Whining Noise On Golf 1

Jazzyfizzer
Enlisted
Registered for: 7 years 10 months

Whining Noise On Golf 1

Post by Jazzyfizzer »

Good evening guys,

It's probably difficult to diagnose a fault online so i will try my best to explain my situation.

I drive a citi golf with a mp9 ADY setup and FFZ box. Everything in the motor is stock besides the branch and exhaust. Recently the car has started to develop a whining noise (similar to the cambelt being too tight). My first suspicions were the alternator and waterpump. However, i started the car with the alternator belt off and the noise was still there. I installed a new valeo clutch kit including new push rod and the plate that the push rod makes contact with. When i press my clutch in, there is no change in the whining sound. For peace of mind i then decided to buy a new cambelt and tensioner. I installed it with the correct tension on the belt and the noise is still there. Someone suggested that the cambelt may be touching one of the covers. I removed all the covers and it is still whining. The noise tends to get louder as the rpm increases. The sound is there in neutral and in gear. Anyone with any advice would be much appreciated. Many thanks.
Jazzyfizzer
Enlisted

Re: Whining Noise On Golf 1

Post by Jazzyfizzer »

Also if anyone can advise if the gearbox can cause such a whining noise?
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

The gearbox is disconnected and will be standing still when you step on the clutch. So if it still does it then it can't be the gearbox..
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Jazzyfizzer
Enlisted

Post by Jazzyfizzer »

Thank you Panic, what other options do I have? Could it be the camshaft seal?
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

It COULD be anything although I have never hear a seal whine. I normally don't even begin to partake in diagnosing noises on the forum.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

Jazzyfizzer
Enlisted

Post by Jazzyfizzer »

Thank you sir for your time 🙏
Jazzyfizzer
Enlisted

Post by Jazzyfizzer »

Hi there guys, after the process of elimination and using a stethoscope I've come to the conclusion that the noise is coming from the flywheel. Noise is there clutch engaged or disengaged. I have uploaded a link of the video with the sound. If anyone has had a similar issue or can advise that I will need to replace my flywheel pressure plate and clutch it would be much appreciated. Link is as follows https://youtu.be/5qz-r-GzZH8
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

A flywheel cannot whine, but it could be rubbing against the dust cover plate bolted betweeen the engine and the gearbox. Did this start after your clutch change.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

Perhaps it may be gearbox oil related.

Have a gander at the oil level, 17 Allen socket opens the plug at the Lhs wheel. Make sure it's on level ground when you look.
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
Rascal69
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 15 years 11 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: MK1
Membership No: 1490

Post by Rascal69 »

panic-mechanic wrote: ↑Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:56 am I normally don't even begin to partake in diagnosing noises on the forum.
Agreed !!

99% of the time the problem is only found when you actually see the vehicle.... I had a customer come back after a diff rebuild an and say there is a funny sound coming from the back of the car, then 2 days later it was coming from the Middle of the car, then months later he eventually brings me the car and its the Tensioner pulley in the front of the engine.. Moral of the story, just take the car to someone who knows that kind of car... let him look at it and advise you... otherwise you will be wasting alot of time online trying to figure it out...
Current: 2007 ///M Coupe
Current: 2019 Fortuner 4x4

Ex: 2005 E55 AMG
Ex: 1998 BMW M3
Ex: 2011 REVO 2 Focus ST - 208wkw & 465nm's (FRnR)
Ex: 1994 E36 328i Track Car (Budler Motorsport built)
Ex: 2011 REVO 2 Mk6 GTI DSG - 200wkw & 452nm's (KAR)
Ex: 2007 REVO 2+ S3 - 12.7s @ 176km/h (Tarlton 2010) and 224km's on 1km (ODI)
Ex: 2006 Velo 1.6i | 2008 Velo 1.6i | 2005 Velo 1.4i | 2006 Polo 1.6i | 2012 Polo TDI | 2004 W203 C200K