Bad morning - no brakes - Brakes *&$#ed up

GlfCti

Post by GlfCti »

This morning on the way to work i realised that my brakes have suddenly got realy bad - when the car is off the brake pedal is stiff and get stiffer with one or two pumps , but a soon as you start it there is almost no pressure , only at the last bit , and it generally locks the wheels up when you push it that far . 1993 cti

Help would be appreciated
thanks
Chaos Child

Post by Chaos Child »

check ur brake fluid level. generally that happens when the brake fluid is too low. it can be also the case that u have a leak somewhere in ur brake lines and it's sucking air into the system. best thing to do is just top up the brake fluid and see if it goes low again. if it does, get someone to push the brake pedal constantly while u r checking all the break lines to find a leak. when found a leak, u most probably will have to replace that part of the brake lines: drain the system, replace the line, fill it with brake fluid again and then u'll have to bleed it. if u r a bit cautiuos at doing it urself, take it to any garage to have the brake lines serviced.
btw, how's the brake pads? when last did u change them?
GlfCti

Post by GlfCti »

Pads are pretty new - and the brake fluid is fine . Can the cylindes go suddenly ?
Chaos Child

Post by Chaos Child »

then the two things i'll look for will be the main cylinder, it might be sucking air; alternatively the brake cylinder seals. also check if u can see whether the cylinders are greasy, "wet" with the brake fluid or if there's any wet spots underneath ur car, which will indicate that it leaks. there's also a thin pipe, which goes to ur main brake cylinder, which is used for vacuum. check if it is attached properly on both ends and is not cracked.
Brandon
Cadet

Post by Brandon »

GlfCti wrote:Pads are pretty new - and the brake fluid is fine . Can the cylindes go suddenly ?
When did you replace the pads ?
Did you bleed the system when you fitted the new pads , how badly worn were the old ones , and did you need to top up fluid before or after you fitted the new pads .
The CTi will drop the fluid level in reservoir enough during normal pad wear to begin sucking air into the system through the reservoir.
Otherwise , yes , it could be a leak in the system , probabaly inside one of the rear drums .
GlfCti

Post by GlfCti »

Thanks very much , my mech did the pads about 2-3 months ago , i'll check all the above mentioned in the morning and go from there , it must of happened in about a 2-4 period as i had driven it earlier and it was fine.
GlfCti

Post by GlfCti »

I would like to fix it my self , so if possible could explain to me the bleeding procedure ?
thanks
GlfCti

Post by GlfCti »

I checked the car out , pumped the brakes for a bit ,still no pressure. Would the leaks be visible on the outside of the drums and disks ,if so no leaks - the brake fluid level is fine ( is it possible that the air would displace the brake fluid in the lines therefore your level staying hi. The master cylinder has a very air like sound when the brakes are being pumped (if the round drum like thing with the fluid resivoir on the front is the master) , the noise seems to be coming from the rear of that were the plunger thing is. Hope this makes sense. I would like to fix this problem on my own , so if someone does not mind giving assistants via this post it would be much appreciated.
If for instants a seal in the cylinder is gone , is it worth replacing the whole cyllinder or not ( What is the price on a part like such and is it very difficult to fit) my brakes have never been that great , always been a bit spungy.

Any help will be appreciated.
At the moment the car is undrivable due almost no brakes , the only brakes make the wheels lock up , and thats at the very end of the pedal.

thanks
Theo
Lieutenant

Post by Theo »

GlfCti wrote:I would like to fix it my self , so if possible could explain to me the bleeding procedure ?
Download the following .pdf, and have a look at page 10. It explains things better than most of us can:

Golf brakes
GlfCti

Post by GlfCti »

Thanks

One problem still is that i cant find the problem , there does not appear to be any leaks , will the brake fluid level drop if there where leaks or would it be displaced by air ? Cant see any sign of leaks round the servo or both cylinders. nothing were any of the lines connect. The is a very air like sound coming from the back of the servo when pumped. May just be the air in the system.

Someone please help , it isn't very drivable and i have been without a car all week
Slowboat
Lieutenant

Post by Slowboat »

Hi

If you quickly pump the brakes a few times and then hold it in. If it starts to sink in (pedal level drops) then it is the master cylinder seals are shot. In your description it sounds like that the master cylinder seals are shot. If you have a leak somewhere the fuild level will drop and you would also see, in most cases, where it is leaking from there.

As a last resort bleed the brake system. Start bleeding the master cylinder first then the wheels. If this doesn't sort it out go buy a new master cylinder or seals.

Brakes is the most important component on the car. If they are not working properly it can cost you a lot if you crash into someone. Where you can spend around R500 for a new master cylinder or spend quite a few grands fixing someone else's car. I prefer the R500 option.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Cheers
If you're behind, you're slow. If you're in front, you're in my way.