tyres

net my sentjie © innie blikkie.

Oh , Justin , saw you at the meeting , but completely forgot to ask you about OOM's details and the head jobbie.

:cool:
Drive my car if you want to Nezaam , then you tell me !

Bear in mind , in your cars heightened and not enlightened form , you admit yourself that the grip aint so good , so come down a little lower to earth :D and we can see ...
Brandon
Cadet

Post by Brandon »

Firoz , when you had the pucture repaired the first 2 times , what method did the rapairer use ?
Otherwise yes , go to TWT , I'm quite sure that they will be able to sort something out for you .
Fredster

Post by Fredster »

Have A539's on the Caddy at the front at the moment, must say - I'm impressed with the wet weather grip. Had Michellin MXF Sport on before and the Yoki's has a slight advantage in the wet weather department. The A539's is also a silicone based rubber design which is supposed to give you the grip of a sporty tyre along with the life exectancy of a passenger tyre. At the moment I can't comment on that as I've only had them on the caddy for about 8000 km's now and they had a hard hammering already ( Been about killarney at full clap a few times ;) ) and I keep them going on the limit thru most of my daily driving. Definately not the best of driving habits with regards to durability on the tyres and the rest, but what the heck - I enjoy my car every day :laugh:
fismail
Lieutenant

Post by fismail »

so anyways yesterday on my way to Bellville for work purposes , I made a turn at TWT N1 , so ja after 20 mins becuase they were like majorly shortstaffed , they attended to me ...

Now my quickfix was drukking a tube on the mag , problem was I think it started to flex or something because of me moering it round a bend making the tires yelp on Monday going to the GTi meeting.So ja , the flat wheel yesterday morning was'nt a good idea to drive on for a further 100 metresvery slowly out of Groote Schuur hospital , what seems to happen with this Velocity tires is that the sidewall does'nt disintegrate , it simply collapses into a powdered black dust.So ja I threw the tire into the attic at home and grunted and ranted and bought another one for R495.

So ja , 11000 + kays on 3 tires and 100 kays on one.Oh well , at least I got a new tire now.

Words of wisdom from TWT , if their Velocity tires go bang bang or do something they not supposed to go , then go back to TWT and not the garage round the corner ! The R50 I spent to get the tire right I lost , my own indaba , moral of the story , cars are a major expense ... be carefull !