96 golf mk1 won't turn off

MikeAusten
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 7 months

96 golf mk1 won't turn off

Post by MikeAusten »

So I was busy yesterday changing the oil pump and afterwards poured the oil back in but spilt some on the front and back side of the engine by the oil cap so I sprayed it down and left it for about half an hour to dry and then all was fine car started and turned off etc. Then I was trying to fix the wiring for the inner lights (ended up being fuses I fixed this morning) but didn't touch anything to cause a problem. Then I was checking a couple fuses last night but put them all back in the same places if I'm correct. Then tried to bridge the wire for the inner lights and I didn't notice till I was done that I turned the ignition off and the battery light stayed on?? So I thought okay maybe the battery is low or something so let me start it real quick and then turn it off but very shocked it wouldn't turn off no matter how many times I turn the key off and I could only get it to turn off by unplugging the ignition module. Battery light still stays on and all features work as if car was on. What to do to fix this?
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Re: 96 golf mk1 won't turn off

Post by panic-mechanic »

Undo the wiring you did last.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Supervan II
Cadet
Registered for: 18 years 8 months
Car Make: SEAT
Membership No: missing

Re: 96 golf mk1 won't turn off

Post by Supervan II »

panic-mechanic wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:46 am Undo the wiring you did last.
And then replace the ignition switch.