Total noob VW owner questions

SnowHonkey
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 4 months

Total noob VW owner questions

Post by SnowHonkey »

Hi guys! So, ya, new VW owner here. I have a few questions I hope you guys can answer about the car I bought today.

It's a 2000 Polo Playa 1.6 hatchback manual. Bought it with 140000km something on the clock, it runs well, no oil leaks, no smoke, no dodgy sounds or anything and the engine sounds NICE. but the one thing that worries me is I have no idea when last the cam belt was checked. I know what happens to an engine when the cam belt snaps. A few friends told me that the car's engine is non-interference, so I wouldn't have to worry about bending valves and damaging pistons. Yeah, the skeptical side of me kicked in. I basically have three questions I hope you guys can answer.

1) Is this engine non-interference?

2) What would it cost to have the cam belt checked?

3) What would it cost to replace the cam belt if it needs to be replaced?

Any solid info would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Changed title to closer resemble thread
Last edited by SnowHonkey on Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Re: How do you know if your engine is interference or non-interference?

Post by panic-mechanic »

Gee man the parts will cost you like r300 maybe and say two hours labour at most.
So under R2k. Why risk it?
It should be non interference but some people just have no luck. Of you are one of those just get it changed.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
SnowHonkey
Enlisted

Post by SnowHonkey »

You serious? That cheap? Sho, ok well that's awesome! Thanks, buddy!
SnowHonkey
Enlisted

Post by SnowHonkey »

Is there a way you can tell if it's interference by looking at it?

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

ICE King
Cadet
Registered for: 12 years 10 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo GTI 20V , Mazdarati

Post by ICE King »

SnowHonkey wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:13 am Is there a way you can tell if it's interference by looking at it?

Nope , Non interference means the valve and pistons does not meet when the valve is open , How would you see this by looking at the engine from the outside?

Agree with panic , this should not be an issue or discussion , just change the cam-belt and carry on driving like a boss :driving:
1992 Mazda 323 B3 - Masala Mods
2008 VW POLO GTI - 76mm DP + 63mm exhaust , induction, FMIC, Thanas Tuned
SnowHonkey
Enlisted

Post by SnowHonkey »

ICE King wrote:
SnowHonkey wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:13 am Is there a way you can tell if it's interference by looking at it?

Nope , Non interference means the valve and pistons does not meet when the valve is open , How would you see this by looking at the engine from the outside?

Agree with panic , this should not be an issue or discussion , just change the cam-belt and carry on driving like a boss :driving:
For sure, bru. Going to change it anyway. Just being a curious noob.

panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

There are published lists by manufacturers of what is interference and what is not. BUT let me tell you about lists. Sometimes they aren't too good in real life. Post and engine code. If it is HM in theory it is non interference but I have seen some meet up anyways.
So again. safest if the history is unknown is to simply change it as a precuation - rather be safe than test theory.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Dub rox
Cadet
Registered for: 5 years 6 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Citi sport 1.4i

Post by Dub rox »

ICE King wrote:

If the valve and piston meet when the valve is open your timing is all wrong bud Image

Sent from my VFD320 using Tapatalk

OCD is not a disability is the ability to get it perfect
Dub rox
Cadet

Post by Dub rox »

SnowHonkey wrote:Hi guys! So, ya, new VW owner here. I have a few questions I hope you guys can answer about the car I bought today.

It's a 2000 Polo Playa 1.6 hatchback manual. Bought it with 140000km something on the clock, it runs well, no oil leaks, no smoke, no dodgy sounds or anything and the engine sounds NICE. but the one thing that worries me is I have no idea when last the cam belt was checked. I know what happens to an engine when the cam belt snaps. A few friends told me that the car's engine is non-interference, so I wouldn't have to worry about bending valves and damaging pistons. Yeah, the skeptical side of me kicked in. I basically have three questions I hope you guys can answer.

1) Is this engine non-interference?

2) What would it cost to have the cam belt checked?

3) What would it cost to replace the cam belt if it needs to be replaced?

Any solid info would be greatly appreciated.
Like panic sayd. Its cheap enough to do and have piece of mind than to wonder when last or if it has been changed. Save your self the headache and just get it done.

Do a cambelt and tensioner/idle bearing and have no worry motoring. Your car has low millage so i take it it has been cared for and loved but one can never be sure unless it was logged in the service books.

ICE King
Cadet
Registered for: 12 years 10 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo GTI 20V , Mazdarati

Post by ICE King »

Dub rox wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:53 pm
ICE King wrote:

If the valve and piston meet when the valve is open your timing is all wrong bud Image

Exactly why I don't believe in the non-interference notion,Since the intro of Overhead Camshafts , it's a thing of the past

It's really luck , as I seen some claim non interference motors bend valve and see case where an claimed interference design not bend valves.
1992 Mazda 323 B3 - Masala Mods
2008 VW POLO GTI - 76mm DP + 63mm exhaust , induction, FMIC, Thanas Tuned
SnowHonkey
Enlisted

Post by SnowHonkey »

Well, I've successfully identified my engine. It's a 1600 8v MP9. Hooray! Taking it in on Monday to get the cam belt changed. While the mechanic is at it, I'm going to get him to change the plugs, filters and oil same time.

Yesterday it started whining from the engine compartment. It whines when idling and pitch changes with revs. Randomly the engine just cuts out too, happens when sitting in traffic and this morning when I put the car into reverse. Clutch is all the way down when it happens. Starts again immediately, though. On top of that, the speedo just bounces at 0 and the rev counter doesn't move at all, but that's random. Next time I start it up, the needles work normally again and then later when I start it up again, the needles don't work. I'm going to take an uneducated guess and say all the above is the alternator.

Dub rox
Cadet

Post by Dub rox »

SnowHonkey wrote:Well, I've successfully identified my engine. It's a 1600 8v MP9. Hooray! Taking it in on Monday to get the cam belt changed. While the mechanic is at it, I'm going to get him to change the plugs, filters and oil same time.

Yesterday it started whining from the engine compartment. It whines when idling and pitch changes with revs. Randomly the engine just cuts out too, happens when sitting in traffic and this morning when I put the car into reverse. Clutch is all the way down when it happens. Starts again immediately, though. On top of that, the speedo just bounces at 0 and the rev counter doesn't move at all, but that's random. Next time I start it up, the needles work normally again and then later when I start it up again, the needles don't work. I'm going to take an uneducated guess and say all the above is the alternator.

Those normally give a whing noise from the alternator. Have that tested as well, could just be a bearing on the altinator or the idle bearing/tensioner on the cam belt.

Let them do a test on the alterator it self aswell to see if it is charging correctly.

Rubbin&dubbin
Lieutenant
Registered for: 17 years 8 months

Post by Rubbin&dubbin »

If you dont trust the VW experts, maybe the tech experts will give you the answer you seek..

https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/threads ... ne.989406/
[Audi A3 2.0T http://vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=177350]
Polo Playa 1.6 Oo oO

Ex: Polo Playa 1.8 - Sold
SnowHonkey
Enlisted

Post by SnowHonkey »

Rubbin&dubbin wrote:If you dont trust the VW experts, maybe the tech experts will give you the answer you seek..

That's my wife

SnowHonkey
Enlisted

Re: Total noob VW owner questions

Post by SnowHonkey »

Thanks for all the info, guys.

Car went for a proper service and now has new filters, new plugs, new oil, a new cam belt and a new tensioner. Runs like a beast. Didn't cost that much either, just over R3k. Very happy I bought this car. Only thing remaining is the bearing on the alternator is a bit noisy, but since the alternator still works fine, I'll sort that out some other time.

Thanks again!

Supervan II
Cadet
Registered for: 18 years 7 months
Car Make: SEAT
Membership No: missing

Post by Supervan II »

SnowHonkey wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:38 pm
Rubbin&dubbin wrote:If you dont trust the VW experts, maybe the tech experts will give you the answer you seek..

That's my wife

LOL, just as well you have joined here ... perhaps you'll learn something!
I think because this model was only released for South Africa and was then renamed to the SEAT Ibiza. Still cannot get a clear answer.
The answer is: the Ibiza and the Polo are two different vehicles that may, or may not, share some parts - depending on model.