Wheel bearing

jason=JAKE
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 7 months

Wheel bearing

Post by jason=JAKE »

Hi guys. Okay so a while ago i was driving and my wheel came off. It damaged a few stuff. I have replaced brake disc. Replaced coil spring and replaced cv boot and cv joint inner and outer. Replaced every thing except the hub and strut. Done wheel allignment and so on. I was driving and at about 100 km/h my steering wheel shake quite badly. Ive gotten used to it now as i thaugt it was wheel balancing. This morning on my way to work it soinded like there is somthing stuck on my wheel. Like when you put a playing card in a bicycle spokes and that noise of hitting each spoke. It sounded like that. I stop and checked. Nothing sticking out nothing. As soon as i drive it started. It match my driving speed. The faster i drive the faster is goes. The suddenly something fell off. Didnt feel it but could here it clerly. Sounded like a rock hitting my car. Then the noise while driving was gone. I thought some small rock was just stuck and fell of. But later on again something fell of the same wheel. Can it be my wheel barings that is that badly damaged its litary breaking apart?.

More info. If i come to a stop and about 5 km/h and braking to a halt. That wheel will turn a bit to te left or even small bums like that high visability stuff splitting lanes. Even that will move my wheel and steering wheel to te left when going slow. Like a qauter rotation. My car is a golf 1 1989. Quite old....

Any ideas on what it can be. Since my front left wheelfell of. That sides been making a lot of strange noises and vibrations. Im driving highway eachday and dont want to put my life at risk on high speeds
Rascal69
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 15 years 11 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: MK1
Membership No: 1490

Re: Wheel bearing

Post by Rascal69 »

If your wheel bearings are gone, you will hear them grinding... when the wheel came off, did the brake disk grind on the road and get damaged? what else got damaged? control arm? ball joint?

Oh and you shouldn't be doing high speeds in a mk1... i had rear wheel bearing fail and wheel locked up on the freeway around 140km/h... was not fun at all..
Current: 2007 ///M Coupe
Current: 2019 Fortuner 4x4

Ex: 2005 E55 AMG
Ex: 1998 BMW M3
Ex: 2011 REVO 2 Focus ST - 208wkw & 465nm's (FRnR)
Ex: 1994 E36 328i Track Car (Budler Motorsport built)
Ex: 2011 REVO 2 Mk6 GTI DSG - 200wkw & 452nm's (KAR)
Ex: 2007 REVO 2+ S3 - 12.7s @ 176km/h (Tarlton 2010) and 224km's on 1km (ODI)
Ex: 2006 Velo 1.6i | 2008 Velo 1.6i | 2005 Velo 1.4i | 2006 Polo 1.6i | 2012 Polo TDI | 2004 W203 C200K
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

Could have been a wheel weight that came off. But yeah rather take it apart and change the bearing anyway if you have any doubt. They really are not expensive and cheaper than leting it fail
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
jason=JAKE
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 7 months

Post by jason=JAKE »

hi guys so after this post I found my problem. the inner cv bolts broke clean of. that explain a lot og]f noises and vibrations. the bolts they used was tensile strength 4.4, I bought 12.9 tensile strength. my only concerne is how tight should I tighten it. I don't own a torque wrench, am scared its to loose and the bolts will come loose while driving
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

As tight as you can comfortably make it with a normal ratchet socket wrench and not strip it.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.