Accelerator pump

Khiba
Cadet
Registered for: 7 years 4 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: 2013 Polo Vivo 1.4 CLP

Accelerator pump

Post by Khiba »

Hi. Can the car run without one? Each time you press accelerator it sprays fuel in the car carb. Disconnect it to save some fuel?
Current : 1995 Citi Golf 1.6 carb
Belix
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 13 years 11 months
Car Model: Passat B8
Membership No: missing

Re: Accelerator pump

Post by Belix »

What do you mean by accelerator pump?
I'm no mechanic, but from what little I know, the accelerator on a carb car controls a valve which allows more or less air into the carb. More accelerator, valve more open, more air. More air sucks in more fuel.
Pressing accelerator also rotates the distributor slightly advancing the timing a tiny amount. The two together speed up the engine.

Without speeding up the engine, how would you drive around?
n.gov3
Cadet
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Post by n.gov3 »

Khiba wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:23 pm Hi. Can the car run without one? Each time you press accelerator it sprays fuel in the car carb. Disconnect it to save some fuel?
Leave it as is. The accelerator pump as such, assists with initial starts by squirting fuel into the carb. Without this, it will be very annoying to start the car.

Also assists in conditions where you need to pick up speed rapidly eg overtaking on the highway. If disconnected, your car will bog down or be more laboured in these conditions
n.gov3
Cadet
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Post by n.gov3 »

@ Belix, he's referring to an actual pump in the carb that's referred to as an accelerator pump..... it just supplies a squirt of fuel into the primary chamber when the accerator pedal is pressed
Belix
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 13 years 11 months
Car Model: Passat B8
Membership No: missing

Post by Belix »

n.gov3 wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:51 pm @ Belix, he's referring to an actual pump in the carb that's referred to as an accelerator pump..... it just supplies a squirt of fuel into the primary chamber when the accerator pedal is pressed
Good to know, thanks!
Skalabala
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 1 month

Post by Skalabala »

Lol this is funny. Yes it will work without one. But it will have a serious flat spot every time you press the accelerator.
BIGMIG
Porra Love
Registered for: 14 years 1 month
Car Model: 9N3 GTB22/60vk Sportline
Membership No: 1574

Post by BIGMIG »

I thought this was a joke. Learn something new from something old all the time I suppose.
My NoPiel assassin

Goose, soot ninja
VAG Fan
Lieutenant
Registered for: 8 years

Post by VAG Fan »

The stroke of the accelerator pump (i.e. the injection quantity) can be adjusted, and is actually a part of the carburetor set-up. On the old Solex/Pierburg carburetors, I think there was a spring-loaded adjustment screw on the lever. On the Keihin ones, the lever can be bent to contact its stop tab earlier or later. Just have a look at the pump mechanism when you operate the throttle.

So if it's economy you're after, you can reduce the stroke of the accelerator pump until you find that you get a flat spot or spluttering. Then give it just enough stroke so that the engine remains driveable. But how much fuel you'll actually save, I can't say.
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
2004 VW Golf TDI, type 1J, AHF, 317k (2016-current) --- daily
1990 VW Fox, type 16, HM, 304k (2005-current) --- spare runaround
Previous:
1992 Audi 500 SE, type C4, AAR (2001-2020) --- nice while it lasted
1983 VW Golf GTS, type 17, FR (1992-2005) --- most fun car I've ever had
1978 Audi 100 GLS 5E, type 43, WC (1991-92) --- died in the side of a Rekord who cut me off
- - - - - - - - - -