Catch Can system on a Polo CLS engine.

ChrisMaxx
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 5 months

Catch Can system on a Polo CLS engine.

Post by ChrisMaxx »

I had to do some work on my car today that required the intake manifold to be removed.
Now, just under the intake, against the block side, there is a Heater Valve that bolts straight onto the intake manifold.

Basically, it has a 8mm pipe from the water bottle, into the heater valve, then out the other side to the radiator. On top of the timing cover, there is a breather which vents into the heater valve, which definitely breathes as well.

Now, as I can see it, there is 2 ports that have oil contamination, the one on the valve cover and the one out the breather.

Can I just put a T-Piece on, or would it cause issues? I'm not sure if this would be good, or what would need to be done?
:cool:
chucker02
Captain
Registered for: 11 years 2 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Citi ADY

Re: Catch Can system on a Polo CLS engine.

Post by chucker02 »

What is the point of the catch can? I know why it is used just dont understand why you need one on that engine?
Current:

2006 Citi Golf 2E, Dictator, 4-2-1

Ex:
2003 Audi A3 1.8t, Thanas Tuned, FMIC, coilies, DP and exhaust
2007 Citi golf. ADY with Spitronics 60-2, estas 282, 4-2-1, coilies
Rides thread: http://vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=183329
2002 Citi golf. ADY carb, estas 282, 4-2-1, GW delarey big brake kit.
Rides thread: http://vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=157603
1971 VW beetle
HendrikCTI
Cadet
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by HendrikCTI »

My question would be why not. It can only be beneficial for the engine. Removing all that dirty air that it must breath in.
My cars: 2004 Nissan Almera 1.6
1977 Datsun 1200GX
(100% FULLY restored, 13" mags fitted)
Wife's car: 2019 Suzuki Ciaz
ChrisMaxx
Enlisted

Post by ChrisMaxx »

chucker02 wrote:What is the point of the catch can? I know why it is used just dont understand why you need one on that engine?
A catch can filter the contaminated vapor that is blown back into the intake that clogs up your valves and ports.
Remember, all the petrol, oil and some carbon makes it's way past the rings and back into your intake via the breathers.

The cleaner air your motor breathes the better.
ChrisMaxx
Enlisted

Post by ChrisMaxx »

HendrikCTI wrote:My question would be why not. It can only be beneficial for the engine. Removing all that dirty air that it must breath in.
Figured out what I need to do, will post in my cars build thread and share my experiences.