2017 Polo 6C GTI DSG Problems, Need Help

neil_fladderak
Cadet
Registered for: 5 years 9 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 6C 1.8 GTI DSG

2017 Polo 6C GTI DSG Problems, Need Help

Post by neil_fladderak »

Hi guys, so i bought a 2017 Polo 6C GTI DSG from VW as a demo model with 20000km on the clock in December 2018, the car is great and love the power of this little pocket rocket, i also made a stop at Powerflow for a catback exhaust to get that distinctive dsg 'farts'.

Now almost a month and half into ownership the cars gears starting grinding mostly when there's heavy load on the gearbox like heavy braking on downshift or heavy accelerating on upshifts, also when i decelerate slowly from 3rd to 2nd gear it sounds like there are loose metal parts in the gearbox that makes loud clunking noises. I took the car in to VW Barons N1 City to get repaired it under warranty, but my worry is that i bought a demo model to make sure i have a worry free car and now this happens. How reliable are these DQ200 Transmissions and would a TCU tune make the box more reliable ? I don't want to sit with a car that has endless problems. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated :) !!!
Current:
'17 Polo 6C GTI DSG
- Stock ECU/TCU Software
- 152kw 282nm on flywheel at Dynotech (runs were without below mention hardware)
- RoguePerformance 76mm Dp
- Stealth Atom 2 CAI
Ex:
'17 Polo 6C 1.2TSI Highline Manual WRC Inspired (Stage 1 Tuned, TWEEK CAI, Powerflow cat-back exhaust) viewtopic.php?f=11&t=212395&p=2569296#p2569296
'06 Polo 1.6 Comfortline (Stock)
'05 Corsa 1.6 Sport (Stock)
Howie-WP
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 2033

Re: 2017 Polo 6C GTI DSG Problems, Need Help

Post by Howie-WP »

neil_fladderak wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:18 pm Any feedback will be greatly appreciated :) !!!
What was the diagnosis of the repair from N1? You are getting ahead of yourself .....
neil_fladderak
Cadet

Post by neil_fladderak »

Howie-WP wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:27 pm
What was the diagnosis of the repair from N1? You are getting ahead of yourself .....
They will be looking at the car today, so im not sure yet, all i can say is the sounds that came from the gearbox did not sound healthy at all. I could still drive the car but the clunking and grinding noises were very loud.

Im just very worried at the moment as it's my first ' high performance ' car and it's also my daily.
Current:
'17 Polo 6C GTI DSG
- Stock ECU/TCU Software
- 152kw 282nm on flywheel at Dynotech (runs were without below mention hardware)
- Stealth Atom 2 CAI
Ex:
'17 Polo 6C 1.2TSI Highline Manual WRC Inspired (Stage 1 Tuned, TWEEK CAI, Powerflow cat-back exhaust) viewtopic.php?f=11&t=212395&p=2569296#p2569296
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

neil_fladderak wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:18 pm but my worry is that i bought a demo model to make sure i have a worry free car

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
sorry couldn't help it. Demos are beat on from day one. Everybody and his brother has driven the heck out of it.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
jaunrothner
Cadet
Registered for: 5 years 4 months
Car Model: 2016 Polo GTi DSG (6C

Post by jaunrothner »

Hello,

I own one of these myself and they are fantastic I must say, a well balanced "pocket rocket", DSG all the way :-) )

The DSG box will require some additional TLC if you are continuously hammering it = "drive it like you stole it" which is normally the case with a demo vehicle but VW should fix it for you as your vehicle is still under warranty.

Good luck.
Howie-WP
VWCSA Member

Post by Howie-WP »

jaunrothner wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:24 pm
The DSG box will require some additional TLC if you are continuously hammering it = "drive it like you stole it" which is normally the case with a demo vehicle but VW should fix it for you as your vehicle is still under warranty.

Good luck.
And what would that be.....?
Howie-WP
VWCSA Member

Post by Howie-WP »

panic-mechanic wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:24 pm :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
sorry couldn't help it. Demos are beat on from day one. Everybody and his brother has driven the heck out of it.
Maybe it was marketed as the Dealer Principle's demo :driving: :lol: :lol:
jaunrothner
Cadet

Post by jaunrothner »

Howie-WP wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:38 pm
jaunrothner wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:24 pm

Good luck.
And what would that be.....?
By servicing it regularly I would say,

Also search in the forum for the "DSG do's and dont's" as this will tell you how to best drive the car to ensure you get the best results from the DSG.
neil_fladderak
Cadet

Post by neil_fladderak »

jaunrothner wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:53 pm
By servicing it regularly I would say,

Also search in the forum for the "DSG do's and dont's" as this will tell you how to best drive the car to ensure you get the best results from the DSG.
Yes, i've read up a lot on how to drive a DSG car and about not creeping forward and also not manually shifting from 2nd to 1st while the car is still moving and rather having the car do it by itself. Also been seeing a couple of posts of guys with my model Polo GTI's replacing their DSG's.
Current:
'17 Polo 6C GTI DSG
- Stock ECU/TCU Software
- Stealth Atom 2 CAI
Ex:
neil_fladderak
Cadet

Post by neil_fladderak »

panic-mechanic wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:24 pm
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yeah i guess this is very true and the people that test drove the car probably didn't handle the dsg box properly and yes like you said properly drove the crap out of it, so im hoping they replace the whole gearbox and then ill see how long the new gearbox will last.

I am very interested in TCU tunes as they say it increases the lifespan of the dsg box and i would love to remove the option of the car still auto shifting in manual mode and getting launch control for those odd heavy pullaways at red robots, but then again i would then lose my warranty on the gearbox which is not ideal for the dq200 dsg transmission with the reputation that it has.
Current:
'17 Polo 6C GTI DSG
- Stock ECU/TCU Software
- Stealth Atom 2 CAI
Ex:
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

Surely you can't mention launch control and longevity in the same sentence. :eek: :sad:
And then not allow it to shift up in manual - Engine life?. Eish.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

Howie-WP
VWCSA Member

Post by Howie-WP »

panic-mechanic wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:54 am Surely you can't mention launch control and longevity in the same sentence. :eek: :sad:
Seems like he is more worried what damage previous drivers of the demo could have caused, compared to damage he would / could cause with said mods. :driving:

OP, is the diagnosis in from VW?
amstel18
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 16 years 3 months
Car Model: Tiguan Allspace
Membership No: missing

Post by amstel18 »

Good luck.
Hope they honour the warranty after you modded the car.
That's usually the first reason they use if something breaks.

the VAG group is well aware that the DQ200 gearbox is a POS, which is why the torque is limited to 250nm on cars they fitted to.

I've learnt to live with mine, even though its had clutches done and the mechatronics. I now just enjoy the ride and "characteristics" of a glitch every now and then.
Current:
2022 GWM P-Series LT 4x4
Ex:
2018 VW Tiguan Allspace
2013 Audi A3 Sportback 1.8 TFSI S-Tronic
2015 Pure White 1.2tsi Comfortline
2011 2L BiTdi ROK D/C Highline
2006 Seat Ibiza Cupra TDI
91 Caddy, ADY motor on mp9, wildcat 4-1 branch and 50mm Evolution s/s exhaust
96 1600 Chico (sold)
neil_fladderak
Cadet

Post by neil_fladderak »

amstel18 wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:57 am Good luck.
Hope they honour the warranty after you modded the car.
That's usually the first reason they use if something breaks.

the VAG group is well aware that the DQ200 gearbox is a POS, which is why the torque is limited to 250nm on cars they fitted to.

I've learnt to live with mine, even though its had clutches done and the mechatronics. I now just enjoy the ride and "characteristics" of a glitch every now and then.
Well they have to as the car is still stock standard, the only thing i did was replace the rear muffler box with a smaller one to give the car more exhaust note, but other then that the car is bone stock.
Current:
'17 Polo 6C GTI DSG
- Stock ECU/TCU Software
- Stealth Atom 2 CAI
Ex:
neil_fladderak
Cadet

Post by neil_fladderak »

panic-mechanic wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:54 am Surely you can't mention launch control and longevity in the same sentence. :eek: :sad:
Yeah i don't have a lot of experience when it comes to launch control, so i guess its bad for the gearbox then? Reason for not wanting the car to upshift in manual is cause then it actually feels like a manual car when using manual mode and also when you put traction control off and launch the car and it starts spinning, it wants to change up so then when u shift it double shifts and then the car is in too high of a gear to be in its power band, has only happened to me twice though as i don't really like driving the car to its limits #mechanical sympathy.
Current:
'17 Polo 6C GTI DSG
- Stock ECU/TCU Software
- Stealth Atom 2 CAI
Ex:
neil_fladderak
Cadet

Post by neil_fladderak »

Howie-WP wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:32 am
Seems like he is more worried what damage previous drivers of the demo could have caused, compared to damage he would / could cause with said mods. :driving:

Basically yes, cause i really try and look after the car in every sense, just wanted to get some thoughts on TCU tunes as i've heard that they are very good for the DSG boxes, but then again thats what i've read about on forums so donno how legit that info is. Im pretty scared of modding the car just because of losing my warranty which i don't really want.

I spoke to the manager yesterday and they told me they don't know what went wrong yet they first need to take the gearbox out and see what part failed then they will replace it and ill have the car back in 3 weeks time.
Current:
'17 Polo 6C GTI DSG
- Stock ECU/TCU Software
- Stealth Atom 2 CAI
Ex:
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

I'm just going to sit on my hands before typing something ugly.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

neil_fladderak
Cadet

Post by neil_fladderak »

panic-mechanic wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:59 am I'm just going to sit on my hands before typing something ugly.
Did i say something wrong ?
Current:
'17 Polo 6C GTI DSG
- Stock ECU/TCU Software
- Stealth Atom 2 CAI
Ex:
Howie-WP
VWCSA Member

Post by Howie-WP »

panic-mechanic wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:59 am I'm just going to sit on my hands before typing something ugly.
:type:
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

Sit and read your own posts. You talk about mechanical sympathy and basically how you want to abuse it in the same sentence.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

neil_fladderak
Cadet

Post by neil_fladderak »

panic-mechanic wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:38 am Sit and read your own posts. You talk about mechanical sympathy and basically how you want to abuse it in the same sentence.
I never spoke about how i want to abuse the car? Thought launch control would be a nice feature, don't know much about it or what affect it has on the car's gearbox, i came here to ask for advice and so far i havent gotten any. Also asked about TCU tuning cause i've heard that it has positive effects on the DSG gearbox, not because i want it solely to get Launch control.
Current:
'17 Polo 6C GTI DSG
- Stock ECU/TCU Software
- Stealth Atom 2 CAI
Ex:
jaunrothner
Cadet

Post by jaunrothner »

neil_fladderak wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:46 am
Howie-WP wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:32 am

Basically yes, cause i really try and look after the car in every sense, just wanted to get some thoughts on TCU tunes as i've heard that they are very good for the DSG boxes, but then again thats what i've read about on forums so donno how legit that info is. Im pretty scared of modding the car just because of losing my warranty which i don't really want.

I spoke to the manager yesterday and they told me they don't know what went wrong yet they first need to take the gearbox out and see what part failed then they will replace it and ill have the car back in 3 weeks time.
I hope they will replace the box for you instead of repairing it seeing that your car is still in it's warranty period.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

Launch control is incredibly abusive of an engine, a gearbox, the drive shafts and anything attached to it. It's something you simply don't do if you have even the remotest incling of mechanical sympathy or really WANT longevity, not just talking about it.
The box wants to shift to the next gear in manual mode and wheelspinning with TC off because you are hitting the rev limiter.
Removing that function sometimes mean they move the rev limiter. All of these things are simply some form of abuse and if you can't see that you have no idea what the word mechanical sympathy actually means........
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

neil_fladderak
Cadet

Post by neil_fladderak »

panic-mechanic wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:23 pm Launch control is incredibly abusive of an engine, a gearbox, the drive shafts and anything attached to it. It's something you simply don't do if you have even the remotest incling of mechanical sympathy or really WANT longevity, not just talking about it.
The box wants to shift to the next gear in manual mode and wheelspinning with TC off because you are hitting the rev limiter.
Removing that function sometimes mean they move the rev limiter. All of these things are simply some form of abuse and if you can't see that you have no idea what the word mechanical sympathy actually means........
Ok thank you for that advice, i think maybe i came across in the wrong way and im sorry if i annoyed you with my responses. I always keep an eye on my revs if i do launch the car with TC off in manual and the shift point in sport mode is just before the redline and thats also where i normally shift if i give it the beans so when the car starts spinning i tap off the throttle to try and keep the traction but then as i shift before redline and there is even the slightest hint of wheelspin the car will want to shift automatically itself too so then it ends up being a double shift which can be annoying sometimes.

After what you told me ill stay away from TCU tunes and will just focus on driving the DSG the way it should be driven(more like a manual car as opposed to a torque converter auto) and hope that my gearbox holds up and doesn't give issues after it gets fixed. Main concern was that i would now have to drive the car super careful to make sure it doesn't break which would suck as i bought the car cause its a performance model thats meant to be driven more enthusiastically compared to let's say my polo 1.2 tsi highline that i had previously.
Current:
'17 Polo 6C GTI DSG
- Stock ECU/TCU Software
- Stealth Atom 2 CAI
Ex:
neil_fladderak
Cadet

Post by neil_fladderak »

jaunrothner wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:19 pm I hope they will replace the box for you instead of repairing it seeing that your car is still in it's warranty period.
Me too! hopefully the parts they do find to be broken is enough for them to replace the whole gearbox so i can get the car back with a fresh new gearbox, but by the way the person spoke to me yesterday made it sound like they are just gonna replace the broken parts in the gearbox and not the whole gearbox so fingers crossed :crazy:
Current:
'17 Polo 6C GTI DSG
- Stock ECU/TCU Software
- Stealth Atom 2 CAI
Ex: