Pinging? - Please explain...

Frederic

Post by Frederic »

I had to put petrol in at Excell last night. I usually fill up at Shell but due to ciscumstances couldn't.

Noticed my car has this funny flat spot when flooring it. Always seems to happen in second and third from 5000rpm upwards. Almost feels like it's flooding or stalling can't really tell, jurky like feeling. When I release the accellerator slightly it starts pulling normal again. This happens randomly.

Never had this problem before today. Could the petrol be repsonsible?

What is meant by pinging exactly?
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

Yes most likely caused by fuel. Do yourself a favour and drive that stuff out and put in shell asap. What you can also do is sometime tonight find a tin of race fuel and chuck that in. The VR just LOVES that stuff. Put it into a fairly empty tank and feel the diifs.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Frederic

Post by Frederic »

Luckily I only put in R50, shouldn't last too long :)

So where does one get race fuel and what is the cost more or less? :;):
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

Tony @ Zabka stocks for R102,60 for a tin. Some shell garages stock for around R120 to anything like R150 a 20l tin. There is one in Marlboro road that sold for R120 last time I went past there.
Oh yes pinging is basically when the fuel mixture starts burning and has reached big pressure before the piston has turned at the top. There are basically 2 reasons. The octane is too low for the compression ratio or the timing is set way too fast. You will basically never hear the VR ping as the management has a knock sensor and it pulls the timing back - so basically the drop in performance you feel with the lower octane is timing retard in an attempt to stay away from pinging(pinking or Knock or detonation or dieseling also means the same thing) When you now add higher octane it says - thanks no ping so it advances the timing by quite a bit because there will be nothing to detect.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.