Release bearing keeps breaking

my_citi1.8i
Cadet
Registered for: 14 years 7 months

Release bearing keeps breaking

Post by my_citi1.8i »

Hi Guys,

I require your expertise. My release bearing dont seem to last on my citit1.8i 2007 model. I have replaced it 4 times in the last 5-6 months. Clutch replacement was done 5-6 months ago(LUK) and the release bearing broke in less than 2 weeks after the replacement. The push rod has also been replaced. Three times thus far. What could be the root cause as im at the point of selling the car.

Thanks in advance.
Donavan
Lieutenant
Registered for: 17 years 4 months

Re: Release bearing keeps breaking

Post by Donavan »

did you replace brass bushes as well?
excessive play on pushrod side might be the cause.
Audi A4 B8 2.0T - Daily
Audi A3 8L 2.0T 20V - Race Car - viewtopic.php?f=11&t=205201
EX: Mk 1 2 Door - 2L 16V Turbo
my_citi1.8i
Cadet

Post by my_citi1.8i »

Donavan wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:07 am did you replace brass bushes as well?
excessive play on pushrod side might be the cause.
hi,

I believe it was replaced with the previous breakage when the gearbox was removed. I bought like 3 'rubber's' as I was told to replace them. Think it was 3 rubbers. I heard something break while i was driving earlier. Like a grinding breakage. I pulled over but i suspect its the release bearing again. I can engage gears fine when the car is switched off but struggle when its on.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

Send pictures of the failed bearing. What is the failure mode?. ie Seized ?. broken etc. I have in my entire time of playing with golfs with 020 boxes never seen a failed release bearing. So since 1980 odd.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
my_citi1.8i
Cadet

Post by my_citi1.8i »

panic-mechanic wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:13 am Send pictures of the failed bearing. What is the failure mode?. ie Seized ?. broken etc. I have in my entire time of playing with golfs with 020 boxes never seen a failed release bearing. So since 1980 odd.
Thanks for the response.

I could still drive the car to the office which was about 4km. Just the gear engagement was bad. Last time it happened the 'balls' inside the bearing came out. We replaced the release bearing and all was fine again but the clutch engage starting going downwards after a week. I noticed that the 'fork' where the clutch cable goes through had play in it. Like i could literally move it with my hand. I will strip this afternoon when i get home. Hopefully i will make it. Will post pictures but I need to get to the root cause as I am at that point of selling the car to the next person that will take it.
grease monkey
Cadet
Registered for: 17 years 7 months
Car Make: Golf
Car Model: MK2
Membership No: missing

Post by grease monkey »

Any vibration on the pedal before it broke?
my_citi1.8i
Cadet

Post by my_citi1.8i »

grease monkey wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:07 pm Any vibration on the pedal before it broke?
Even after the clutch replacement a few months back i back to clutch cables snapping. Removed the release bearing yesterday and the section at the back of the release bearing when the whole is was wider like the push rod was pushing outside the mark area. There is also play in the push rod. Replaced the release bearing. Then tested and the clutch cable snapped on the pedal side. Replaced the cable and im back on the road.
Really dont know whatelse to do as I have probably gone through 15 clutch cables in a space of two years.
Donavan
Lieutenant
Registered for: 17 years 4 months

Post by Donavan »

I have seen it once where the centre portion of the thrust plate seized thus resulted in the thrust bearing being fused to the push rod.

It sounds to like you have to much play on the push rod

Maybe try and change the brass bushes that goes with the push rod. Unfortunately you will have to remove the gearbox to do this
Audi A4 B8 2.0T - Daily
Audi A3 8L 2.0T 20V - Race Car - viewtopic.php?f=11&t=205201
EX: Mk 1 2 Door - 2L 16V Turbo
4ePikanini
Lieutenant
Registered for: 14 years 8 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Touareg R5
Membership No: missing

Post by 4ePikanini »

adjust the pedal play to spec. Perhaps you are pushing the bearing too far and forcing it against the stop.

Just a theory.

Where does your clutch take?
My Touareg Build
2005 Touareg R5 Air & Bi-Xenon
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

I recon your pressure plate is stuffed requiring way too much pressure to operate.
This is not a high power turbo car with a double diapraghm plate or something?.
Even on those I have never seen a release bearing fail. I recon whip the box off and have the pressure plate tested or simply replaced. Sachs power clutch has one of the softest action pressure plates.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
my_citi1.8i
Cadet

Post by my_citi1.8i »

4ePikanini wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:50 pm adjust the pedal play to spec. Perhaps you are pushing the bearing too far and forcing it against the stop.

Just a theory.

Where does your clutch take?
The space between the clutch peddle and the break peddle is alot. I would say 10cm which has play in it.The clutch engagement is like 'normal' not high or too low but the engagement gradually goes down to point where its close to the floor and i struggle then to engage gears. I looked at the cable last night when i got home and the clutch cable is almost at max height.
my_citi1.8i
Cadet

Post by my_citi1.8i »

panic-mechanic wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:34 am I recon your pressure plate is stuffed requiring way too much pressure to operate.
This is not a high power turbo car with a double diapraghm plate or something?.
Even on those I have never seen a release bearing fail. I recon whip the box off and have the pressure plate tested or simply replaced. Sachs power clutch has one of the softest action pressure plates.
Thanks for the advice. Just a little 1.8i(factory specs still).
Deniboy
Cadet
Registered for: 4 years 8 months
Car Make: vw
Car Model: 1997 city golf 1.3

Post by Deniboy »

Having this exact problem after a clutch replacement was there ever a fix for this ?
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 2 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Post by Ashveer03 »

Had a problem once with an LUK kit, the thrust plate (oem) was different (abit higher than it suppose to be), that would make it seem as if the rod is too long.

U will be able to feel it on the pedal though, the bite point on the pedal will be extremely low with the cable completely deadjusted.
It will eat the bearing within a few kms

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
Deniboy
Cadet
Registered for: 4 years 8 months
Car Make: vw
Car Model: 1997 city golf 1.3

Post by Deniboy »

dammit i knew something was totally off, think it will be possible to use a push rod few cm bigger maybe lets say one from a 5speed box which is like 2cm longer