New here - Velociti 1.4i won't start

Questionlife
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

New here - Velociti 1.4i won't start

Post by Questionlife »

Hi all,

I hope I'm correct in posting here...

Diving right into a problem I have, if I may...My 2007 Velociti 1.4i won't start - here's what happened:

I turned the key and the car started fine. I selected reverse and released the clutch. As soon as the clutch "bit" the car died. The headlights were still on, the radio was still on and dashboard back-lighting was still on. I put my clutch in and tried to swing again, but there was no response. You know when you try to start a car without a battery? Now it was just like that, dead - except all the lights were still on so it couldn't have been the battery. The car makes absolutely no sound when I turn the key.

I've checked the 2 fuses next to the battery and they're making good contact and have not blown.

Could it be a faulty starter motor, ignition switch or coil?

I'm posted this because I've hit a really tight financial situation and can't afford to take the car in right now to have it checked out.

Here's to hoping someone has a cost effective, or do-it-yourself solution for me.

Best,
Oz
Rudi46
Cadet
Registered for: 14 years 6 months
Car Make: Nike
Car Model: Walk and see more
Membership No: missing

Re: New here - Velociti 1.4i won't start

Post by Rudi46 »

Hi

Switch the car on, Go to the starter, take the connector of and jump with a spanner from the +wire coming from the battery to starter to the Point Inside the connector on starter. If the Car swings and starts you have a dead Ignition switch. Otherwise a Dead Starter or solenoid on the starter.

Cheers
Current - 1994 VW Caddy 1.8i
EX - 05 Audi A3 Sportback DSG 2TDI
Ex - 01 VW Golf MK4 TDi Estate
Ex - 00 Triumph Sprint ST(Stollen)
Ex - 83 Caddy
Ex - 02 Audi S3
Ex - Kartcraft Kestrel beach Buggy
Ex - 98 Golf Chico 2L
Ex - 01 Golf 4 Tdi
Ex - 92 Citi shuttle 2L
Ex - 90 Yamaha FZR1000
Ex - 90 Honda CBR400
Ex - 03 Honda NSR150SP
Questionlife
Enlisted

Post by Questionlife »

Hi Rudi,

I appreciate your response! I'll short the starter tomorrow evening and post the results.
Questionlife
Enlisted

Post by Questionlife »

Hi Rudi,

I’ve just sorted this issue out.

I took the plug off the starter solenoid and bridged a copper cable from the battery positive to the starter solenoid to short the starter, and she started up immediately!

So I know for sure it’s the ignition switch that’s not working.

I’ll either replace tomorrow or wire a start-button to the starter. (Lekker little tinker project).

Questionlife
Rudi46
Cadet

Post by Rudi46 »

Questionlife wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:02 pm Hi Rudi,

I’ve just sorted this issue out.

I took the plug off the starter solenoid and bridged a copper cable from the battery positive to the starter solenoid to short the starter, and she started up immediately!

So I know for sure it’s the ignition switch that’s not working.

I’ll either replace tomorrow or wire a start-button to the starter. (Lekker little tinker project).

Questionlife
Glad you found the problem. Please Please change the ignition switch. I hate starter Buttons hahaha.
Ex - 83 Caddy
Ex - 02 Audi S3
Ex - 98 Golf Chico 2L
Ex - 01 Golf 4 Tdi
Ex - 92 Citi shuttle 2L
Ex - 90 Yamaha FZR1000
Ex - 90 Honda CBR400
Ex - 03 Honda NSR150SP
Winsor
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 11 months

Post by Winsor »

hi guys im fresh on this site not sure wher exactly to post but i drive a velo 1.6i im having rough idling wen the car has been standing for a while or wen cold in the morning, my heat guage also takes a while to come up, im having a rich feul smell n a lil black smoke wen accelerating, my machenic advised me that i should change my coolant temp sensor to a blue one the other dude said that it might be the map sensor pls assist. as for im looking to sell the car with this issue being fixed before letting her go :bang:
Rudi46
Cadet

Post by Rudi46 »

Change the coolent temp sensor with the same on. Just a new one. Then see if it still does it. Most of the time the issue
Ex - 83 Caddy
Ex - 02 Audi S3
Ex - 98 Golf Chico 2L
Ex - 01 Golf 4 Tdi
Ex - 92 Citi shuttle 2L
Ex - 90 Yamaha FZR1000
Ex - 90 Honda CBR400
Ex - 03 Honda NSR150SP
Winsor
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 11 months

Post by Winsor »

@rudi ill do that tomoro will get one at GW not sure if this will sort my problem but i hope for the best thanx. not enjoying my ride at all sometimes it struggles to start in the morning after a couple swings sometyms she starts but ba3 light is on cluster as soon as i step on the gas n leave the gas she dies....