Golf 7 headlight RH low beam not working

Gbvl
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 6 months

Golf 7 headlight RH low beam not working

Post by Gbvl »

Good morning

Just checking to see if someone else experienced similar or have guidance on what the issue could be?

Had a warning yesterday to check RH low beam so thought the halogen bulb blew. Replaced it and still had the same issue although bulb is fine. Then started fault finding by checking fuses, measuring voltage in the connecter to the headlight unit and swapping bulb holders between headlights but still dead so it seems the break in circuit is somewhere inside the headlight unit? DLR, high beam and indicator still working fine only the low beam is dead.

Going to remove the unit this afternoon and check connectors etc. Any advice?
OettingerTDi
Lieutenant
Registered for: 19 years 5 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Touareg / Caddy / Polo / Citi
Membership No: missing

Re: Golf 7 headlight RH low beam not working

Post by OettingerTDi »

Just a thought - If the units are easy to remove and the connectors are similar, perhaps plug the left hand unit into the right hand connector and check. Do the same with the right hand unit on the left hand connector. It would then be possible to see if it is a unit problem or the wiring.
Anton van Graan

Current:
2009 Touareg 3.6 VR6
2007 Caddy Life 1.9 TDi
2004 Polo 1.6 Comfortline
2000 Jetta 4 TDi
1997 Chico 1.3

Previous:
2003 Audi S4
1999 Uno Turbo
1998 Jetta 3 CLX (Taken by a friendly chap called Jack)
1993 Uno Turbo
1988 Ford Laser 1600i Sport
Gbvl
Enlisted

Post by Gbvl »

OettingerTDi wrote:Just a thought - If the units are easy to remove and the connectors are similar, perhaps plug the left hand unit into the right hand connector and check. Do the same with the right hand unit on the left hand connector. It would then be possible to see if it is a unit problem or the wiring.
Thanks will check that as well
Gbvl
Enlisted

Post by Gbvl »

Sorted thank you
aomar296
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 2 months

Post by aomar296 »

What was the issue? Mine also keeps going out because the connector (holder) not making enough contact

Any solutions?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Gbvl
Enlisted

Post by Gbvl »

On mine the lamp holder was not making good contact with the spring loaded metal tabs in the headlight housing socket (female bit the lamp holder twists into) and caused a hot joint that melted the plastic on the socket and caused a open circuit ( no contact between lamp holder metal tab and one spring loaded tab in socket) i had to remove the headlight unit to get proper access to the socket inside the headlight unit. The socket is held in place by 3 small screws and i removed it , disassembled it and bent the metal tabs open to ensure positive contact with the lamp holder tabs. Works for now and hopefully lasts but will also check with VW to see if the socket can be purchased separately. Sorry if the terminology is wrong but hope it helps.
aomar296
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 2 months

Post by aomar296 »

Mine sounds like the same issue, the light if I put pressure on the holders so it does seem like they not making enough contact. Would soldering the contacts to make them "bigger" help so when i twist them they make better contact

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk