MK1 Handling Issue

Ben182
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 3 months

MK1 Handling Issue

Post by Ben182 »

Howzit guys, I recently hydroplaned in my MK1 and hit a barrier (front smash) driving at about 120km/h. The engine,gearbox
and radiator weren't damaged but the body was wracked. Took it to a panel beater and he managed to pull it and he replaced the steering rack which was bent. Also changed the rims coz the driver side one was ruined. The problem I have now is whenever I drive above 120km/h the car feels super loose, almost floaty- always drive with both hands firm on the wheel now, it's proper scary. Its worse on the highway because of the wind gusts from other vehicles. Have taken it to numerous suspension places and done numerous alignments and they don't see anything wrong.One even suggested I go for counseling :grin: This is what I have changed since I got it back. 1) tie rods 2) hubs and bearings (left/right) 3) hub carrier drivers side (was actually bent as well) 4) rear shocks 5) V-arms. 6) lower bolt joints. Don't know what to change anymore, Is it possible that the rack was not fitted properly and how do I check if it's faulty? Plan to turbo it this year but not in this state, would be suicide!
MK1 2.0 16v, Mk5 2.0 GTi, Kia Cerato Hatch 2011 2.0
Ryandevraj
Cadet
Registered for: 5 years 10 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: 1988 Citi Golf 1.8

Re: MK1 Handling Issue

Post by Ryandevraj »

I need to know the answer to this also. My golf is exactly the same,feels loose and floaty at high speed. cross wind from other cars pushes the car. I also replaced steering rack. My car was in multiple accidents and repaired though from the previous owner.golfs after being smashed are better written off as they will never be the same.
Howie-WP
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 2033

Post by Howie-WP »

With the alignment, are all the readings within spec? Even the rear wheel toe in / out?
Ben182
Enlisted

Post by Ben182 »

The guy who did my alignment last said it's normal, these were the final readings:

Caster Final (Left, 0.54) (Right, 1.12)

Front Camber (Left, 0.30) (Right, 0.30)
Toe (Left, 0.00) (Right, 0.00)

Rear Camber (Left, -0.42) (Right, -1.06)
Toe (Left, 0.09) (Right, 0.06)
n.gov3
Cadet
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Post by n.gov3 »

Do a bolt check on the suspension, front and rear.
Could be an issue with something loose
Jetta2
Field Marshal
Registered for: 17 years 3 months
Car Make: VW, VW, Aprilia
Car Model: Mk3 Golf VR6, Mk4 Caddy, RSV4
Membership No: 1087

Post by Jetta2 »

Or it could quite possibly be the chassis itself is out of whack somewhere.
After a big impact like that, it is VERY likely some part of the chassis is out of spec, even though it was pulled by the place that repaired it and wheel alignment specs are correct.

Very rarely does a car chassis survive something like that without something being permanently out of spec, be it a Citi or a purpose built race car.
Ryan Demoser

1996 Mk3 Golf VR6
2017 Caddy Maxi Crew Bus 2.0 TDI
2013 Aprilia RSV4 track toy
2021 Aprilia RS660 road bike
Ben182
Enlisted

Post by Ben182 »

Yeah, that's my fear. Gonna change the front shocks - didn't replace them after the accident (one suspension company said they were fine, another used the machine and said they were finished). Also gonna change the other front stub axle. Hopefully I resolve the problem. Thanks
Sean Trollope
Cadet
Registered for: 6 years 5 months
Car Make: VW. Hyundai.
Car Model: Citi golf. Hyundai i10

Post by Sean Trollope »

Front top shock mounts. Had the exact same thing with mine. Never been in a smash though.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

OettingerTDi
Lieutenant
Registered for: 19 years 4 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Touareg / Caddy / Polo / Citi
Membership No: missing

Post by OettingerTDi »

Sean Trollope wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:24 am Front top shock mounts. Had the exact same thing with mine. Never been in a smash though.
Good suggestion, in my case, these little buggers didn't show up when alignment was done, but when I drove at speed and came off the throttle, I got a severe toe in scenario where the car felt like it wanted to oversteer.

When you accelerate, it basically pulls back on the front wheels to a "normal" setting, but when you come off the throttle, it allows forward movement to create a toe in scenario. As they wear out it becomes apparent in all speed ranges.

For interest sake, where are you based?
Anton van Graan

Current:
2009 Touareg 3.6 VR6
2007 Caddy Life 1.9 TDi
2004 Polo 1.6 Comfortline
2000 Jetta 4 TDi
1997 Chico 1.3

Previous:
2003 Audi S4
1999 Uno Turbo
1998 Jetta 3 CLX (Taken by a friendly chap called Jack)
1993 Uno Turbo
1988 Ford Laser 1600i Sport
Ben182
Enlisted

Post by Ben182 »

Thanks for the input guys. I'm in JHB, Kempton Park. I changed both shock mounts, shocks and the front springs. One shock was completely ruined and the spring on that side was also damaged. The problem still persists. Went to another Super Quick just to get an 11th opinion. And they said one of my rear wheels is bent in slightly, recommended I replace the rear axle. Thing is my car hit in front and I don't recall the back hitting the barrier as well. The other alignment shops had said the rear is within spec. Need to be 100% sure now before I throw more money at it.

Should the alignment values for the rear camber and toe be as close as possible or exactly the same since they are not adjustable?
Ben182
Enlisted

Post by Ben182 »

Issue resolved, problem was a worn rack end. Changed both and the car is super stable now.