Blown Head Gasket

Bandit2803
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 2 months

Blown Head Gasket

Post by Bandit2803 »

Hi there. Hope someone can give me some solid advice. I have a 2012 polo vivo 1.4. Its got 143000km on the clock and I've blown my head gasket. The place I've taken my car too are suggesting replacing the timing chain and tensioner and have suggested the removal of my catalactyc converter. Your thoughts/ advice on replacing the timing chain etc and removal of cat converter? On a tight budget but want to do what the most correct thing is to do in a situation of a blown head gasket. Thank you..

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

andrew37scott
Enlisted
Registered for: 9 years 11 months

Re: Blown Head Gasket

Post by andrew37scott »

Bandit2803 wrote:Hi there. Hope someone can give me some solid advice. I have a 2012 polo vivo 1.4. Its got 143000km on the clock and I've blown my head gasket. The place I've taken my car too are suggesting replacing the timing chain and tensioner and have suggested the removal of my catalactyc converter. Your thoughts/ advice on replacing the timing chain etc and removal of cat converter? On a tight budget but want to do what the most correct thing is to do in a situation of a blown head gasket. Thank you..

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
As you said, the best thing to do is to replace them. With budget constraints I would say if you can, do it, otherwise buy aftermarket chain and tensioner. If you can't and the chain isn't stretched, keep the original one in. Sometimes it is better to run on original parts than a alternative cheaper parts.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Re: Blown Head Gasket

Post by panic-mechanic »

if you don't change the chain you have to make sure the place that does it has marked the chain running direction because it has to be put back the same direction. If they have removed it and not marked it you choice is pretty much only changing it.
Cat - meh - you can always do that when you have the money.
Really don't see that as important at this stage unless they do it for free.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.