Coolant Dilution

Desh_Fever
Enlisted
Registered for: 1 year 11 months

Coolant Dilution

Post by Desh_Fever »

Hello,

A buddy of mine was replacing his water bottle (from a polo 9n3 GTI) along with the coolant (VW's G12). Yesterday he came through and told me that he diluted the coolant (VW G12) with tap water.

Is tap water okay for the mixture? If not, what could possibly go wrong with his car?
VAG Fan
Lieutenant
Registered for: 8 years 1 month

Re: Coolant Dilution

Post by VAG Fan »

There have been minor wars on this topic. Some are fanatical about the distilled water, others have always and will always use tap water.
In my opinion as a chemist, if your tap water is not particularly hard (lots of minerals, limestone), it should be fine to use.
I've never seen any engine damage that could unequivocally be traced to the use of tap water as opposed to distilled / deionised water.
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
2004 VW Golf TDI, type 1J, AHF, 317k (2016-current) --- daily
1990 VW Fox, type 16, HM, 304k (2005-current) --- spare runaround
Previous:
1992 Audi 500 SE, type C4, AAR (2001-2020) --- nice while it lasted
1983 VW Golf GTS, type 17, FR (1992-2005) --- most fun car I've ever had
1978 Audi 100 GLS 5E, type 43, WC (1991-92) --- died in the side of a Rekord who cut me off
- - - - - - - - - -
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

I have it on good authority that distilled water is actually detrimental as it can accelerate corrosion of metal components in the cooling system.

As it was explained to me, it's because of the *lack* of minerals and other chemicals that form part of natural water, tap or otherwise. The removal of the metals and minerals essentially disrupts the ionic balance and as a result the distilled water then seeks to restore this by oxidizing the surrounding materials.

I can't confirm this personally related to distilled water, but I have used tap water in filling cooling systems since 1996 without any negative effects. Neither have any of the many different manufacturers I have worked for ever advised against using tap water in the cooling systems of new vehicles, they supply concentrated coolant additives which is diluted with water when filling.

The only thing I will add to this debate is to NOT run pure concentrated antifreeze additive in a cooling system without diluting it. This becomes even more corrosive than anything else I have ever seen. It even damages the plastic parts that most modern cars use.
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
Desh_Fever
Enlisted
Registered for: 1 year 11 months

Post by Desh_Fever »

Thanks for the info -- I guess time will tell on his car...