Brad88
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 1 month
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 6R Comfortline 1.4

VW Polo annoying door lock actuator

Post by Brad88 »

Hi everyone.

I own a VW Polo 6R Comfortline 1.4 and lately I discovered an annoying problem with one of my rear door lock actuators. I noticed that particularly on hot days when the car has been standing in the sun and all the doors are unlocked, when I lock the car again one of my rear doors makes a different sound and it doesn't lock while the rest of the doors are locked, even when trying the manual lock switch on the door it doesn't lock. This is very annoying because it only happens when the car stands in the sun on hot days that it occurs it locks all the doors perfectly when the car stands in the shade on a hot day, so temperature has an effect on the actuator's locking mechanism. :bang:

Is there some way I can fix the actuator or does it just need replacing? Any advice?

Thanks.
Last edited by Brad88 on Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Titleists
Philosopher STIG
Registered for: 14 years 8 months
Car Model: 2016 Golf R
Membership No: 1520

Re: VW Polo annoying door lock actuator

Post by Titleists »

It must be replaced, but it's going to cost you one arm and a foot.
VCDS changes done by me for a minimal fee

My ex rides:

2013 LHD Scirocco R
2011 Golf 6 GTI
Supervan II
Cadet
Registered for: 18 years 8 months
Car Make: SEAT
Membership No: missing

Post by Supervan II »

Titleists wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:42 am It must be replaced, but it's going to cost you one arm and a foot.
Not necessarily - what is happening is that the metal components expand in the heat and there is insufficient lubrication to overcome the stiffness caused. Dust and moisture further aggravates this problem.

A good dose of lubricant (I used silicone spray) and you'll be good to go.

It's not so much the mechanical part of the door locks that are the problem, but the electrics, on the other hand (Darren) ...
Supervan II
Cadet
Registered for: 18 years 8 months
Car Make: SEAT
Membership No: missing

Post by Supervan II »

Supervan II wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:05 am
Titleists wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:42 am It must be replaced, but it's going to cost you one arm and a foot.
Not necessarily - what is happening is that the metal components expand in the heat and there is insufficient lubrication to overcome the stiffness caused. Dust and moisture further aggravates this problem.

A good dose of lubricant (I used silicone spray) and you'll be good to go.

It's not so much the mechanical part of the door locks that are the problem, but the electrics, on the other hand (Darren) ...
ETA: If you leave it as-is the electrics WILL play up sooner than later and force you to replace it! Perhaps even (as in my case) cause the door to dead-lock).
Brad88
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 1 month
Car Model: Polo 6R Comfortline 1.4

Post by Brad88 »

Thanks Supervan I'll give it a try this weekend and see if it works.