9n3 polo brake pedal / master cylinder

simon k
Enlisted
Registered for: 3 years

9n3 polo brake pedal / master cylinder

Post by simon k »

Hi, I have a 9n3 polo GTI, had it for 3 years and I've never been able to get a firm brake pedal while the engine is running. With the engine not running the pedal is firm with minimal travel, as soon as I start the engine the pedal sinks past half way to the floor. I've spent a significant amount of time pressure bleeding with VCDS and I'm 99% sure there is no air in the system. I've spoken to other Polo owners in Aus and they all say the same thing. I drive the car daily plus compete in circuit sprints every month or two. The car stops OK, but the brake pedal just doesn't inspire confidence

I know 9n3 Polos were raced in South Africa and I wonder what they did to the brakes (if anything)

One thing they might have done is fit a bigger bore master cylinder out of some other VW

Any ideas or suggestions ?

Thanks
Callum229
Cadet
Registered for: 4 years 1 month
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Jetta MK5 TDI DSG Highline

Re: 9n3 polo brake pedal / master cylinder

Post by Callum229 »

Sounds like you leaking vacuum to your brake master. I've driven polos and they have firm pedal feel, especially the GTIs.

Check vacuum lines to the brake master and check if your brake master has a leak. It might be slight.

Upgrade brake fluid, maybe it is boiling?

Either then that I would say upgrade to racing brakes and pads.

2007 VW Jetta MK5 1.9 TDI DSG,

Mods: Simple EGR delete, LED interior set up, LED rear footwell lights, LED Puddle lamps, LED Doorhandle illumination, LED License plate lights, LED Boot lighting.

2007 VW Golf 5 1.9 TDI DSG, no mods.

2007 VW Transporter 2.5 TDI 4motion, no mods.
simon k
Enlisted
Registered for: 3 years

Post by simon k »

The pedal is soft from cold, when the car isn't even moving so it's not pads or fluid, I have high temp fluid, quality pads/rotors etc. anyway.

I've checked the vacuum line and booster, I don't think it's leaking but it seems more like the booster is working too well rather than not well enough. A few people out here have said that VWs are often over boosted, hence wondering about a bigger bore MC
Howie-WP
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 2033

Post by Howie-WP »

simon k wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:54 am
I know 9n3 Polos were raced in South Africa and I wonder what they did to the brakes (if anything)
Many remove the booster as they prefer unassisted pedal (I don't and still have my booster, Mk1 Citi though, with bigger master cylnder)