Is this workshop overcharging my friend? (R22k)

NoBadDays
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 4 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 1.9 TDI Highline

Is this workshop overcharging my friend? (R22k)

Post by NoBadDays »

My housemate has a 2012 1.4 Polo Vivo

Her car recently overheated and blew a headgasket, This is the quote she got from a place, but it seems a bit crazy for me.

They're Quoting R22k here is the quote

I've asked other workshops in the area (Cape Town, Milnerton) and they all quote far less than half.
mk2-phreak
Captain
Registered for: 14 years 10 months

Re: Is this workshop overcharging my friend? (R22k)

Post by mk2-phreak »

You've answered your own question
EX-DOHCTOR
Field Marshal
Registered for: 19 years 4 months
Car Model: 2014 Jetta 6 TDi DSG.
Membership No: 712

Post by EX-DOHCTOR »

Would be cheaper to bin that motor and stick in another one at that price. Seems more than a tad excessive.
2014 - VW Jetta 6 - 1.6 TDi DSG
2000 - VW Golf 3.5 Cabrio - 2.0
1980 - VW MK1 GT - 1.8 Carb - https://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopi ... 1&t=153861
1971 - Mitsubishi Colt 1100F - https://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopi ... 1&t=220503
MK1 Build Register: https://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopi ... 1&t=192835
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/projectkirschwasser/

Racing is meant for the RACE track - deal with it...
amstel18
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 16 years 3 months
Car Model: Tiguan Allspace
Membership No: missing

Post by amstel18 »

If it takes them 14 hours to remove and refit a cylinder head, they in the wrong business.

If you know what you doing, it shouldn't take more than a full day.
Current:
2022 GWM P-Series LT 4x4
Ex:
2018 VW Tiguan Allspace
2013 Audi A3 Sportback 1.8 TFSI S-Tronic
2015 Pure White 1.2tsi Comfortline
2011 2L BiTdi ROK D/C Highline
2006 Seat Ibiza Cupra TDI
91 Caddy, ADY motor on mp9, wildcat 4-1 branch and 50mm Evolution s/s exhaust
96 1600 Chico (sold)
JCTPUBLISHERS
Cadet
Registered for: 3 years 9 months

Post by JCTPUBLISHERS »

I will put another motor and strip and sell whatever parts you can from old motor.
kingr
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 16 years 8 months
Car Make: VW, Mini, Slowyota
Car Model: Mk1 2 Door, Hilux D/C
Membership No: 3337

Post by kingr »

wow, 22k damage caused by a failed fan switch!! expensive school fees for not watching your heat gauge I would say.

I think the price is fair given the work that will be carried out and considering the cylinder head will be fully reconditioned, it will be a two-day job to do everything which makes the labour justifiable.

it's easy to put in another second-hand motor, but then you don't know what issues might come with it, so you will be playing Russian roulette with this option and it's safer to spend the money on an engine you know. I've seen a new trend where shops recond import/second-hand motors first before installing, they don't like the risk of installing an engine not knowing if it's sound. a start-up guarantee from an importer/scrap yard is no surety that you won't have issues.
Kurt #3337

Current:
- 10" Mx5 NC2 (main daily)
- 12" Toyota Hilux D/C 2.5tdi 4x4 (tow car / vacay)
- 2020 Mini Cooper S Clubman (swambo)
- 80" VW Mk1 2 Door Golf 8vt project 192wkw/314nm, 13,3s@173kph Kby Drags

Ex: 07" G5 GTi, 13" ST180, 03" Mk4 2 door 1.8T Stage 2, 07" Velo 1.6, 83" Mk1 GT 2.0 8v MP9, 87" Mk1 1.6 CitiSport, 88" Mk2 2.0 16v, 83" Mk1 GT 1.6 + 40 webers
marzbars
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 16 years 2 months
Car Model: 1988 Corrado 16V
Membership No: 1316

Post by marzbars »

This smells like AutoWorks
Stay away!
NoBadDays
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 4 months
Car Model: Polo 1.9 TDI Highline

Post by NoBadDays »

marzbars wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:40 pm This smells like AutoWorks
Stay away!
ANG Service Centre - Killarney Gardens

Her car has been taken away there and to another workshop that Quoted half the price to do everything on that Quote, with a warranty on the work etc.

It's real scumbag of them to charge R670 to do a diagnostic scan and clear error codes. It doesn't even take 5min to do, and you can do it with a cheap Bluetooth ODB tool.

Sad thing is her family has been loyal to this place for years, and they've just been raping them by overcharging them all the way.
Grim
Cadet
Registered for: 19 years

Post by Grim »

I've been using ANG for 13 years.
Not the cheapest I acknowledge that, but they are thorough.
Won't go anywhere else in a hurry.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Citi 2L 16v - now ex :-(
amstel18
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 16 years 3 months
Car Model: Tiguan Allspace
Membership No: missing

Post by amstel18 »

NoBadDays wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:45 pm
marzbars wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:40 pm This smells like AutoWorks
Stay away!
ANG Service Centre - Killarney Gardens

Her car has been taken away there and to another workshop that Quoted half the price to do everything on that Quote, with a warranty on the work etc.

It's real scumbag of them to charge R670 to do a diagnostic scan and clear error codes. It doesn't even take 5min to do, and you can do it with a cheap Bluetooth ODB tool.

Sad thing is her family has been loyal to this place for years, and they've just been raping them by overcharging them all the way.
Even though I agree that their quote may be excessive, your opinion on a 5min diagnostic scan is not fair. Sure it will be excessive if it was done with a cheap bluetooth OBD tool, as those usually give generic error codes.

Many workshops have really expensive diagnostic equipment. Try and have a look what a proper Launch machine costs. Your eyes will water, and then understand why they might charge that much.
Current:
2022 GWM P-Series LT 4x4
Ex:
2018 VW Tiguan Allspace
2013 Audi A3 Sportback 1.8 TFSI S-Tronic
2015 Pure White 1.2tsi Comfortline
2011 2L BiTdi ROK D/C Highline
2006 Seat Ibiza Cupra TDI
91 Caddy, ADY motor on mp9, wildcat 4-1 branch and 50mm Evolution s/s exhaust
96 1600 Chico (sold)
ALAN #84
Enlisted
Registered for: 2 years 8 months

Post by ALAN #84 »

Hi Everyone.
I am a partner at ANG Service Centre.
Here is some information that you should consider.

1. This was an estimate to remove and fit the cylinder head, completely overhaul the cylinder head with a skim and a pressure test (the proper way to make sure the cylinder head is not cracked from the overheating)
The estimate included foreseeable items like the thermostat and thermostat housing and supply pipe. These were agents parts and expensive (this was done as the vehicle overheated badly and numerous times so there was a strong possibility they could of sustained damage)

2. This is not a Citi Golf or Polo with a basic cam belt drive, this motor is a precision motor with a timing chain and timing cover. This means that there is a lot more involved when doing the job correctly. Just cleaning the parts properly will take more than three hours. The engine sump should also be removed and cleaned to inspect the lower half of the engine and to make sure all timing chain covers are seated properly thus sealing correctly. We take pride in our work and make sure ALL parts are SURGICALLY clean before installation can take place. I believe that preparation is the end result.

3. This estimate was for a quality job so that I could warranty all work and ensure there was no latent damage to the engine from the severe overheating. It would be stupid not to have the head crack tested before refitting it. I would have peace of mind that the lady owner would not get stuck on the side of the road from a poor ‘patch’ job.

4. We are a 5 Star Platinum RMI/Miwa rated workshop and have to work according to prescribed rates. We have to conform to a strict code of conduct. We were well within these rates. Please feel free to contact them on 021 939 9440 should you dispute any charges on the estimate and they would gladly answer your question. (is this workshop overcharging my friend???)

5. This vehicle went to a “Backyard Mechanic” before coming to me, as it was overheating and pushing coolant out from the water bottle. He replaced a perfectly good coolant bottle, which did not cure the problem. Eventually the vehicle came to me, and within minutes, I diagnosed the cooling fan switch was faulty causing the fan not to come on and the vehicle to overheat, thus pushing the coolant out the pressure valve in the coolant bottle cap. There was nothing wrong with the original coolant bottle. I then did a cylinder head leakage test and the engine failed horribly. There was Carbon Monoxide (Exhaust gas) in the cooling system. This was either from a blown cylinder head gasket, or a crack in the cylinder head. The water bottle replacement was a total waste of money and time as the cause for the expelled coolant was not investigated. I believe had the customer come directly to me when the overheating problem started, we could of diagnosed the fan switch before she blew the head gasket. She would have been in for a bill of around R980 plus vat to sort out the fan switch and the cylinder head gasket would not of blown.
As one reply said “Expensive school fees for ignoring the temp gauge” (I have to totally agree)

6. After hearing that the first estimate (the one shared on this chat) was above the customers budget, I submitted a revised estimate excluding the water flange and housing but kept the bare minimum engineering (acid clean, pressure test for cracks and skim) required, for me to give a warranty. This estimate came to around R12000 excl vat. When the vehicle was taken away and repaired by another “mechanic” the total cost of repairs came to R16000.00 as he found latent damages.

7. I could of cut my estimate even more by using cheaper parts of a lesser quality. I could of cut my labour and ‘slapped’ the head together without taking the care in the assembly and preparation, this would of saved me hours. We work to a very high standard as we have a name to uphold, and have a good name in the industry. I was not willing to jeopardise the safety of the customer by using inferior parts.

8. The R580 excl vat charge for the diagnostics is not excessive, it is for a full scan which will include throttle body clean and alignment, adaptation, erase learnt values, exhaust emissions check, as well as a fuel to air ratio check done with a 4 gas analyser. This will be necessary after the cylinder head is removed and fitted. I think the VW agents charge around R1600 excl vat now for the same thing.

The bottom line is, you pay for what you get, pay peanuts, you get monkeys…

The fact of matter is that it would of taken me longer than 14 hours to remove the head, sump, clean all the parts and assemble to spec and commission in the same it was done in the VW Factory.

And please if there is a qualified mechanic that can do the same job to my standard in 14 hours, come see me as I am looking for another mechanic and will hire you on the spot!!!!

I hope this sheds some light on the subject and make the answer to any questions clear. If not you are welcome to mail me, or even come see me personally.

Thank You
Alan
kingr
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 16 years 8 months
Car Make: VW, Mini, Slowyota
Car Model: Mk1 2 Door, Hilux D/C
Membership No: 3337

Post by kingr »

ALAN #84 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:59 am Hi Everyone.
I am a partner at ANG Service Centre.
Here is some information that you should consider.

1. This was an estimate to remove and fit the cylinder head, completely overhaul the cylinder head with a skim and a pressure test (the proper way to make sure the cylinder head is not cracked from the overheating)
The estimate included foreseeable items like the thermostat and thermostat housing and supply pipe. These were agents parts and expensive (this was done as the vehicle overheated badly and numerous times so there was a strong possibility they could of sustained damage)

2. This is not a Citi Golf or Polo with a basic cam belt drive, this motor is a precision motor with a timing chain and timing cover. This means that there is a lot more involved when doing the job correctly. Just cleaning the parts properly will take more than three hours. The engine sump should also be removed and cleaned to inspect the lower half of the engine and to make sure all timing chain covers are seated properly thus sealing correctly. We take pride in our work and make sure ALL parts are SURGICALLY clean before installation can take place. I believe that preparation is the end result.

3. This estimate was for a quality job so that I could warranty all work and ensure there was no latent damage to the engine from the severe overheating. It would be stupid not to have the head crack tested before refitting it. I would have peace of mind that the lady owner would not get stuck on the side of the road from a poor ‘patch’ job.

4. We are a 5 Star Platinum RMI/Miwa rated workshop and have to work according to prescribed rates. We have to conform to a strict code of conduct. We were well within these rates. Please feel free to contact them on 021 939 9440 should you dispute any charges on the estimate and they would gladly answer your question. (is this workshop overcharging my friend???)

5. This vehicle went to a “Backyard Mechanic” before coming to me, as it was overheating and pushing coolant out from the water bottle. He replaced a perfectly good coolant bottle, which did not cure the problem. Eventually the vehicle came to me, and within minutes, I diagnosed the cooling fan switch was faulty causing the fan not to come on and the vehicle to overheat, thus pushing the coolant out the pressure valve in the coolant bottle cap. There was nothing wrong with the original coolant bottle. I then did a cylinder head leakage test and the engine failed horribly. There was Carbon Monoxide (Exhaust gas) in the cooling system. This was either from a blown cylinder head gasket, or a crack in the cylinder head. The water bottle replacement was a total waste of money and time as the cause for the expelled coolant was not investigated. I believe had the customer come directly to me when the overheating problem started, we could of diagnosed the fan switch before she blew the head gasket. She would have been in for a bill of around R980 plus vat to sort out the fan switch and the cylinder head gasket would not of blown.
As one reply said “Expensive school fees for ignoring the temp gauge” (I have to totally agree)

6. After hearing that the first estimate (the one shared on this chat) was above the customers budget, I submitted a revised estimate excluding the water flange and housing but kept the bare minimum engineering (acid clean, pressure test for cracks and skim) required, for me to give a warranty. This estimate came to around R12000 excl vat. When the vehicle was taken away and repaired by another “mechanic” the total cost of repairs came to R16000.00 as he found latent damages.

7. I could of cut my estimate even more by using cheaper parts of a lesser quality. I could of cut my labour and ‘slapped’ the head together without taking the care in the assembly and preparation, this would of saved me hours. We work to a very high standard as we have a name to uphold, and have a good name in the industry. I was not willing to jeopardise the safety of the customer by using inferior parts.

8. The R580 excl vat charge for the diagnostics is not excessive, it is for a full scan which will include throttle body clean and alignment, adaptation, erase learnt values, exhaust emissions check, as well as a fuel to air ratio check done with a 4 gas analyser. This will be necessary after the cylinder head is removed and fitted. I think the VW agents charge around R1600 excl vat now for the same thing.

The bottom line is, you pay for what you get, pay peanuts, you get monkeys…

The fact of matter is that it would of taken me longer than 14 hours to remove the head, sump, clean all the parts and assemble to spec and commission in the same it was done in the VW Factory.

And please if there is a qualified mechanic that can do the same job to my standard in 14 hours, come see me as I am looking for another mechanic and will hire you on the spot!!!!

I hope this sheds some light on the subject and make the answer to any questions clear. If not you are welcome to mail me, or even come see me personally.

Thank You
Alan
Hi Alan! Welcome to the forum, albeit it is to clear up the air about your quote.

Thank you for this detailed response, I appreciate you taking the time to educate my fellow members about what's involved to do something properly and to what standards "good" shops actually do work. I have to agree, you cannot compare doing this job on a modern engine v.s citigolf/mk1 etc :grin:

I support your statement 100% and I'm happy you wrote this. In Afrikaans, there's also a saying "goedkoop is duur koop".
Kurt #3337

Current:
- 10" Mx5 NC2 (main daily)
- 12" Toyota Hilux D/C 2.5tdi 4x4 (tow car / vacay)
- 2020 Mini Cooper S Clubman (swambo)
- 80" VW Mk1 2 Door Golf 8vt project 192wkw/314nm, 13,3s@173kph Kby Drags

Ex: 07" G5 GTi, 13" ST180, 03" Mk4 2 door 1.8T Stage 2, 07" Velo 1.6, 83" Mk1 GT 2.0 8v MP9, 87" Mk1 1.6 CitiSport, 88" Mk2 2.0 16v, 83" Mk1 GT 1.6 + 40 webers
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

ALAN #84 wrote:Hi Everyone.

Thank You
Alan
Welcome Alan.

It's a pity you are not in JHB, I would be knocking on your door first thing tomorrow.

I applaud you for taking a personal interest in every job, commitment to quality is lacking in many businesses these days.

Many people don't realise that modern engines are much more expensive to repair than their older counterparts, R22000 is a fair price for most modern multi-valve engines for a cylinder head overhaul. By comparison an engine rebuild is at least three times that.

You even made the effort to accommodate the client to help with affordability.

You have done everything right. Hats off to you.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
chucker02
Captain
Registered for: 11 years 3 months
Car Model: Citi ADY

Post by chucker02 »

Hey Alan, dont mind the facebook mechanics on here. Lots of guys dont realise what it takes to do a job properly. Most guys would just slap a new head gasket on and call it a day. Hats off to you for doing it the right way.
Current:

2006 Citi Golf 2E, Dictator, 4-2-1

Ex:
2003 Audi A3 1.8t, Thanas Tuned, FMIC, coilies, DP and exhaust
2007 Citi golf. ADY with Spitronics 60-2, estas 282, 4-2-1, coilies
Rides thread: http://vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=183329
2002 Citi golf. ADY carb, estas 282, 4-2-1, GW delarey big brake kit.
Rides thread: http://vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=157603
1971 VW beetle
marzbars
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 16 years 2 months
Car Model: 1988 Corrado 16V
Membership No: 1316

Post by marzbars »

Jeepers, now I want to send my cars to Alan
EX-DOHCTOR
Field Marshal
Registered for: 19 years 4 months
Car Model: 2014 Jetta 6 TDi DSG.
Membership No: 712

Post by EX-DOHCTOR »

Paints a different picture of events when the full story is made clearer with some extra details about the cars history and the state it arrived in.

Where is OP now I wonder?
2014 - VW Jetta 6 - 1.6 TDi DSG
2000 - VW Golf 3.5 Cabrio - 2.0
1980 - VW MK1 GT - 1.8 Carb - https://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopi ... 1&t=153861
1971 - Mitsubishi Colt 1100F - https://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopi ... 1&t=220503
MK1 Build Register: https://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopi ... 1&t=192835
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/projectkirschwasser/

Racing is meant for the RACE track - deal with it...