Six speed gearbox - Six speed conversion

Slowboat
Lieutenant
Registered for: 21 years 8 months

Post by Slowboat »

Hi

Has anyone done a six speed gearbox conversion, on a 02A (cable shift), or know of anyone else who done it? I like to know if this conversion is fairly reliable and who can do this conversion.

Has anyone got the telephone number of Jaco (The gearbox man)?
If you're behind, you're slow. If you're in front, you're in my way.

gambit
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 21 years 7 months

Post by gambit »

I know SAC done those G-box conversions.
Current
'04 Audi A4 1.8T (140kw)
Past
'06 Yamaha YZF-R6
'05 Golf 2.0 TDi Sportline*SOLD*
mk1 CTi 2.0 16vT (Robin)*SOLD*
'09 Chevrolet Captiva 2.4 16v*SOLD*
'05 Nissan Hardbody 3.0 16vTDi *SOLD*
'04 GTi 132kw Custom FRC remap *SOLD*
'92 GTi 2.0 16vT (Lana) *SOLD*
'94 2.0 CLi Jetta (Lois) *SOLD*
'91 GTi 1.8 16v *SOLD*
'87 Citi Sport 1600 (2E motor) *SOLD*

VWCSA # 1253
"I know that son-of-a-b!tch is cheating!..'cos i'm cheating and he beat me"
Rabbit16v
VWCSA Member
Membership No: 63

Post by Rabbit16v »

Slowboat wrote:Has anyone got the telephone number of Jaco (The gearbox man)?
082 969 7122
BOOST - The ONLY replacement for displacement.
B.O.B. (JHB)
Lieutenant

Post by B.O.B. (JHB) »

Robbie from Mactrix Performance has build himself a six speed gearbox. Very nice in his Turbo caddy.
Mazda 3 2.0i Dynamic - Full House
Membership #: 0233
Mail: bbottin@gmail.com
nick
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 21 years 7 months

Post by nick »

you better have some big ponies under the bonnet to keep that 6th gear turning, unless you cut all your ratios down and make it like the 6 speed RSi.
'98 Citi Golf 1.8i
'08 Yamaha BWS100

My Rides Profile
Slowboat
Lieutenant

Post by Slowboat »

Thanks for the number Rabbit.

You right Nick, if I keep the other 5 ratios as standard and have the sixth gear at a higher ratio than the normal fifth ratio. But that was not what I had in mind, the plan is to shorten 2 to 5 gears and get the sixth gear ratio same as the original 5th gear. But I got a slight problem on the 02A box. Jaco told me that you can't get a shorter ratio diff. I have to change the gears and to get these gears will be a very costly affair, which I won't find it as a worthwhile exercise for only street use, for racing it's another story. Already the six speed conversion kits are almost R10000.00.

Now I have to look at the option at the 02Y Box (1.8L 16V). Atleast, that I've been told, there are plenty different gears ratios available for it. Good news at that. Now the question is, is this gearbox as strong as the 02A box? Another reason to look at the 02Y box from 02A is the 02A box is useless when you change gears very quickly, it be comes very sticky, especially when you down change.

Stephan, what gearbox do you have in your nice monster. Does it give you a lot of hassles like breaking gears etc...?

Can anyone else give some other ideas or options?

Robert_GP
VWCSA Member
Membership No: 65

Post by Robert_GP »

That's the whole idea, make the gears tightly packed.
Take a VR6 gearbox for example. It has a 5th that will do 286km/h at 7000rpm. Now swap the diff for a 2.0 16v one, and slap on a 6th with a 0.7 ration and you have a car that will still do 282km/h at 7000rpm. BUT with a much better pull off.
Now if only the 6th gear was available...... ???
I'm still looking for someone to cut me the 5th - 6th gear set cluster, the rest on the conversion is easy.

Robert
Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting what a ride!
Robert_GP
VWCSA Member
Membership No: 65

Post by Robert_GP »

That's the whole idea, make the gears tightly packed.
Take a VR6 gearbox for example. It has a 5th that will do 286km/h at 7000rpm. Now swap the diff for a 2.0 16v one, and slap on a 6th with a 0.7 ration and you have a car that will still do 282km/h at 7000rpm. BUT with a much better pull off.
Now if only the 6th gear was available...... ???
I'm still looking for someone to cut me the 5th - 6th gear set cluster, the rest on the conversion is easy.

Robert
Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting what a ride!
Slowboat
Lieutenant

Post by Slowboat »

Robert_GP, unfortunately for I'm not interested in doing 280Km/h or even doing 240Km/h. My main interest is to get to 200Km/h as quicky as possible. Most dices are from accelerating from low speed to almost max then you have to back off because of traffic. Now a days you can't really do high speeds on our highways. Just too much traffic. Also to reach 240Km/h and above you will need some "BIG PONIES" under bonnet especially in my case when I'm only using a little 2.0L 16V NA.

panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

I'm using an 020 type box with code CHE. It's very long ratios and have a massive jump between 1st and 2nd. I used to have a 2y box in which is nice for drags but I get too much wheelspin and it runs out of breath at 232km/h. The CHE loads the turbo better and it works to run those nice 270+ topends. The gearing is good for 278km/h some depending on your or the cars limiter. I have not broken a box yet. The 2Y started to get bearing noise and the diff rivets was coming loose but not physically broken yet. The same box is doing duty in Rabit's car now. The CHE has been in my car now for about 30000 km's and I had a bolt kit put in the diff.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Slowboat
Lieutenant

Post by Slowboat »

Hmmm, thanks Stephan. Well I think my mind is made up. Since I do have a spare 02Y I'll turff out the 02A box, install the 02Y box and do the necessary conversions. This should be okay for me since I'm basically interested 0 to 200Km/h as quickly as possible. If it does 230Km/h at around 7000rpm (which I think that the 02Y ratio will be in fifth), I'll be happy :). I could even send the box to Jaco to lengthen fifth ratio a bit for highway cruising.

I know that someone will say go eight valve. I'm trying to get the best of both worlds. Short gear ratio to try to pull as an 8V but still have the cruising fun of the 16V.

Oh by the way I found the prices that will cost me to do the 6 speed gear conversion and put in close ratio gears for the 02A box. At around R25000 to get the kit here. Now thats a BIT steep. I would rather go and install a Turbo from Topsport.