Door Panels Jetta MK5

KaRBoN85
Cadet
Registered for: 3 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: MK5 Jetta TDI

Door Panels Jetta MK5

Post by KaRBoN85 »

Hey guys. Is there a tutorial around for removing and reupholstering the material on the door panels.

Also what adhesive should I use? I have heard aerosol contact adhesive is recommended, any particular brand or variant i should use? Will be doing the roof lining too, seems quite straight forward once the pillars are off.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Callum229
Cadet
Registered for: 4 years 1 month
Car Model: Jetta MK5 TDI DSG Highline

Re: Door Panels Jetta MK5

Post by Callum229 »

Yep, I used contact adhesive(paint type) and the spray type contact adhesive by genkem.

Mines was leather so it wasn't too bad, I just had to stick them back on. My dad's was a pain in the ass.

The problem is, you have to drill out the plastic "rivets" that hold the panel of fabric into the door panel. After that you have to scrub vigorously in order to remove all traces of that stickey glue.

Then spray contact adhesive. The material you get, make sure it has a thin foam backing. Then cut, stick and apply. I painted a thin layer of the adhesive as well on the edges and it worked out perfectly.

Then you either can melt some new plastic on the rivets or people epoxy the panels back on.

For the hoodlining, it's the same, work from the centre out and make sure your fabric has foam on the backing.

Sent from my Nokia 8 Sirocco using Tapatalk

2007 VW Jetta MK5 1.9 TDI DSG,

Mods: Simple EGR delete, LED interior set up, LED rear footwell lights, LED Puddle lamps, LED Doorhandle illumination, LED License plate lights, LED Boot lighting.

2007 VW Golf 5 1.9 TDI DSG, no mods.

2007 VW Transporter 2.5 TDI 4motion, no mods.
KaRBoN85
Cadet
Registered for: 3 years 3 months
Car Model: MK5 Jetta TDI

Re: Door Panels Jetta MK5

Post by KaRBoN85 »

Callum229 wrote:Yep, I used contact adhesive(paint type) and the spray type contact adhesive by genkem.

Mines was leather so it wasn't too bad, I just had to stick them back on. My dad's was a pain in the ass.

The problem is, you have to drill out the plastic "rivets" that hold the panel of fabric into the door panel. After that you have to scrub vigorously in order to remove all traces of that stickey glue.

Then spray contact adhesive. The material you get, make sure it has a thin foam backing. Then cut, stick and apply. I painted a thin layer of the adhesive as well on the edges and it worked out perfectly.

Then you either can melt some new plastic on the rivets or people epoxy the panels back on.

For the hoodlining, it's the same, work from the centre out and make sure your fabric has foam on the backing.

Sent from my Nokia 8 Sirocco using Tapatalk
Many Thanks @Callum229 always the first response. Want to see what weekend i can carve out to so this. Will do the roof first as it is far worse then the doors.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk