Clutch replacement cost

Ngaka
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 6 months

Clutch replacement cost

Post by Ngaka »

How much would it cost to replace the clutch and flywheel of vw polo tsi 2014 model.

Vw workshop in bloemfontein is quoting R15 000 is this fair or reasonable amount?
mueneni12
Cadet
Registered for: 13 years 7 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: MK6 GTI
Membership No: missing

Re: Clutch replacement cost

Post by mueneni12 »

Get it done by a reputable Indy, will probably be half that amount at most.
Tommy
Daily: 2010 MK6 GTI Tornado Red
Occasional: 2014 Audi A8 V8 aka The Boat
Ego-stroker: 2007 Touareg V10
Hers: 2015 Honda Accord 3.5 Exclusive
Truck: 2013 Hilux V6 4.0 Heritage Edition
Sold: 2007 MK5 GTI Tornado Red
Stolen: 2015 Toyota Landcruiser V8 SC aka The Beast
OettingerTDi
Lieutenant
Registered for: 19 years 5 months
Car Model: Touareg / Caddy / Polo / Citi

Post by OettingerTDi »

Ngaka wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:16 pm How much would it cost to replace the clutch and flywheel of vw polo tsi 2014 model.

Vw workshop in bloemfontein is quoting R15 000 is this fair or reasonable amount?
For a dealer, it sounds about right. They will be charging their "VW approved parts" price and "please help me pay off my fancy dealership building's" labour rate which are both higher than Goldwagen parts and and the labour rate at an independent workshop.

To put it into perspective, Panic did a clutch on my VW Caddy TDi in January this year and everything including labour cost me R10 800. This was for the LUK branded clutch plate, dual mass flywheel (DMF) and thrust bearing, plus a leaking main oil seal on the engine side.

I would suggest that you price the parts at Goldwagen and then shop around for a good independent to do the installation. Chances are the independent will probably also source from Goldwagen and charge you for the driver picking up the parts. If it's not a major difference in price, rather let the independent pick up the parts to ensure they are correct and save you having to run about.

I'd say that you could probably save about a third of the cost if you use an independent.
Anton van Graan

Current:
2009 Touareg 3.6 VR6
2007 Caddy Life 1.9 TDi
2004 Polo 1.6 Comfortline
2000 Jetta 4 TDi
1997 Chico 1.3

Previous:
2003 Audi S4
1999 Uno Turbo
1998 Jetta 3 CLX (Taken by a friendly chap called Jack)
1993 Uno Turbo
1988 Ford Laser 1600i Sport
ErnestDunhin
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 months

Post by ErnestDunhin »

Well, I just got a quote from VW Menlyn to replace my 2014 Caddy 2.0 TDI's clutch @ 32K, Have already requested a quote from Hatwagen
OettingerTDi
Lieutenant
Registered for: 19 years 5 months
Car Model: Touareg / Caddy / Polo / Citi

Post by OettingerTDi »

ErnestDunhin wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:53 pm Well, I just got a quote from VW Menlyn to replace my 2014 Caddy 2.0 TDI's clutch @ 32K, Have already requested a quote from Hatwagen
The joy's of agents pricing. :crazy:

For another comparative quote, pop down the road to VAG Spec Centre, they are in Menlyn Motor City, across from Menlyn Retail in Garstfontein Road. Speak to Albert.
Anton van Graan

Current:
2009 Touareg 3.6 VR6
2007 Caddy Life 1.9 TDi
2004 Polo 1.6 Comfortline
2000 Jetta 4 TDi
1997 Chico 1.3

Previous:
2003 Audi S4
1999 Uno Turbo
1998 Jetta 3 CLX (Taken by a friendly chap called Jack)
1993 Uno Turbo
1988 Ford Laser 1600i Sport
n.gov3
Cadet
Registered for: 7 years

Post by n.gov3 »

OettingerTDi wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:46 pm
Ngaka wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:16 pm How much would it cost to replace the clutch and flywheel of vw polo tsi 2014 model.

For a dealer, it sounds about right. They will be charging their "VW approved parts" price and "please help me pay off my fancy dealership building's" labour rate which are both higher than Goldwagen parts and and the labour rate at an independent workshop.

To put it into perspective, Panic did a clutch on my VW Caddy TDi in January this year and everything including labour cost me R10 800. This was for the LUK branded clutch plate, dual mass flywheel (DMF) and thrust bearing, plus a leaking main oil seal on the engine side.

I would suggest that you price the parts at Goldwagen and then shop around for a good independent to do the installation. Chances are the independent will probably also source from Goldwagen and charge you for the driver picking up the parts. If it's not a major difference in price, rather let the independent pick up the parts to ensure they are correct and save you having to run about.

I'd say that you could probably save about a third of the cost if you use an independent.
That's a very good price for parts and labour