In need of some help regarding a conversation

Kiiiing_savage
Enlisted
Registered for: 3 years 8 months

In need of some help regarding a conversation

Post by Kiiiing_savage »

Hi all.

Been in the forum for a while and I have a question, first of all I have a 1.4i 2007 citi golf.

I plan on doing a engine swap for something a little more powerful but I’m not sure what’s the best option, of course I’m thinking 2.8 VR6 or R32 ... I don’t plan on making it 4WD if I do go for the R32 (if it is possible to keep it FWD)

I also read people saying with a little work the 1.8T would also be a good option but I don’t plan on spending that much more money after the conversion. So I’m terms of keeping the engine ‘stock’ after the conversion which engine would be my best option in terms of cost, how much of a mission the conversion will be, but mainly reliability, for now it’s sort of a weekend car but it’ll be in daily use sometime mid next year so I want something powerful but also reliable.

What are y’all’s suggestions ?
Also, please note I’m not as inclined as you guys with this stuff so please go easy on me. 😹
Thanks in Advance for any help. 🤝
Golfie.NC
Enlisted
Registered for: 8 years 10 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: 90kW Citi R-line 1.8i

Re: In need of some help regarding a conversation

Post by Golfie.NC »

all depends on your budget and who is going to do the conversion for you? if going vr6/r32 youll need the gearbox also of it for the conversion but if you go 1.8t route you can still use youre linkcage 020 gearbox setup. if you can provide more details then guys could assist you better in with this
Current:
2008 Citi R-Line 1.8i
1996 Jetta VR6 Executiv ( Can call it a running project :crazy: ) :deadhorse:

Projects:
Golf 3 GTS 16V Conversion
(AFV Block, 9A 2.0 16V Head & KR 16V Intake)
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

The VR6 motors also require custom made engine mounts or some welding and fabrication to use the Mk4 or 5 mounts. There is a company in the UK that makes a complete set, but they are quite few rands to purchase and import.

By far the simplest and best bang for buck is the 1.8T motors. The fit inside the bay fairly easily as they are also smaller than a VR6. They bolt onto your existing gearbox without an adaptor. The VR will need the scarce Mk3 gearbox specific for the motor. Mk4 R32 is AWD and won't fit, neither is it easy adapted to a FWD configuration. The Mk5 came most commonly with a DSG, that means the FWD manual 6spd box is even more rare than the Mk3 box. Expect to pay top money for either of these.

Once the mechanical problems are resolved then electronics systems become an issue. The 1.8T is somewhat easier again to get running with an aftermarket system especially if you get the motor with the manual throttle. Only the old AAA motor (2.8 12v VR6) came with a cable operated throttle, the rest a all drive by wire. Aftermarket ECU options are limited when it comes to a DBW throttle, only options are expensive imported systems that will cost more than a used R32 motor.

None of the supporting mods have been discussed here, these can also quickly put the hurt on your finances, even more than you would expect. If you are paying someone to do the work for you the costs skyrocket.

After it's all done then you will still need to resolve any further issues with the work and problems resulting from the changes to the car.

I'd rather go buy a car that was factory fitted with the engine you want. Manufacturers spend millions on development when they build cars. Don't reinvent the wheel.

Sent from my ***-L22 using Tapatalk

'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
Kiiiing_savage
Enlisted
Registered for: 3 years 8 months

Post by Kiiiing_savage »

I get what you’re saying it’s just that this is a sentimental car to me so I’d prefer to do this one up, so what will the power difference be between the VR6 and 1.8T or even a 2L 16v or 2L 8v ...

Also, what other details would you guys like to know ?
saxo
Cadet
Registered for: 17 years 4 months
Membership No: missing

Post by saxo »

Cheapest with most power will be 1.8t 20v.
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

saxo wrote:Cheapest with most power will be 1.8t 20v.
Fully agree.

Also the lightest motor of all the ones on the table.

Stock motor plus supporting mods will put you back about R40k, all in on a virgin car. This is not taking labour into consideration and assuming that you are going to DIY as much as possible.

Sent from my ***-L22 using Tapatalk

'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+