Replacing my MK5 Jetta Shocks

KaRBoN85
Cadet
Registered for: 3 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: MK5 Jetta TDI

Replacing my MK5 Jetta Shocks

Post by KaRBoN85 »

Hey guys. Looking to replace my front. Shocks soon. Looks like still rocking OEMs

Would the Goldwagen Brand Borsehung be a worthy replacement or should I go for the Febi Bilstein?
Does the brand of the shock mounts matter as I was to replace those too.

Thanks guys

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Callum229
Cadet
Registered for: 4 years 1 month
Car Model: Jetta MK5 TDI DSG Highline

Re: Replacing my MK5 Jetta Shocks

Post by Callum229 »

Febi is good as well as Monroe. I have Monroe and they are fine 80 000kms later. My dad has his Monroe for about 120 000 kms and about 9 years and his is fine too.

Replace the hats/saddles for the front shocks and while you are there, replace suspension bushings and shock covers, etc if they are worn.

Brand is important as a good brand will last many years.

Sent from my Nokia 8 Sirocco using Tapatalk

2007 VW Jetta MK5 1.9 TDI DSG,

Mods: Simple EGR delete, LED interior set up, LED rear footwell lights, LED Puddle lamps, LED Doorhandle illumination, LED License plate lights, LED Boot lighting.

2007 VW Golf 5 1.9 TDI DSG, no mods.

2007 VW Transporter 2.5 TDI 4motion, no mods.
KaRBoN85
Cadet
Registered for: 3 years 3 months
Car Model: MK5 Jetta TDI

Post by KaRBoN85 »

Thanks @Callum229 Monroe appears to be slightly above what i can pay for shocks. Febi is around 1k each. Which I'm good with sp will go for those. Will Check the condition of bushes and the shock covers later in the week.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Black Widow
Cadet
Registered for: 10 years 11 months

Post by Black Widow »

In January 2020 I purchased a front set of Borsehung Shocks for my VW Golf Mark 6 at Goldwagen George and my oh my was I pleasantly surprised to see that the shockabsorber were stamped Sachs which is the original shock fitted by the factory. Only difference is where the chrome piston goes into the shock has been reinforced for structural strength. I has a choice to go for Bilstein which I found a bit to stiff from previous experience even in B4 standard form and the Monroe which is extremely comfortable but a bit softer. I decided to stick to sachs. The price difference were so small it wasnt a deal breaker.