Upgrading of mk1 golf headlights - options ?

KRISHZN
Enlisted
Registered for: 13 years 5 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: MK1 1.3l

Upgrading of mk1 golf headlights - options ?

Post by KRISHZN »

Hi Guys,

I have 94 vw golf shuttle, I upgraded them a while back with a crystal headlight but recently I have noticed that the headlight at night is terrible, even with brights on, cannot see enough of the road if it is not lit up with street lights, so I want to find out what options do I have, if there a better headlight that provides better lighting, let me know or do I consider as a start changing the bulbs, if so, please advise on the best, please note that I have a single headlight grill.

Situated in gauteng

Thanks
K
Greenz
Captain
Registered for: 10 years 2 months
Car Make: Ford
Car Model: Focus ST

Re: Upgrading of mk1 golf headlights - options ?

Post by Greenz »

I had philips extreme vision bulbs and it made a huge difference.Also check that your lights are focused correctly.
2010 ST225 - 238kw 439nm
EX-DOHCTOR
Field Marshal
Registered for: 19 years 4 months
Car Model: 2014 Jetta 6 TDi DSG.
Membership No: 712

Post by EX-DOHCTOR »

Crystal headlights are awful at night. You basically now have 2 torch beams as the crystals do not have any of the refractors that are there to scatter the light. The OEM lights also angle the light off at an angle so that you are not shining directly into oncoming traffic, which is what the crystals will be doing now.

You'll need to make sure that the lights are shining down towards the road and not shining straight ahead. There are screws on the ring of the headlight brackets to make fine adjustments, I would check the correct level first, then angle them both slightly to the left.

Personally, I'd bin the crystals and refit the OEM - but that's just me.
2014 - VW Jetta 6 - 1.6 TDi DSG
2000 - VW Golf 3.5 Cabrio - 2.0
1980 - VW MK1 GT - 1.8 Carb - https://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopi ... 1&t=153861
1971 - Mitsubishi Colt 1100F - https://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopi ... 1&t=220503
MK1 Build Register: https://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopi ... 1&t=192835
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/projectkirschwasser/

Racing is meant for the RACE track - deal with it...
KRISHZN
Enlisted
Registered for: 13 years 5 months
Car Model: MK1 1.3l

Post by KRISHZN »

Thanks guys for the input, H4 PHILIPS RacingVision GT200, will this work on my mk1 ?
marzbars
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 16 years 1 month
Car Model: 1988 Corrado 16V
Membership No: 1316

Post by marzbars »

WHy not go for the Jeep look headlights with Xenons in the projectors? If it is a citi and not a mk1.

Ruwaidm
Enlisted
Registered for: 7 years 3 months
Car Model: '91 Golf CTi

Post by Ruwaidm »

Hi All
Sorry for the hijack but hoping my question adds a bit of value. If crystals arent so great at night then im assuming those smoked cross headlights are even worse? If so, would something like those Cool Blue bulbs make any difference?
VAG Fan
Lieutenant
Registered for: 8 years

Post by VAG Fan »

Yes, but not in a good way. They would only add to the irritating blinding of oncoming traffic.
Like Scott said, fit OEMs. They get the light on the road, where it belongs, not in everyone's eyes.
Then fit them with decent quality H4 bulbs and have them adjusted properly (if you don't know how to do this yourself).
And check the wiring. If the headlights are switched on and the engine is running, you should still measure at least 12V across the terminals on the headlights. Otherwise you're losing too much voltage in the wiring.

[Edit: and by "wiring" I mean all possible sources of unwanted resistance, e.g. fuse box, light switch, connectors, corroded wires, etc.]
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
2004 VW Golf TDI, type 1J, AHF, 317k (2016-current) --- daily
1990 VW Fox, type 16, HM, 304k (2005-current) --- spare runaround
Previous:
1992 Audi 500 SE, type C4, AAR (2001-2020) --- nice while it lasted
1983 VW Golf GTS, type 17, FR (1992-2005) --- most fun car I've ever had
1978 Audi 100 GLS 5E, type 43, WC (1991-92) --- died in the side of a Rekord who cut me off
- - - - - - - - - -
Ruwaidm
Enlisted
Registered for: 7 years 3 months
Car Model: '91 Golf CTi

Post by Ruwaidm »

VAG Fan wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:04 pm Yes, but not in a good way. They would only add to the irritating blinding of oncoming traffic.
Like Scott said, fit OEMs. They get the light on the road, where it belongs, not in everyone's eyes.
Then fit them with decent quality H4 bulbs and have them adjusted properly (if you don't know how to do this yourself).
And check the wiring. If the headlights are switched on and the engine is running, you should still measure at least 12V across the terminals on the headlights. Otherwise you're losing too much voltage in the wiring.

[Edit: and by "wiring" I mean all possible sources of unwanted resistance, e.g. fuse box, light switch, connectors, corroded wires, etc.]
Thanks bud will do so. Learnt something valuable as the previous owner mentioned lights being dim but it could be a loss of voltage.