Ram013
Cadet
Registered for: 5 years 9 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Allspace 2.0 TSI Highline

Your DSG experience

Post by Ram013 »

Gents

Now since most of us are such loyal VAG aficionados, what's your experience been with our dear twin-clutches?

I'll start off...

Expensive to maintain (why the fook is the oil so damn expensive?), expensive to fix (my mechatronic popped at around 40 000km's, but thankfully replaced under warranty).
They all seem rather consistent with low speed downshift 3rd into 2nd, not that smooth.
Otherwise in all the cars I've driven (Mk5, Mk6, Roc, Passat, Jetta, Tiguan), that instantaneous gear shift is most welcome.
Ex:
'09 Mk5 GTI DSG(My definition of happiness)
'02 Polo Classic 1.6
'98 Fiesta 1.3(Ford, never again)
'90 Sentra 1.3
Belix
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 14 years
Car Model: Passat B8
Membership No: missing

Re: Your DSG experience

Post by Belix »

MK6, had no issues in 107odd km. Would occasionally lurch into gear when coming to a stop, and then getting going again. Only noticed downchange 3 to 2 being unsmooth when I used the paddles. In auto mode never noticed that.

Passat, same version DSG gearbox I think, but it acts differently. Not sure if because of the stop start, but it seems to like staying in a low gear until quite high in the rev range (golf changed up quite quickly, was in 6th most of the time). Also it's not the smoothest when going from coasting to accelerating, and when changing up under low acceleration, also maybe to do with recharging the battery for stop-start.
Last edited by Belix on Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ram013
Cadet

Post by Ram013 »

I guess we should be thankful that we are running the wet-clutch setup.

Interesting observation about the Jetta. Agreed though, sometimes you can catch the 'box off guard especially when coasting and it just changes up, but then you decide to overtake someone.
Ex:
'02 Polo Classic 1.6
'90 Sentra 1.3
THANAS
Forum Advertiser
Registered for: 10 years 8 months
Car Model: AW Polo GTi
Membership No: 2035

Post by THANAS »

DSG is life. I had a Mech unit failure on my old 2006 A3 2.0T DSG about a month into ownership (in 2018) at 165k kms or thereabouts, completely stock DSG software, completely unexpected, what seemed to be a voltage regulator on the board failed, and in a way that could not be repaired. We set about finding another matching CXX (Early G5/A3 8P DSG) box, found a second hand TDI DSG box, removed the Mech unit, installed it into my box, flashed it with the correct petrol coding and it was a dream after that.

My gripes with DSG other than fixing them when they break, which is generic to most car components, is the upshift and downshift tables. The stock calibration is hopeless in both D and S. D mode upshifts way too soon in most applications, leaving you constantly in a high gear, it's also reluctant to downshift unless you really give it a lot of pedal input (which in most cases ends up in a downshift AND an unintended surge of acceleration, where all that was wanted was a downshift). This makes the overall drive of the car unresponsive to low level pedal input and over-reactive once a downshift finally occurs, this effect is exaggerated when just the ECU is tuned . S mode is just lunatic, crackhead mode, hanging on to the gears endlessly and shifting at the redline.

Fortunately both of these can be solved with a DSG remap, I've spent a lot of time calibrating and testing different D and S mode, up- and down-shift tables to keep the car closer to the motors efficiency point,keep the gears longer at lower pedal input and be more responsive and willing to downshift. It also prevents lugging of the motor, which is an LSPI risk on DI motors. The result is a far more responsive drive and less impetus to reach for the paddles to downshift when you want response. The same with S mode, bringing the shift points down at lower throttle input and spacing out the downshifts, makes it driveable and more like D+ or D++ than S!!!! mode (high pedal inputs will still bring out the monster).

Newer platforms offering DSG are entirely designed with DSG in mind. *Unpopular opinion* but a tuned, manual Mk7 GTi, for example, is an uphill battle to fight clutch slip while keeping a soft pedal feel/resorting to competition level clutches. For a high power daily or just high power in general, DSG is vastly superior.

There are also a number of pro-tips when driving a DSG to get the smoothest response out of it, particularly when manually downshift, i.e. loading the motor before downshifting will result in a much smoother and quicker downshift, as it allows the box to pre-empt your next move.

#DirektschaltgetriebeLife

Edit: PS, The above is in reference to the wet-clutch setup(DQ250/380/381/500 etc), the DQ200, dry clutch is horrendous in general, avoid it like the plague.
Ram013
Cadet

Post by Ram013 »

@Thanas, interesting about your failure, my car was (and still is) stock.

I fully agree that S mode is just plain stupid. It's definitely pointless revving beyond peak power, which it insists on doing as it tries to chase the redline.

I haven't spent too much time with my Tiguan, but noticed on the weekend during some highway driving it's guilty of lugging and staying in 7th. Then again, I may have had it in grandpa - eco mode.

Despite being a newbie, your detailed feedback tells me you're one experienced operator.
Ex:
'02 Polo Classic 1.6
'90 Sentra 1.3
Farhad1
Cadet
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by Farhad1 »

Does the Mk7 Gti have a dry or wet clutch?
amstel18
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 16 years 3 months
Car Model: Tiguan Allspace
Membership No: missing

Post by amstel18 »

In my Audi I've noticed that the box "adapts" to my driving style.
So say I've been in "oupa" mode cruising around and then try and bang the loud pedal and start driving like a knob, the shifts are lazy. After a few minutes it becomes more lively to drive.

I don't know if it has something to do with the Drive Select in the Audi in individual mode where it adapts to your driving style or what.
If I put it into dynamic its immediately responsive.
Current:
2022 GWM P-Series LT 4x4
Ex:
2018 VW Tiguan Allspace
2013 Audi A3 Sportback 1.8 TFSI S-Tronic
2015 Pure White 1.2tsi Comfortline
2011 2L BiTdi ROK D/C Highline
2006 Seat Ibiza Cupra TDI
91 Caddy, ADY motor on mp9, wildcat 4-1 branch and 50mm Evolution s/s exhaust
96 1600 Chico (sold)
Ram013
Cadet

Post by Ram013 »

Farhad1 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:06 pm Does the Mk7 Gti have a dry or wet clutch?
Wet clutch
Ex:
'02 Polo Classic 1.6
'90 Sentra 1.3
Ram013
Cadet

Post by Ram013 »

amstel18 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:07 am In my Audi I've noticed that the box "adapts" to my driving style.
So say I've been in "oupa" mode cruising around and then try and bang the loud pedal and start driving like a knob, the shifts are lazy. After a few minutes it becomes more lively to drive.

I don't know if it has something to do with the Drive Select in the Audi in individual mode where it adapts to your driving style or what.
If I put it into dynamic its immediately responsive.
I do believe that these boxes adapt to your driving style, although it may be ultimately determined by the driving mode you're in.
Ex:
'02 Polo Classic 1.6
'90 Sentra 1.3
Sebz
Lieutenant
Registered for: 9 years 9 months
Car Make: BMW
Car Model: 135i E82 N54 ST 6MT
Membership No: 3020

Post by Sebz »

I have always been a snobbish purist who refuses to accept that anything but a manual gearbox and three pedals is worth considering in a car that is driven for pleasure. A commuter car that sits in traffic should be a torque converter auto and a performance car should be a manual. DSG always seemed like a compromise, especially on early models that I'd driven. Unless it's a dry-clutch system, though, DSG is just epic and if maintained correctly, not too much of a worry.

I've also seen a number of cars improve their speeds / times with a change from manual to DSG.

Yes, the oil and servicing can be expensive, but it's really not much of a sacrifice to make. Most of us have turbocharged cars and we don't drive them less because they cost more to fix than most N/A cars (besides the big HP N/A cars obviously).

I've also experienced the 3rd to 2nd issue in manual / sport mode, but bar the rubbish DQ200, even a three-pedal-enthusiast like me must admit that these gearboxes are overall pretty damn good and are getting better all the time, especially with a good tune.
Single turbo BMW 135i N54 6MT

Ex's:
Brilliant BMW 135i E82 N55 6MT
Stupidly static THANAS Tuned '05 Audi A4 B7 2.0T FSi

Definitely down-to-earth '03 Audi A3 8L 1.8T
Ludicrously lowered K04 '03 Audi A4 Avant B6 1.8T
Sorta slammed '15 VW Polo Vivo GT 1.6
Stock standard '05 Opel Corsa D Ute 1.4
Ridiculously reliable '81 VW Passat CSL Estate 2.2 5-pot

It's not how you stand by your car; it's how you scrape your car. You better learn that.
Ram013
Cadet

Post by Ram013 »

I hear you, a true driver's car must have 3 pedals as it definitely gives you a more involving drive. Yes, it's more slower if all you're worried about are 0-100 and 1/4 mile times, but there's more to enjoying the vehicle dynamics than simply outright acceleration.

Ah, but we live in a world of compromises so it's pretty decent. In terms of maintenance, correct, it's par for the course and just something we have to accept.

Interesting that you didn't mention CVT...my old man's B6 simply chows its control unit (3rd one in around 15 years). Somehow the Jap manufacturers just love these 'boxes though.
Ex:
'02 Polo Classic 1.6
'90 Sentra 1.3
EX-DOHCTOR
Field Marshal
Registered for: 19 years 4 months
Car Model: 2014 Jetta 6 TDi DSG.
Membership No: 712

Post by EX-DOHCTOR »

Never a days trouble with my Jetta 6. Although we've only done 70000KM's in 5 years, so maybe that's why?
2014 - VW Jetta 6 - 1.6 TDi DSG
2000 - VW Golf 3.5 Cabrio - 2.0
1980 - VW MK1 GT - 1.8 Carb - https://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopi ... 1&t=153861
1971 - Mitsubishi Colt 1100F - https://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopi ... 1&t=220503
MK1 Build Register: https://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopi ... 1&t=192835
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/projectkirschwasser/

Racing is meant for the RACE track - deal with it...
Ram013
Cadet

Post by Ram013 »

EX-DOHCTOR wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:45 am Never a days trouble with my Jetta 6. Although we've only done 70000KM's in 5 years, so maybe that's why?
That's good news, sometimes it's the luck of the draw.
Ex:
'02 Polo Classic 1.6
'90 Sentra 1.3
jimbo
Enlisted
Registered for: 7 years 10 months
Car Model: MK5 1.9 TDI DSG

Post by jimbo »

On 215 000km with my mk5 TDI DSG, mostly highway driving and always adhered to the oil changes every 60 000km. Not always the smoothest driving experience especially in heavy traffic it tends to jerk between downshifts.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Ram013
Cadet

Post by Ram013 »

My jerkiness also occurred in heavy traffic, after around 30min of driving. 3rd into 2nd was jerky but 2nd into 1st was the most brutal.

What a mission it was to get it diagnosed, as there were no error codes being logged so the dealership didn't believe me. Until I forced the service manager to sit with me in traffic for around 30 min, then the penny dropped.
Ex:
'02 Polo Classic 1.6
'90 Sentra 1.3
sbu.mah
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 2 months
Car Model: MK7 GTI

Post by sbu.mah »

Pulled the trigger and went for a DSG, MK7 GTI after driving only manuals (still have one, if I want something more engaging). At first I must admit used to find it very frustrating when driving in traffic, as the car felt like it was second guessing which gear to be on. Sports mode for me it felt like it was holding the revs too long, thought the thing will blow up. Didn't even know weather the car must be on D or N, when stopping on traffic light

But fast forward 4 months since I have taken ownership of the car, must admit DSG is some piece of sophisticated engineering.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

MK7 GTI
Revo Tuned
Revo Intake
Roque Performance DP
Sebz
Lieutenant
Registered for: 9 years 9 months
Car Make: BMW
Car Model: 135i E82 N54 ST 6MT
Membership No: 3020

Post by Sebz »

sbu.mah wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:39 pm Pulled the trigger and went for a DSG, MK7 GTI after driving only manuals (still have one, if I want something more engaging). At first I must admit used to find it very frustrating when driving in traffic, as the car felt like it was second guessing which gear to be on. Sports mode for me it felt like it was holding the revs too long, thought the thing will blow up. Didn't even know weather the car must be on D or N, when stopping on traffic light

But fast forward 4 months since I have taken ownership of the car, must admit DSG is some piece of sophisticated engineering.

It's crazy to think that technology only available on the latest supercars 15-20 years ago is now commonplace and so advanced for daily driving
Single turbo BMW 135i N54 6MT

Ex's:
Brilliant BMW 135i E82 N55 6MT
Stupidly static THANAS Tuned '05 Audi A4 B7 2.0T FSi

Definitely down-to-earth '03 Audi A3 8L 1.8T
Ludicrously lowered K04 '03 Audi A4 Avant B6 1.8T
Sorta slammed '15 VW Polo Vivo GT 1.6
Stock standard '05 Opel Corsa D Ute 1.4
Ridiculously reliable '81 VW Passat CSL Estate 2.2 5-pot

It's not how you stand by your car; it's how you scrape your car. You better learn that.
Ram013
Cadet

Post by Ram013 »

sbu.mah wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:39 pm Pulled the trigger and went for a DSG, MK7 GTI after driving only manuals (still have one, if I want something more engaging). At first I must admit used to find it very frustrating when driving in traffic, as the car felt like it was second guessing which gear to be on. Sports mode for me it felt like it was holding the revs too long, thought the thing will blow up. Didn't even know weather the car must be on D or N, when stopping on traffic light

Congrats for taking the leap. The 'box definitely does not like erratic throttle inputs so maybe that was part of the issue. I think we all agree that Sport is a bit mad.
Ex:
'02 Polo Classic 1.6
'90 Sentra 1.3
PeanutGTD
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 4 months

Post by PeanutGTD »

this is probably not going to be a popular opinion...

i had a BMW with a 7 speed DCT gearbox and that trumps the 6 speed DSG in my 2018 GTD to pieces.
Ram013
Cadet

Post by Ram013 »

PeanutGTD wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:18 pm this is probably not going to be a popular opinion...

i had a BMW with a 7 speed DCT gearbox and that trumps the 6 speed DSG in my 2018 GTD to pieces.
Sounds like a M3/M4 so all day, every day, I'd expect it to be better. Those M models are just something.
Ex:
'02 Polo Classic 1.6
'90 Sentra 1.3
PeanutGTD
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 4 months

Post by PeanutGTD »

Ram013 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:41 pm
PeanutGTD wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:18 pm this is probably not going to be a popular opinion...

Sounds like a M3/M4 so all day, every day, I'd expect it to be better. Those M models are just something.
Not that nice no, was a 2012 E82 135i.
Ram013
Cadet

Post by Ram013 »

Ah, I see. Still an awesome car though.

I was under the impression those were steptronic, until you and now Google, corrected me.
Ex:
'02 Polo Classic 1.6
'90 Sentra 1.3
Kavi4GP
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 9 years 7 months
Car Make: Toyota
Car Model: Corolla D4-D
Membership No: 2016

Post by Kavi4GP »

7 speed dry clutch DQ200 is a hit or miss affair , alot fail around 100000km clutch's and mech units go easy with little warning. Not being serviceable to set interval doesn't help...VW does sell the oil for the gearbox side, but no instructions.

Sent from my CPH1717 using Tapatalk

Current:
2017 Toyota Corolla D4-D Ultimate Performance Tuned
2013 A3 1.6 TDi S-Tronic 8V.1

EX:
2014 Polo 1.2 TSI Comfortline CPi Tuned
2013 Ford Focus 2.0 Sport
2011 Hyundai i20 1.4
2006 Toyota RunX
Ram013
Cadet

Post by Ram013 »

Kavi4GP wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:06 pm 7 speed dry clutch DQ200 is a hit or miss affair , alot fail around 100000km clutch's and mech units go easy with little warning. Not being serviceable to set interval doesn't help...VW does sell the oil for the gearbox side, but no instructions.

Sent from my CPH1717 using Tapatalk
Agreed, that was a dog indeed. Not sure if the goal was weight-saving, and therefore fuel efficiency but they clearly didn't look at the longevity of the 'box.
Ex:
'02 Polo Classic 1.6
'90 Sentra 1.3
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

I have said it before and will maintain that opinion, you must understand how dsg/dct boxes work and somewhat modify your driving behaviour to suit what it does and to ensure longevity. Treating it like a torque converter auto will see it die shortly.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.