wheel shake

jason=JAKE
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 7 months

wheel shake

Post by jason=JAKE »

okay guys. I drive an old golf 1 1989. so ive out on new rims and tires, and aswell changed all 4 coild springs and back socks. the front coil springs I did not change. ive sent it in and the same guys put on free flow. so when I got it back they never put the wheel nuts back properly and my wheel came of. after that happened. ive personally changed the brake disc but sent it in for new inner and outer cv joints. and wheel alignment. ( sorry but I don't know the name but the part neccecary to adjust the wheel alignment.) the also changed that, the wheel cold be shaken like its loose. so they changed that and the at 80 km/h that wheel made some noice, I took it back and they said its the cv joint. they replaced it again. but at 100km/h speeds and above my steering wheel shakes quit a bit. about a month later the cv joint bolts broke of clean, I changed and replaced it with 12.9 tensile strength bolts. but at 80 km/h the left front wheel wobbles. I can feel it and pulls to te left. it also makes weird noises. I don't have the money to keep sending it in, the car feels unsafe at 60km/h and is almost permantly making noises, different noises when braking, different noises when turning, but when I free roll, there is now noises, any help
theunis.visser
Cadet
Registered for: 6 years 4 months
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: Mk5 Golf GTI

Re: wheel shake

Post by theunis.visser »

Firstly I would take it to a different reputable shop for a second look over.

Things you could check: jack the problem wheel off the ground and grab it at the top and bottom (imagine the 12 and 6 o clock of a clock face). Try to shake the wheel by pushing and pulling towards the driver side. Eft and right play is fine. There should be no play on the top and bottom. If there is then the ball joints are due to be replaced.

You could also swop that wheel with one of the others and see if the shaking becomes less, that would point to a problem on the specific wheel. Either the rim is out of round (or the tyre) or it was poorly balanced.

Hope this helps.

Hope this helps

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

jason=JAKE
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 7 months

Post by jason=JAKE »

I have already changed the wheel. the shaking got worse after cv joints broke of. first only the steering wheel shoke, but now its like the wheel itself is wobbling and waiting to fall of or an under part waiting to brake
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

You have most likely got a broken hub or a failed bearing. Best is to get it to a competent mechanic to look at it.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

Did you take out the whole driveshaft to replace the bolts?

Improperly seated or tightened driveshafts can cause horrible vibrations. If it's the shaft that's the problem then it could cause a serious accident.

Don't drive the car, have it towed into a decent workshop.

If you haven't got enough money for this, I'm sorry, this time it's not a good idea to "make a plan" and try fix this yourself. Get it fixed by a professional, there is safety critical parts that have to be carefully assembled and properly tightened.
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+