Nemus
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 10 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: 6R Polo 1.6 Comfortline

Seat heater not working

Post by Nemus »

Hi all

Please let me know if this is wrong section. Also, I have used the search and could not find related.

My 2011 Polo has factory fitted seat warmers. Been great, love them, use them all the time.
However, last week an issue stuck it's head out. When I put the driver side on, the light goes on, it feels like it wants to start then after 2 or so minutes, the light just goes off again. This is after i noticed for a few weeks the back part was working fine, but the bum part not so much.

The passenger side warmers still works fine.

Any ideas on what to check for? Alternatively, any contacts in the Cape Town, Helderberg area to have it checked out.
Notes: VW said they don't service it, they replace the seat (?!?!?!). Also, not covered under my warranty (very sad).

Thanks!
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Re: Seat heater not working

Post by panic-mechanic »

Try changing the switch first. They sometimes fail.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Nemus
Enlisted

Post by Nemus »

panic-mechanic wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:38 am Try changing the switch first. They sometimes fail.
Ok Thanks, I'll give that a go. The switch does go on, just that it goes off again after 1 or 2 minutes.
Trishen94
Cadet
Registered for: 5 years 5 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Mk5 gti

Post by Trishen94 »

Hi I also have the same issue on my mk5 gti passenger seat...the back part gets hot but the bum part doesn't. Is that also the switch ? And r u guys talking about the switch on the dash or is there another ?
Current :2008 S3 8P (panic mechanic +thanas) 227kw /309hp 473nm
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=217296

Ex :2008 mk5 gti ... really miss this car

Previous :too many to list
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

Switch on the dash. Also check the wiring and connectors under the seat. They sometimes gets kicked out.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

Nemus
Enlisted

Post by Nemus »

I'll check it out the weekend under the seat and the switch.
Nemus
Enlisted

Post by Nemus »

Trishen94 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:08 pm Hi I also have the same issue on my mk5 gti passenger seat...the back part gets hot but the bum part doesn't. Is that also the switch ? And r u guys talking about the switch on the dash or is there another ?
That's actually what happened to mine. The back worked for a while without the bum part, until it both stopped. So now passenger works fine, but mine goes off after a minute or so.
Trishen94
Cadet

Post by Trishen94 »

Nemus wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:42 am
Trishen94 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:08 pm Hi I also have the same issue on my mk5 gti passenger seat...the back part gets hot but the bum part doesn't. Is that also the switch ? And r u guys talking about the switch on the dash or is there another ?
That's actually what happened to mine. The back worked for a while without the bum part, until it both stopped. So now passenger works fine, but mine goes off after a minute or so.
Let me know what faults u find and what u replace...i could have a similar issue on mine

Nemus
Enlisted

Post by Nemus »

Trishen94 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:03 am
Let me know what faults u find and what u replace...i could have a similar issue on mine
So the investigation did not return much. The sparkie swapped the switches (as the passenger side works 100%), and the exact same thing still happened to the driver side. We then checked for loose cables, and again that came of negative. Nothing loose. So he said he suspects the element itself needs to be replaced. So, sorry but i am not of much use as yet.
Trishen94
Cadet

Post by Trishen94 »

Nemus wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:01 pm
Trishen94 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:03 am
So the investigation did not return much. The sparkie swapped the switches (as the passenger side works 100%), and the exact same thing still happened to the driver side. We then checked for loose cables, and again that came of negative. Nothing loose. So he said he suspects the element itself needs to be replaced. So, sorry but i am not of much use as yet.
Hi bud ...that don't sound good ...il play with mine on Wednesday and give feedback

panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

check with an ohm meter for resistance over the element. if open circuit then probably another seat is the solution.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10