wickid3
Cadet
Registered for: 13 years
Car Make: VW
Car Model: 00 G4 GTI

MK4 longevity

Post by wickid3 »

Hi Guys

Bored at work and updating my cars service history logbooks that I keep on excel. Posting this up might make up for some interesting reading for forum readers (and other bored people browsing).

My MK4 just past 300 000 km’s and 18 years old was thinking of the original “expensive”/major parts that are still on it. Amazed that it lasted so long.
Coil packs
Clutch
Wheel bearings
Intercooler and all piping
Radiator and fans
Air-con still working
Alternator

Expensive things that I had to fix

Valve stem seals at 236000 km

Refurbish original turbo at 291000 km

Fuel pump at 256000 km

Car started smoking at around 210000km’s whenever the car came to idle so I did valve stem seals, the smoking never really went away but got quite abit less.

Around 270000ish kms smoking returned heavily again on idle drove it for quite abit like this though 20000kms +-, this time I did the turbo also upgraded the wheels inside it, didn’t not really want to upgrade but did it anyway.
Still smokes on idle but not as much. So basically driving a smoking car for almost 100 000 kms.
Oil consumption is still great compared to new cars lol, at around 1 pint every 4000-6000km’s.
This car got modded very late in its life at 236000km. software, dp etc

Car has had extensive general maintenance throughout its life.

Suspension has been overalled about twice, cv joints, cambelts/services all done on time. Lots of well documented mk4 problems broke like rubber vacuum/oil hoses, doors/window problems.

Not a bad car over all. Still makes plenty of power. Driving like an old car now though with creaks and squeaks here and there. Just start and go. . . . .

Oh ya and still light on fuel when driven slowly and not reving it past 3000 rpm I can +- 800km on a tank.

Sent from my Redmi 3S using Tapatalk

Current: 00 Golf 4 GTI/07 Volvo s40 2.4i/ Skyline R32 GTS-t

Ex: 06 PASSAT 2.0 FSI
E46 BMW 318I
96 MK3 GTI
97 VR6
93 1.6 Corrola GLS
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 1 month
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Re: MK4 longevity

Post by Ashveer03 »

Did u buy the car new?

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
wickid3
Cadet

Post by wickid3 »

No bought it at 198000kms. There where 2 owners between 100000km and 198000km . They kept all receipts and job cards for the car when service by the aftermarket. So when I took over I did the same. I got like 2 bantex bags and cubby full of receipts. Also have the original service books.

E46 BMW 318I
96 MK3 GTI
97 VR6
93 1.6 Corrola GLS
Unobeat
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 12 years 11 months
Car Make: Fiat, Toyota, Mazda
Car Model: Uno, Auris, CX-5

Post by Unobeat »

I love reading and following threads like these because it makes interesting informative reading.

Thumbs up on keeping it on such a good age.

So the smoking, does it now signal you that. It will need a motor rebuild.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Tapatalk

THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.
panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.
wickid3
Cadet

Post by wickid3 »

Kind off, I know that only a proper rebuild will stop the smoking, but I won't overhaul just yet. I use the car only long distance it hardly ever gets stuck in traffic so the smoking issue is so much of a problem for me. If it was Joburg traffic I would have probably already overhauled it.

It also has plenty of power when I feel it start to fade then then will make plans to overhaul it. . . .for now I will just carrying on servicing and driving it gently.

E46 BMW 318I
96 MK3 GTI
97 VR6
93 1.6 Corrola GLS
wickid3
Cadet