Electric windows - 96' mk3 gti

Anthony
Cadet
Registered for: 21 years 8 months

Post by Anthony »

Hi guys,

My back 2 windows and drivers window stopped working awhile ago, and I've decided it's probably time to sort it out. When it initially happened I had it at Barons. They said that all three windows needed new motors (R2500 or something stupid) per window. They also said that they never checked the mechanism's of each window and that might also need replacing (R1000) per window. I'm not prepared to cough up that much dosh simply to open a window. Does anyone know of any third party motors/mechanism's(if needed) that are offered at a reasonable price. And is there any basic check I can perform that can verify its not simply a wire thats loose?

Thanks.
B.O.B. (JHB)
Lieutenant

Post by B.O.B. (JHB) »

Try Golfwagen, they might have the stuff you need to get it fixed.
Mazda 3 2.0i Dynamic - Full House
Membership #: 0233
Mail: bbottin@gmail.com
Anthony
Cadet

Post by Anthony »

The thing is I don't know what to simply replace the motor yet. It could simply be a wire loose somewhere, or a fuse somewhere I don't know about etc. Does anyone know of any steps I can follow to check the system before I have to fork out the dosh to replace the motor.

thanks.
mad driver

Post by mad driver »

Correct me if i'm wrong ppl but the easy way is to take a test lamp and check if your motor is getting any power
Robert_GP
VWCSA Member
Membership No: 65

Post by Robert_GP »

Hi,

Sorry to say, it's not so simple as just testing for power. There is quite a complicated electronic system connected to the motor. Most of the time it's the electronics that pack up, not the motor. Unfortunately it's a unit.
Try looking at the wires connecting the door to the body. I had the same problem a while back and it turned out to be a broken wire. It's happens after a while, specially if there is some tension on the wire when you open the door.

Robert
Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting what a ride!
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I have a similar problem - cuased due to the fact that my rear windows never get opened. They get stuck and only after some knocking on the motor do they move. Then again - if they do not get used - they get stuck all over again.

You can make a test lamp and see whether or not there is power there - at least incoming to the motor/controller. The circuitry is not really complex (onm the feed side) - trace it back to the switches in front at the console - and then back to the fuse box.

A question tho - my LHS front doesnt go up anymore - and it seems the cable has snapped. Cost/Repairs/How?

Thanks
Anthony
Cadet

Post by Anthony »

Thanks for the input guys. I was afraid there wasn't going to be any easy way of figuring it out. Will have a look at the wires then.

Are there any precautions that I should take when removing the door panel. Anything that could take hours trying to put back because not enough attention was taken when removing ???
Hagarthehorrible

Post by Hagarthehorrible »

Hi ppl, give Charl at Auto amp a call (012) 3610033. They really clued up with stuff like this. The other day i was there and they were busy fitting an e/w kit to a landy, impressive! works more smooth than my factory fitted one's. It was about +- R1300 complete for the front one's, Wires, motor, cable thingy, buttons.
He will be able to steer you in the right direction, just tell him Andre with the Opel gave you his name.