VWCSA Member
Registered for: 6 years 5 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: MK5 2.0 TDI DSG
Membership No: 3238

Golf 5 BCM part number and advice

Post by DJ7 »

Hi everyone,

So, I have been having an issue for a while where the right low beam died. It is Xenon, so I replaced the bulb first (obviously) and still did not work. The workshop close by had a look and then advised that I should replace the ballast as when they tried the left ballast then it still did not work. Anyway, replaced that with a new unit and still no, luck. Ok, they then said that it could be the ignitor because with the G5, it has a ballast and ignitor separate. So, cool, got that and replaced new as well, and still not working. That left me stumped and thinking that it could be wiring. I have a sparky friend (Just really hard to get hold of, always busy) and ask him, when i can bring the car around for him to check wiring (Also maybe to install my boost gauge that I have for over a year already). He asked me what the problem was and then mentioned that he had a similar issue with a client of his Golf 5 and it was the BCM that was the issue. They replaced it and then it worked.

So, search around and come across a few on Ebay (Way cheaper than could find locally). My question now is, could it be the BCM firstly? Secondly, does anyone know if the BCM is specific for certain models or if they are the same for the whole Golf/Jetta 5 range? The part number for the BCM is 3C0 937 049 D (OEM and Bosch part number is the same). Does anyone know if this is the correct number? It's like around R500, so I wouldn't mind spending for it, if it is the correct part.

Lastly, will I need to do any programming or is it a simple case of remove old and insert replacement? I do have an OBDeleven device. SO is using the car now in the week and just want it sorted for her. It is our main mode of transport currently.

Car is a 2005 Golf 5 2.0 TDI Sportline DSG.
Current: '05 VW Golf 5 2.0 TDI Sportline (hers)
Current: '97 VW Jetta VR6 (his)
Project: '83 Datsun 1400 Sunny (project)
Ex: '97 Astra Estate 200i
'00 Corsa 200 GSI 16v
'96 Astra 200i E 16v
'02 Corsa 160 GSI
'93 Ballade 160e
'95 Astra 200i E 16v
DJ7
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 6 years 5 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: MK5 2.0 TDI DSG
Membership No: 3238

Re: Golf 5 BCM part number and advice

Post by DJ7 »

So, just a little bump on this topic.

This part in particular:

So, search around and come across a few on Ebay (Way cheaper than could find locally). My question now is, could it be the BCM firstly? Secondly, does anyone know if the BCM is specific for certain models or if they are the same for the whole Golf/Jetta 5 range? The part number for the BCM is 3C0 937 049 D (OEM and Bosch part number is the same). Does anyone know if this is the correct number? It's like around R500, so I wouldn't mind spending for it, if it is the correct part.

Lastly, will I need to do any programming or is it a simple case of remove old and insert replacement?
I do have an OBDeleven device. SO is using the car now in the week and just want it sorted for her. It is our main mode of transport currently.

Car is a 2005 Golf 5 2.0 TDI Sportline DSG.
Current: '05 VW Golf 5 2.0 TDI Sportline (hers)
Current: '97 VW Jetta VR6 (his)
Project: '83 Datsun 1400 Sunny (project)
Ex: '97 Astra Estate 200i
'00 Corsa 200 GSI 16v
'96 Astra 200i E 16v
'02 Corsa 160 GSI
'93 Ballade 160e
'95 Astra 200i E 16v