Buying own parts for repairs at VW

G-UNIT
Cadet
Registered for: 10 years 10 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: G7

Re: Buying own parts for repairs at VW

Post by G-UNIT »

THANAS wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:06 pm Broken piston / broken ringland most likely. Wherabout are you based, this is about the time you need to start shopping around (if they aren't going to cover it or a major portion of it).
I'm in centurion.

I found a place called remtech for "refurbished" engines, not sure how trustworthy they are.
Comes with a one year warranty.
THANAS
Forum Advertiser
Registered for: 10 years 8 months
Car Model: AW Polo GTi
Membership No: 2035

Post by THANAS »

Send Stephan (panic-mechanic) a message, as you mentioned you want to keep the car long term. In that case, you really do want it to be built properly, and since the motor is already open with the intention of being rebuilt or replaced, my opinion would be to have it built with forged pistons and rods as well and have some fun with the car afterwards. Of course this is assuming the motor is still salvageable (which it should be).

What is your mileage out of curiousity?
Last edited by THANAS on Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THANAS
Forum Advertiser

Post by THANAS »

Last edited by THANAS on Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
G-UNIT
Cadet

Post by G-UNIT »

THANAS wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:33 pm Send Stephan (panic-mechanic) a message, as you mentioned you want to keep the car long term. In that case, you really do want it to be built properly, and since the motor is already open with the intention of being rebuild or replaced, my opinion would be to have it built with forged pistons and rods as well and have some fun with the car afterwards. Of course this is assuming the motor is still salvageable (which it should be).

What is you mileage out of curiousity?
Thanks, will do as soon as I get to see what the actual issue is.

mileage is 165000k's
THANAS
Forum Advertiser

Post by THANAS »

*oops*
G-UNIT
Cadet

Post by G-UNIT »

VW quoted R141000 to get a new engine!
I'm obviously not going to do that.

There are vertical grooves in the cylinder.
Looks like the cylinders need to be rebored, but since it is an aluminium engine, they do not recommend that.

Technician told me that there is a TPI for my symptoms (excessive oil usage) and it mentions my engine number.
Car failed a compression test on cylinder 2 and the technician tells me that tpi does not say anything about a failed compression test and this is the problem if I were to approach VW SA with a claim.

I think it's obvoius that this "faulty" engine messed up the cylinders and caused the failure of the compression test.

That and the fact that the car if far out of warranty, they probably will reject the claim.
If it had happened under warranty, they would have replaced the engine with a new one which will not be the faulty CMB engines.

So VW knew that there is an issue with the CMB engines and issued a TPI for it.

How do I approach VW SA with this?
Seeing that the car is 45000k's (and 1 year) over the warranty period, they probably will not honor this claim.

so, Can I get this engine be rebored by someone else?
Should I try to source a 2nd hand engine?
Should I try to source a 2nd hand block as this is the only part that needs to be replaced.

Last resort...

What do you think is a reasonable amount to accept for the car in this condition?

Any help or advice is really appreciated.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

try to find a motor at a scrapyard. Almost you only choice. I can't even beging to think or know what is reasonable to get for it like that as I have no idea what their market value is. but I gues that will all be determined by what you have outstanding and can accept. Sadly I can't even make you an offer either as literally this morning I paid for a touareg with a broken motor that I am fetching in pinetown tomorrow.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
vw4eva
Cadet
Registered for: 16 years 1 month

Post by vw4eva »

Just curious to know why did you not take it to a reputable repair shop instead ? VW prices will always be the most expensive with labour and parts i assume.
Or does it give you piece of mind if VW does the repair?
OettingerTDi
Lieutenant
Registered for: 19 years 4 months
Car Model: Touareg / Caddy / Polo / Citi
Membership No: missing

Post by OettingerTDi »

@ vw4eva - I think Stephan's response above sums it up - Knowing him, if it was repairable, he would probably have indicated if this was an option.

I am stuck with the same problem with my S4, aluminium engine. If it goes poof, no option to overall.
Anton van Graan

Current:
2009 Touareg 3.6 VR6
2007 Caddy Life 1.9 TDi
2004 Polo 1.6 Comfortline
2000 Jetta 4 TDi
1997 Chico 1.3

Previous:
2003 Audi S4
1999 Uno Turbo
1998 Jetta 3 CLX (Taken by a friendly chap called Jack)
1993 Uno Turbo
1988 Ford Laser 1600i Sport
vw4eva
Cadet
Registered for: 16 years 1 month

Post by vw4eva »

cool , i hope issues get sorted out, its a nightmare to be in this situation especially if money is tight .
OettingerTDi
Lieutenant

Post by OettingerTDi »

vw4eva wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:46 pm cool, i hope issues get sorted out, its a nightmare to be in this situation especially if money is tight.
I totally agree, it will probably be cheaper to source an engine from a breaker, but will still hurt your finances.
Anton van Graan

Current:
2009 Touareg 3.6 VR6
2007 Caddy Life 1.9 TDi
2000 Jetta 4 TDi
1997 Chico 1.3

Previous:
2003 Audi S4
1999 Uno Turbo
1993 Uno Turbo
G-UNIT
Cadet

Post by G-UNIT »

vw4eva wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:34 pm Just curious to know why did you not take it to a reputable repair shop instead ? VW prices will always be the most expensive with labour and parts i assume.
Or does it give you piece of mind if VW does the repair?
The EPC and check engine lights came on while driving so it drove it straight to VW.
Wasn't expecting them to say that i need a new engine.

Repairs done at VW kinda does give me peace of mind, not in the quality of the work but knowing that there various channels I can got through if something were to go wrong after the repairs are done.
THANAS
Forum Advertiser

Post by THANAS »

G-UNIT wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:32 pm VW quoted R141000 to get a new engine!
I'm obviously not going to do that.

There are vertical grooves in the cylinder.
Looks like the cylinders need to be rebored, but since it is an aluminium engine, they do not recommend that.

Technician told me that there is a TPI for my symptoms (excessive oil usage) and it mentions my engine number.
Car failed a compression test on cylinder 2 and the technician tells me that tpi does not say anything about a failed compression test and this is the problem if I were to approach VW SA with a claim.

I think it's obvoius that this "faulty" engine messed up the cylinders and caused the failure of the compression test.

That and the fact that the car if far out of warranty, they probably will reject the claim.
If it had happened under warranty, they would have replaced the engine with a new one which will not be the faulty CMB engines.

So VW knew that there is an issue with the CMB engines and issued a TPI for it.

How do I approach VW SA with this?
Seeing that the car is 45000k's (and 1 year) over the warranty period, they probably will not honor this claim.

so, Can I get this engine be rebored by someone else?
Should I try to source a 2nd hand engine?
Should I try to source a 2nd hand block as this is the only part that needs to be replaced.

Last resort...

What do you think is a reasonable amount to accept for the car in this condition?

Any help or advice is really appreciated.
Did the workshop manager tell you that the motor in your car has an aluminium block? :twisted:

It can most definitely be bored out, as it's a normal cast-iron block. The head is cast aluminium. There are a number of forged piston sizes you can choose from depending on how severe the cylinder scoring is. It's amazing how little they know or at least how much nonsense VW will tell their clients.

Your options now are:

1. Price a replacement motor or a place willing to do the motor swap with a replacement (second hand)
2. Shop around for a workshop that is trusted and can give you a quotation on a motor rebuild.

We do normal and forged motor rebuilds as well, but unforrtunately we're in the cape. Broken ringlands on these motors are "fairly" common, and many people opt to go with forged pistons and rods when it occurs as the cost of doing so is, in most cases, substantially more cost effective, and people want the assurance that it will not happen again (after the rebuild).

This is why I asked earlier if you were wanting to keep the car, as if you are wanting to keep it long term, have it properly rebuilt.

With regards to selling it as is, you're going to take a colossal knock doing that.

(Also just because a repair was done at VW, doesn't mean that after the work is complete, that they will honor repairs ontop of those repairs, you don't have another 60k km warranty period on the new R141k motor, for example).
G-UNIT
Cadet

Post by G-UNIT »

Thanks Thanas,

I've phoned around, there are engineers that will do it for me at approximately 1k per cylinder. (not sure if that's steep or not)
Just waiting on quotes from a few others that can fit the engine one time. Rather leave it with just one mechanic that can do it all.

I have changed my mind on keeping the car.
Will get it repaired and trade it in.

Your last statement is exactly what I'm worried about.
THANAS
Forum Advertiser

Post by THANAS »

Don't bother calling engineers directly, as the engineering is a relatively small cost component, you need to find a place that can do everything, they will liaise with the engineers and whoever else.
OettingerTDi
Lieutenant

Post by OettingerTDi »

@ G-UNIT - Where are you based?
From what I can gather is that you are in the Pretoria/Centurion area?
Are you planning on doing most of the work yourself?
Anton van Graan

Current:
2009 Touareg 3.6 VR6
2007 Caddy Life 1.9 TDi
2000 Jetta 4 TDi
1997 Chico 1.3

Previous:
2003 Audi S4
1999 Uno Turbo
1993 Uno Turbo
G-UNIT
Cadet

Post by G-UNIT »

Correct, I'm in centurion.

Will be doing it myself.

[edit]

If by "doing it myself" means sourcing the right people to do the job, then yes.
G-UNIT
Cadet

Post by G-UNIT »

THANAS wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:09 pm

Did the workshop manager tell you that the motor in your car has an aluminium block? :twisted:

The technician working on the car told me that.
OettingerTDi
Lieutenant

Post by OettingerTDi »

Here are some suggestions of people or places that could assist:

Vag Spec Centre - 275 Bali Avenue, Menlyn, Pretoria 0181 - +27 61 500 8229 - Just behind Menlyn Audi.

VAG Automotive Centre Centurion - 4 Hilda Ave, Hennopspark, Centurion, 0157 - 082 440 2303 - Just off Jacaranda Street, halfway between Chamberlains and HF Verwoerd Drive.

Then, there is a chap on the Audi Forum that seems very well versed with this problem, he does privates from his home in Doringkloof. His name is Mani (alias on Audi forum is manixx) - 082 412 9023
Anton van Graan

Current:
2009 Touareg 3.6 VR6
2007 Caddy Life 1.9 TDi
2000 Jetta 4 TDi
1997 Chico 1.3

Previous:
2003 Audi S4
1999 Uno Turbo
1993 Uno Turbo
G-UNIT
Cadet

Post by G-UNIT »

Thanks OettingerTDi, much appreciated.

I have contacted VAG Automotive Centre Centurion, he needs pictures first before he can quote, will check if VW can send me a pic or two.

Will try to contact the others.
THANAS
Forum Advertiser

Post by THANAS »

G-UNIT wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:44 pm
THANAS wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:09 pm

The technician working on the car told me that.
My apologies, my brain just assumed GTI, probably because of how common they are, and because sometimes I don't read properly. The CMB TSI is indeed an aluminium block. Apparently those are known to score the cylinders quite badly when they fail, so a replacement/2nd hand motor may be the better option, but see what people say.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

Basically source another motor is the only option.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
G-UNIT
Cadet

Post by G-UNIT »

Off topic question to anybody still following this post, if I were to buy a 2019 polo GTi, would I be living in constant fear of being hijacked?

:fear:
kingr
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 16 years 7 months
Car Make: VW, Mini, Slowyota
Car Model: Mk1 2 Door, Hilux D/C
Membership No: 3337

Post by kingr »

G-UNIT wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:29 pm Off topic question to anybody still following this post, if I were to buy a 2019 polo GTi, would I be living in constant fear of being hijacked?

:fear:
VW Polo's (any model) stays on top of the hi-jackers list in SA, so it's pretty much a gamble irrespective of the year/model.

Here's our list of top 5 hi-jacked cars in SA, yes the Polo is on the list!

https://www.wheelindex.co.za/blog/5-of- ... O5dxlGbDx2
Kurt #3337

Current:
- 10" Mx5 NC2 (main daily)
- 12" Toyota Hilux D/C 2.5tdi 4x4 (tow car / vacay)
- 2020 Mini Cooper S Clubman (swambo)
- 80" VW Mk1 2 Door Golf 8vt project 192wkw/314nm

Ex: 07" G5 GTi, 13" ST180, 03" Mk4 2 door 1.8T Stage 2, 07" Velo 1.6, 83" Mk1 GT 2.0 8v MP9, 87" Mk1 1.6 CitiSport, 88" Mk2 2.0 16v, 83" Mk1 GT 1.6 + 40 webers