Fuel consumption - Carb 1800 8v mk1

Golf Fanatic
Lieutenant
Registered for: 21 years 7 months

Post by Golf Fanatic »

Hi Guys

I get between 480-500km on my tank is this good, bad average.
There is not much difference in the consuntion if i hammer it or not.
Is it true that the last quarter of petrol in your tanks has a higher consumption.
Any guy with a similar setup plz respond
:( :( :(
A3 1.8T Sportech Yellow
Mazda 3
MK1 1800 8v Sidies (Sold My Heart Aches)
MK3 GTI Black (Sold..)
K1 GPR Prokart
Suzuki GSX R 400
Suzuki GSX R 750 (Motor Blown)
Speed
Lunatic
Under
Throttle
jsk
Cadet

Post by jsk »

In my opinion, that is a very bad consumption!Especially if you have a standard setup as far as I can see from your signature.You don't even have a performance airfilter to blame.??? I'm running a 1800 8v MK2 std carb with 272 cam and my consumption is 8.5km/l which converts to 510km/tank.That is even more kilo's than your setup!According to your fuel gauge,yes,the last quarter does appear to have a larger consumption,but that is not the truth,since it is your gauge that gives you that impression,because the last quarter or even the last half of the MK1 and MK2 does show that it get used quicker,but that is only the gauge that works that f&%@#^ up way.Not faster consumption.
If it was me,I would seriously consider to get the fuel/air mixture and CO levels tested at a place.Do you keep it for long in a certain gear before you change or do you often keep it in 4th instead of changing it to 5th?You can get such consumption if you keep hammering your car all time,I don't know how you drive,but if it is normal driving,then it is to heavy,but if you hammer it,then it is normal consumption,you understand?
Thats only my 2c worth.:cool:
Good luck :;):
Meet the Minogue sisters:{Kylie} Golf MK2 GTi 1.8 8v evo2 (103bhp on wheels @ Big Z)
{Danni} Golf MK2 GTi 2.0 16VT (future project)
gambit
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by gambit »

Well as far as I concerned, I would kill to have that kind of fuel consumption, The best i ever got was +/- 550k's with a stock motor.Now I'm lucky if I get 400
Current
'04 Audi A4 1.8T (140kw)
Past
'06 Yamaha YZF-R6
'05 Golf 2.0 TDi Sportline*SOLD*
mk1 CTi 2.0 16vT (Robin)*SOLD*
'09 Chevrolet Captiva 2.4 16v*SOLD*
'05 Nissan Hardbody 3.0 16vTDi *SOLD*
'04 GTi 132kw Custom FRC remap *SOLD*
'92 GTi 2.0 16vT (Lana) *SOLD*
'94 2.0 CLi Jetta (Lois) *SOLD*
'91 GTi 1.8 16v *SOLD*
'87 Citi Sport 1600 (2E motor) *SOLD*

VWCSA # 1253
"I know that son-of-a-b!tch is cheating!..'cos i'm cheating and he beat me"
jsk
Cadet

Post by jsk »

The best fuel consumption I've ever had was when I still had the std 1600 carb motor in with only a freeflow,no branch.
That was 700km on a 60l tank on the long road.But then again,I only kept the speed steady at 110km/h. :D
Meet the Minogue sisters:{Kylie} Golf MK2 GTi 1.8 8v evo2 (103bhp on wheels @ Big Z)
{Danni} Golf MK2 GTi 2.0 16VT (future project)