Captain
Registered for: 16 years 7 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Cti
Membership No: 2095

Polo TSI Auxiliary Cooler

Post by Tashveer »

Hi Guys,

Forgive me for posting in possibly the wrong section.

Last Monday, the wife's car water warning light popped up. Long story short, she realised that there's a water leak from the car.

I called my insurance an got them to tow the vehicle from her place of work to Barons VW where the car normally goes for service. Later that afternoon we got a call to say that the Auxiliary cooler is damaged and this is a result of impact damage, the bill being R9900 odd and due to it being impact damage, this won't be covered by the warranty. I was upset about this as we used the car over the weekend and I don't remember physically driving over anything etc.

Anyway I spoke to the Service Advisor and he mentioned that the the location of the cooler is a problem as it sits behind the lower bumper grill and the smallest of stones etc. can enter through there and pierce the cooler. I understood this and then realized that it's not something that can be avoided. Fast forward, they sent me the quotation to repair the car and within the quotation is a cost for a protective Cage Grill which they will fit to avoid future issues - this is what i now find odd. If VW developed a protective grill, does this not mean that they are aware of the problem and in fact should do a recall of sorts for this?

Lucky enough, a guy posted the exact same issue on one of the FB groups - he however did go ahead with the replacement at VW as I assume he needed his car urgently. He was kind enough to send me pictures of the old vs new parts. The new cooler has a protective strip all around it whilst the older cooler does not have this.

I have contacted VWSA as well as the Motor Industry Ombudsman in this regard. VWSA mentioned that they will not cover the cost so now my only hope is with the Ombudsman. I have no issue paying for VW to sort it out, my gripe is that if they have realised this is an issue, surely out of goodwill they should be a little more helpful in this case.

Has anybody else experienced a similar situation? Any other channels that I could take this up with also to hopefully receive some sort of assistance?

Old Cooler:

New Cooler:

1993 CTi ABF
2004 Citi Life 1.6i
smoke.machine
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 5 months
Car Make: vw
Car Model: Polo Tdi

Re: Polo TSI Auxiliary Cooler

Post by smoke.machine »

Just go to your local spares shop and buy the cooler and fit it yourself...not that hard....paid around R1300 for a non OEM one last year...
Current: 9n3 1.9 TDI Pd100...cupra lip..Pgti rear apron
Bird87_ZA
Major-General
Registered for: 16 years 2 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: CrossPolo 1.6TDI
Membership No: 1515

Post by Bird87_ZA »

Have you heard of the 1.9TDI Sportline turbo issue? This should tell you that VW does not give rats ass about protecting/assisting you.
2001 Bantam 1.6 Lesuire - RIP
2007 Polo 1.6 Comfortline - SOLD
2007 Polo 1.9 TDI Highline - STOLEN
2011 Polo 1.6 TDI Cross - SOLD
2014 Golf 7 SV 1.2TSI
Neuk wrote:A pole, doth not a lie tell...

Web Developer by day, Couch Potato by night.
Rascal69
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 16 years
Car Make: VW
Car Model: MK1
Membership No: 1490

Post by Rascal69 »

Bird87_ZA wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 12:19 pm Have you heard of the 1.9TDI Sportline turbo issue? This should tell you that VW does not give rats ass about protecting/assisting you.
BMW and Merc also do this... in the America and Europe they will sort out issues,extend the warranty and do recalls to resolve the issues... BUT here in SA, they dont give a rats ass.... You the customer will get shafted from all sides...
Current: 2007 ///M Coupe
Current: 2019 Fortuner 4x4

Ex: 2005 E55 AMG
Ex: 1998 BMW M3
Ex: 2011 REVO 2 Focus ST - 208wkw & 465nm's (FRnR)
Ex: 1994 E36 328i Track Car (Budler Motorsport built)
Ex: 2011 REVO 2 Mk6 GTI DSG - 200wkw & 452nm's (KAR)
Ex: 2007 REVO 2+ S3 - 12.7s @ 176km/h (Tarlton 2010) and 224km's on 1km (ODI)
Ex: 2006 Velo 1.6i | 2008 Velo 1.6i | 2005 Velo 1.4i | 2006 Polo 1.6i | 2012 Polo TDI | 2004 W203 C200K
Tashveer
Captain
Registered for: 16 years 7 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Cti
Membership No: 2095

Post by Tashveer »

Thanks guys. By the sounds of it, I don't think I would be lucky enough to get any recourse from VW or the Ombudsman. I will be sure to keep you guys updated though, via this thread for anybody that may have this issue in future.

Probably just a heads up to the TSI Owners to maybe look at installing some sort of protection to that cooler to avoid issues in future.
1993 CTi ABF
2004 Citi Life 1.6i