POWER STEERING FLUID

HOTSTUFF3

POWER STEERING FLUID

Post by HOTSTUFF3 »

HI THERE

SOME ADVICE AND HELP PLEASE

I HAD A GARAGE TOP UP MY POWER STEERING FLUID, BUT I SEE THE BOTTLE SAYS ATF 22 AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID. IS THIS CORRECT THE STEEERING FEELS HEAVIER. WHAT ARE THE IMPLICATIONS HERE ? IF INCORRECT HOW DO I DRAIN IT AND WHAT FLUID SHOULD I USE ?

I HAVE A 2L 16V EXEC 1991

THANKS
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

Uhm yeah you have a problem. That is used in other cars but VW uses a very different oil. Best would be to drain the whole lot and put the right stuff in. Can be bought from VW or Goldwagen. The gearbox oil is going to eat the seals.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
HOTSTUFF3

Post by HOTSTUFF3 »

thanks for the response can you pls advise on how to drain it -- thanks again
sad_fox
Cadet
Membership No: 1950

Post by sad_fox »

u don't have to worry, vw only started using the (green) synthetic power steering fluid long after they stopped making mk2's. atf is correct for your car, look on a newer mk3, polo, mk4... and u'll see/smell the difference. if u mix those with atf, then there's groot kak if u don't change it asap. u'll see you p/s bottle is still that square, semi-transparent bottle with a red cap, pull the cap off, check the colour of the fluid, it'll probably be almost black- most likely never been changed since new- but still reddish. renewing the atf isn't a bad idea tho
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

hehe - oh really. Good luck if you believe that sad fox. VW has never recommended ATF as a power steeing fluid.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
neighbourhood terror
Colonel
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: 2010 Golf MK6 TSi
Membership No: missing

Post by neighbourhood terror »

When I bought my Jetta, I wanted to top-up the fluid with ATF, my brother (who's a mechanic for VW) nearly hat a fit, he organised me the correct stuff it's proper Hydraulic fluid, and it's green. ATF is fatal in a VW power steering system.
Champion the right to be yourself
Dare to be different and to set your own pattern
Live your own life and follow your own star.
http://en.wikifur.com/wiki/Furry
HOTSTUFF3

Post by HOTSTUFF3 »

YOU GUYS HAVE ME NOW CONFUSED,

I WAS AT GOLDWAGEN HERE IN BLOEM TODAY TOLD ME THE SAME THING ATF IS FINE. WASTING MY MONEY IF I CHANGE IT WITH THE RIGHT STUFF.

ITS GOING TO COST ABOUT R150 TO DRAIN AND REPLACE THE STUFF COSTS ABOUT R90 FOR A LITRE.

SORRY FOR THE CAPITAL LETTERS JUST IN A HURRY.

PLEASE ADVISE AND CLARIFY

CHEERS
sad_fox
Cadet
Membership No: 1950

Post by sad_fox »

phone any lindsay circus dealer, ask. had the misfortune of qualifying as a mechanic thru them. golf 2's, C3 audi's, earlier kombi's NEVER used synthetic p/s fluid- vw never had the stuff in those days! i've replaced enough steering racks on the old 500se audi's and golf 2 p/s pumps to know. be explicit, tell them it's a golf 2, NOT a golf 3 or polo- only then did they use the "slightly" more expensive green p/s fluid. somebody telling me that i'm wrong when i know i'm not is ridiculous. meet me at any dealer, we can pull the manuals- ATF on golf 2's. let me be even more belligerent: early golf 3's up to 95/96 also used atf, we had to be careful when topping up, always pulled the dipstick/cap out and checked the colour 1st: green=synthetic p/s fluid, red=ATF!! call 609-1192: sakers edenvale, speak to fortune (service advisor who i qualified with) or boet keys (service manager)
ML-MK2
Cadet
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Mk2 jetta cli 8v kjet

Re: POWER STEERING FLUID

Post by ML-MK2 »

Hi Gents

As i'm pulling in my drive way with my mk2 jetta, I heard this noise while turning the steering. I parked the car and check p/s fluid and see it is low, I checked the colour and it is the red(atf) fluid :bang: .

So now i need to drain the fluid.
1. Best place on the system to drain the fluid?(plz give as much info as possible)
2. How much p/s fluid should the system need for refill.

Dont see any fluid/oil leaks though.

Thanks in advance
Current:
2016 Polo Vivo 1.4
17" Audi A7 reps

1987 Jetta 2 Cli 1.8 8v
276 cam, powerflow, 60 mm drop, 14 inch gold "mushroom"

Ex :
1985 Ford Sierra 1.6
Stock motor, 15 inch black steelies - Sold
ADZ
Cadet
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Mk2 GTI 16v

Post by ADZ »

I recently bought a Lt of it at goldwagen it was R165 green bottle, there should be a marking on the power steering bottle that indicates fluid level, with regards to draining sorry I cant help you on that but someone else here would be able to give you abit more information on draining it.

02' citi 2L 8v
04' Mk4 Jetta 2L
89' Mk2 1.8 16v GTi

72' Beetle 1600TP
ML-MK2
Cadet

Post by ML-MK2 »

ADZ wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:19 am I recently bought a Lt of it at goldwagen it was R165 green bottle, there should be a marking on the power steering bottle that indicates fluid level, with regards to draining sorry I cant help you on that but someone else here would be able to give you abit more information on draining it.
Thanks for your response,Mine has the dipstick attached to the cap but nothing indicating how many ml/l it takes.
Current:
2016 Polo Vivo 1.4
17" Audi A7 reps

1987 Jetta 2 Cli 1.8 8v

Ex :
1985 Ford Sierra 1.6
MarshallGTi
VWCSA Member
Car Make: Seat
Car Model: Ibiza 1.9TDi FR
Membership No: 1665

Post by MarshallGTi »

Jack both front wheels up, disconnect the return pipe to the bottle, turn the wheels from left to right (with motor off) over and over and over, while someone pours new correct fluid into the resevoir. Keep going til the fluid coming out the return pipe looks clean and correct.
It is an ingenius solution to a problem that should have never existed in the 1st place...

Ibiza FR

Ex's:
ShoeBox
(o\!/o)
My mk2 16v
EX-DOHCTOR wrote: I'd make sure I understand the differences between fish and engine components before attempting any modifications on my motor vehicle as a start. :lol:
Psycho1400 wrote:It wasn't an oil leak, it was a horsepower sweat...
ML-MK2
Cadet

Post by ML-MK2 »

MarshallGTi wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:52 am Jack both front wheels up, disconnect the return pipe to the bottle, turn the wheels from left to right (with motor off) over and over and over, while someone pours new correct fluid into the resevoir. Keep going til the fluid coming out the return pipe looks clean and correct.
My reservoir is a big black bottle with a green cap, it has 2 pipes at the bottom of the bottle.
1 is a thick pipe that looks like a high pressure pipe coming from the p/s pump.
The other 1 goes from the reservoir to the steering rack, running along the firewall, this 1 looks the "normal" rubber fuel line the some "normal" clamps.

Which 1 is the return?

Thanks for all the help thus far.
Current:
2016 Polo Vivo 1.4
17" Audi A7 reps

1987 Jetta 2 Cli 1.8 8v

Ex :
1985 Ford Sierra 1.6