Car Make: VW
Car Model: 2016 Polo GTi DSG (6C

Re: Driving a DSG

Post by jaunrothner »

ICE King wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:53 am
jaunrothner wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:17 am
ICE King wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:08 pm
Mass wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:03 pm

I don't think any manufacturer can reasonably expect a driver to constantly move their auto transmission (whether DSG or otherwise) to neutral during each stop, hence the clutch disengaging when fully depressing the brake while in drive.
Correct they dont, what I was trying to get across is to avoid partial clutch engagement which is a result of brake creeping as panic mentioned.
Hi,

What is "brake creeping" ?
See panic's reply, it's spot on.

Here's a quick real life example:

Bumper to bumper traffic while rolling:

In a manual , you accelerate , take foot off accelerating pedal, put the car in Neutral and use the brake to slow down the vehicle .

In a DSG , in drive mode and you partially braking to slow the car down but in essence means partial clutch engagement = equivalent of accelerating and braking at the same time in a manual which is not good long term.
Cool...Thanks for the example and explanation :grin:
billionairebum
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 3 months
Car Model: Sportline
Membership No: 3194

Post by billionairebum »

panic-mechanic wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:53 am The thing is though - it isn't an auto. It's a manual gearbox (with two clutches) that is operated and shifted by electro hydraulic means.
So you need to treat it a bit like a manual to make it last.
One of the first things maybe somebody taught you when driving a manual is not to ride the clutch. So if you stand at a robot - keep the clutch depressed(this has a secondary long term effect of wearing thrust bearings in the engine but let's not go there) and engage the brakes or handbrake or stick it in neutral with the brakes on. Don't 'ride' the clutch to keep the car stationary.

Well now this is the same thing for DSG. When you stand still with your foot on the brake it will disengage the clutch and basically do the equivalent of sitting in gear with you foot fully on the clutch. As soon as you release the brake the electronics will try to apply the clutch and let the car move forward. IE the equivalent of you riding the clutch. Thus at that point you are incurring clutch plate wear. Once you at the speed where the need is not there to slip the clutch it is fully engaged like a manual with your foot off the clutch. When you slow down and it has geared down to second or first and if you keep slowing it down to the point where the engine would stall it will now start slipping the clutch again to accomodate your speed and if you have come to a standstill it will disengage.

Now a genuine auto box has for the connection between the engine and the gearbox a thing called a torque converter. There is no clutches in a torque converter to make it start or stop - the clutches in there is to do lockup which only occurs in gears like 4-th onward in audi and VW products mostly.
A torque converter has two sets of 'vanes' set in very close proximity and the area around them is filled with oil. When the driven vanes(attached to the engine side) speeds up the friction effect of the oil causes the vanes on the other side to be dragged along and thus drive is created in the gearbox. There is no actual components touching and thus no wear other than some heating of the oil and with age - breakdown of the fluid itself. So allowing the vehicle to slowly creep forward with you foot lightly on the brake has no wear effect on the torque converter and you can do it all the time for no penalty. IE brake creeping is what makes auto boxes great in traffic.

Once the vehicle is moving these days the torque converter will be locked up by a set of physical clutches and will then react like a clutch car - ie power transfer is direct with no slip from the vanes.

These are the Main differences in what distinguises the 'workings' of a dsg to an auto for what we care for in terms of longevity. If you allow a dsg car to creep slowly forward with your foot partially on the brake it is wearing the clutch set for gears 1,3,5,7 and with time they will be too thin for the system to get drive and then you get all kinds of issues or get locked into 2,4,6 gears only.
So it's really at slowing down and driving in traffic that you need to consider the workings of DSG. For any other times - yes sure it's an auto for all intents and purposes. If you drive it like an auto in traffic - expect to replace a set of clutches sooner than one that doesn't or that runs long distance.
The Touareg does not use a DSG AFAIK, so does this principle of "babying" the box apply to them? Thank you for the explanation.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

No , Touareg is either a proper Aisin auto or in the very latest version an 8 speed ZF auto. Either way - you don't need to do anything special. Just drive an enjoy. Brake creep as much as you like.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
billionairebum
Cadet

Post by billionairebum »

Perfect thank you.
sbu.mah
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 2 months
Car Model: MK7 GTI

Post by sbu.mah »

But in Joburg traffic (plus how folks drive when there's congestion), I can't think of how one can avoid brake creeping

Might regret buying a DSG

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

MK7 GTI
Revo Tuned
Revo Intake
Roque Performance DP
Belix
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 14 years
Car Model: Passat B8
Membership No: missing

Post by Belix »

my DSG seems to also engages quite a bit of partial clutch at low speeds even without the brake after taking off, with low accelerator inputs.
Car seems too eager to slip in second rather than sticking in first and revving a bit without slip. Sadly I cannot avoid traffic on my daily commutes. When it's bad stop start, i try and let the traffic get a bit ahead, although whether the slip on starting is better or worse than the slip on slow speeds remains to be seen - people also get agitated when you start leaving a three car gap in heavy traffic :)
Maybe I should try it in "sport" in traffic, although I suspect the increased throttle sensitivity would make it a jerky affair.
Le Clue
Field Marshal
Registered for: 14 years 7 months
Car Model: Golf Mk7 GTI Clubsport
Membership No: 1458

Post by Le Clue »

sbu.mah wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:01 pm But in Joburg traffic (plus how folks drive when there's congestion), I can't think of how one can avoid brake creeping

You leave a big enough gap to the person in front of you where you can let the car roll in drive without touching the brake or accelerator. This also causes traffic to move smoothly...
Previous Rides:
2016 VW Golf Mk7 GTI Clubsport
2011 VW Golf Mk6 R
2007 VW Golf Mk5 GTI
2013 VW Polo 6R GTI
2011 VW Scirocco GT 2.0TSI
2010 VW Golf Mk6 GTI
2007 VW Polo 1.9TDI Sportline
2009 VW CitiRox 1.6i
Gbvl
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 6 months

Post by Gbvl »

Le Clue wrote:
sbu.mah wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:01 pm But in Joburg traffic (plus how folks drive when there's congestion), I can't think of how one can avoid brake creeping

You leave a big enough gap to the person in front of you where you can let the car roll in drive without touching the brake or accelerator. This also causes traffic to move smoothly...
The way it should be but dare leave a gap and some **** will try and squeese in there
Le Clue
Field Marshal
Registered for: 14 years 7 months
Car Model: Golf Mk7 GTI Clubsport
Membership No: 1458

Post by Le Clue »

Gbvl wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:16 pm
Le Clue wrote:

The way it should be but dare leave a gap and some **** will try and squeese in there
True... :lol:
Previous Rides:
2016 VW Golf Mk7 GTI Clubsport
2011 VW Golf Mk6 R
2007 VW Golf Mk5 GTI
2013 VW Polo 6R GTI
2011 VW Scirocco GT 2.0TSI
2010 VW Golf Mk6 GTI
2007 VW Polo 1.9TDI Sportline
2009 VW CitiRox 1.6i
jaunrothner
Cadet
Registered for: 5 years 5 months
Car Model: 2016 Polo GTi DSG (6C

Post by jaunrothner »

Le Clue wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:48 pm

Let's be honest, if the gap is big enough another mother f0cker will squeeze in there :-)
billionairebum
Cadet

Post by billionairebum »

So if you have a DSG then you can't really do heavy traffic without screwing up your box after a certain amount of KM? That is an issue in JHB and CPT.
Uncle Nunda
Post Whore
Registered for: 14 years 11 months
Car Make: Audi
Car Model: S3
Membership No: 1489

Post by Uncle Nunda »

wow some interesting facts here
Belix
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 14 years
Car Model: Passat B8
Membership No: missing

Post by Belix »

billionairebum wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:36 pm So if you have a DSG then you can't really do heavy traffic without screwing up your box after a certain amount of KM? That is an issue in JHB and CPT.
Well it would wear out the clutches faster, not mess up the box I would think. Not sure how long the clutches should "normally" last. I would think some traffic use should have been designed into its expected use.
sbu.mah
Cadet

Post by sbu.mah »

I'm having a noticeable whinning noise, can't pin down where is coming from. It's rpm related, when the pedal is released it goes aways but always there when there pedal is depressed

Is that a known issue on a DSG. How to get it resolved

MK7 GTI
Revo Tuned
Revo Intake
Roque Performance DP
Howie-WP
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 2033

Post by Howie-WP »

sbu.mah wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:55 pm I'm having a noticeable whinning noise, can't pin down where is coming from. It's rpm related, when the pedal is released it goes aways but always there when there pedal is depressed
Turbo :oops: :crazy:
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer
Registered for: 18 years 4 months
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Membership No: 806

Post by Neuk »

sbu.mah wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:55 pm I'm having a noticeable whinning noise, can't pin down where is coming from. It's rpm related, when the pedal is released it goes aways but always there when there pedal is depressed

Which pedal? At first I thought release bearing but I am not sure if DSG gearboxes even have release bearings?
Current Garage:
Daily Drive: 2014 VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Project Fes: 1982 VW Golf GLS 1.5
Project FeO: 1966 VW Type 2 Transporter Kombi Split Window

Previous Garage:
Roxy: 2015 VW Golf R
Vagon: 2005 Audi B6 A4 1.8T (140kw) Avant
Project XXXX: 1967 VW Type 3 Variant (Squareback)
Project Betty: 2005 Polo 1.9 TDI (PD130) Sportline
Weekend Warrior: 1993 Volkswagen Caddy 2.0 16v ABF on ITB's
sbu.mah
Cadet

Post by sbu.mah »

Howie-WP wrote:
Turbo :oops: :crazy:
That's what I'm actually suspecting

MK7 GTI
Revo Tuned
Revo Intake
Roque Performance DP
sbu.mah
Cadet

Post by sbu.mah »

Neuk wrote:

Which pedal? At first I thought release bearing but I am not sure if DSG gearboxes even have release bearings?
Accelerator

MK7 GTI
Revo Tuned
Revo Intake
Roque Performance DP
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer
Registered for: 18 years 4 months
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Membership No: 806

Post by Neuk »

sbu.mah wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:32 am
Neuk wrote:

Accelerator

Howie may be on the money but it could also be something in the drive train that is whining when under load.
Current Garage:
Daily Drive: 2014 VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Project Fes: 1982 VW Golf GLS 1.5
Project FeO: 1966 VW Type 2 Transporter Kombi Split Window

Previous Garage:
Roxy: 2015 VW Golf R
Vagon: 2005 Audi B6 A4 1.8T (140kw) Avant
Project XXXX: 1967 VW Type 3 Variant (Squareback)
Project Betty: 2005 Polo 1.9 TDI (PD130) Sportline
Weekend Warrior: 1993 Volkswagen Caddy 2.0 16v ABF on ITB's
neil_fladderak
Cadet
Registered for: 5 years 10 months
Car Model: Polo 6C 1.8 GTI DSG

Post by neil_fladderak »

I wonder what caused my clutches to start slipping now the day i got my gti back after i got my dsg gearbox repaired, because the clutches did not slip before the gearbox repair ?
Current:
'17 Polo 6C GTI DSG
- Stock ECU/TCU Software
- 152kw 282nm on flywheel at Dynotech (runs were without below mention hardware)
- RoguePerformance 76mm Dp
- Stealth Atom 2 CAI
Ex:
'17 Polo 6C 1.2TSI Highline Manual WRC Inspired (Stage 1 Tuned, TWEEK CAI, Powerflow cat-back exhaust) viewtopic.php?f=11&t=212395&p=2569296#p2569296
'06 Polo 1.6 Comfortline (Stock)
'05 Corsa 1.6 Sport (Stock)
sbu.mah
Cadet

Post by sbu.mah »

neil_fladderak wrote:I wonder what caused my clutches to start slipping now the day i got my gti back after i got my dsg gearbox repaired, because the clutches did not slip before the gearbox repair ?
What happened to your gearbox

MK7 GTI
Revo Tuned
Revo Intake
Roque Performance DP
neil_fladderak
Cadet
Registered for: 5 years 10 months
Car Model: Polo 6C 1.8 GTI DSG

Post by neil_fladderak »

sbu.mah wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:12 pm What happened to your gearbox

3rd and 4th gear synchros had to be replaced as their teeth were grinded off and causing gear changes to make scratching/grinding noises.
Current:
'17 Polo 6C GTI DSG
- Stock ECU/TCU Software
- 152kw 282nm on flywheel at Dynotech (runs were without below mention hardware)
- RoguePerformance 76mm Dp
- Stealth Atom 2 CAI
Ex:
'17 Polo 6C 1.2TSI Highline Manual WRC Inspired (Stage 1 Tuned, TWEEK CAI, Powerflow cat-back exhaust) viewtopic.php?f=11&t=212395&p=2569296#p2569296
'06 Polo 1.6 Comfortline (Stock)
'05 Corsa 1.6 Sport (Stock)
sbu.mah
Cadet

Post by sbu.mah »

neil_fladderak wrote:
sbu.mah wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:12 pm What happened to your gearbox

3rd and 4th gear synchros had to be replaced as their teeth were grinded off and causing gear changes to make scratching/grinding noises.
Oh boy I hope I'm not going that route. Just had gear selector replaced

MK7 GTI
Revo Tuned
Revo Intake
Roque Performance DP
sbu.mah
Cadet

Post by sbu.mah »

IS38 turbo is it just a bolt on or some internals need to be replaced

MK7 GTI
Revo Tuned
Revo Intake
Roque Performance DP
Sebz
Lieutenant
Registered for: 9 years 10 months
Car Make: BMW
Car Model: 135i E82 N54 ST 6MT
Membership No: 3020

Post by Sebz »

sbu.mah wrote:IS38 turbo is it just a bolt on or some internals need to be replaced

I would suggest using the search function to find a relevant thread, or else start a new one in Technical Discussions.

I assume that you’re talking about putting an IS38 on a 7 GTI. It is pretty straightforward (relatively speaking) but that depends on numerous factors. Rather start a new thread and get all the info you need bud :hi:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Single turbo BMW 135i N54 6MT

Ex's:
Brilliant BMW 135i E82 N55 6MT
Stupidly static THANAS Tuned '05 Audi A4 B7 2.0T FSi

Definitely down-to-earth '03 Audi A3 8L 1.8T
Ludicrously lowered K04 '03 Audi A4 Avant B6 1.8T
Sorta slammed '15 VW Polo Vivo GT 1.6
Stock standard '05 Opel Corsa D Ute 1.4
Ridiculously reliable '81 VW Passat CSL Estate 2.2 5-pot

It's not how you stand by your car; it's how you scrape your car. You better learn that.