Need help with mk1 wiring please

mike65
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 9 months
Car Make: vw
Car Model: mk1

Need help with mk1 wiring please

Post by mike65 »

Howsit guys hope this is correct place to post.

I have a mk1 golf 1993 model that had been mp9. I took the mp9 wiring and ecu out and replaced it with dictator.
while doing this i thought of doing a semi wire tuck or at least neaten up the bay abit and got all the wires extended that needed extending and half way stopped as i wanted to see if all my stuff still works e.g headlights indicators and so forth.

I am now baffled with my indicators,wipers,headlights and brake lights not working.

Indicator light on the dash stays on even though the ign is off and so does my brake lights. If i switch on my hazards then indicators does blink or flash but is very faint (will try and upload a video on this).

Please if anyone can help i will highly appreciate it and if i need to clarify anything please let me know i will gladly do it with very quick response
Watch this space
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Re: Need help with mk1 wiring please

Post by panic-mechanic »

missing an earth somewhere or you have put power where it should not be and took power away where it should have been. Basically impossible to tell you without doing a lot of diagnosis with a voltmeter / ohm meter. You'll have to strip open and see where you crossed or missed something.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
mike65
Cadet

Post by mike65 »

Morning there is a few earth wires that is not connected that i had to cut from the mp9 wiring. I will start by connecting them.

I would like to start on one thing first and move from there e.g get lights to work and go from there...Which colour wiring does the headlights have?
Can I check from fusebox to headlight plug or how? i have a multimeter and 12v test light ready for any action
Watch this space
VAG Fan
Lieutenant
Registered for: 8 years

Post by VAG Fan »

I agree with Stephan. It sounds like missing earths or false connections. You'd need to undo what you've done, and/or open the loom and trace lines, preferably with a wiring diagram.

For what it's worth, in answer to your last question:

To my best recollection, the terminal numbers and colours for headlight wiring in the Audis and VWs from the 1980s and 1990s were as follows (disclaimer, this is from the wiring diagram of a LHD 1992 Audi type C4, but I've seen very similar in other VAG cars):

75, yellow/black = connection from ignition switch to X-relay and headlight switch. This will carry 12V when ignition is on, but not when starting.
56, yellow = headlight connection from headlight switch to (e.g.) high beam relay, and probably also from headlight switch to beam selector switch.
56a, white/black = high beam connection from beam selector switch to fuse box, where it splits via two separate fuses into
... white/black to left headlight high beam
... white to right headlight high beam
56b, yellow/white or yellow = low beam connection from beam selector switch to fuse box, where it splits via two separate fuses into
... yellow/black to left headlight low beam
... yellow to right headlight low beam.
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
2004 VW Golf TDI, type 1J, AHF, 317k (2016-current) --- daily
1990 VW Fox, type 16, HM, 304k (2005-current) --- spare runaround
Previous:
1992 Audi 500 SE, type C4, AAR (2001-2020) --- nice while it lasted
1983 VW Golf GTS, type 17, FR (1992-2005) --- most fun car I've ever had
1978 Audi 100 GLS 5E, type 43, WC (1991-92) --- died in the side of a Rekord who cut me off
- - - - - - - - - -
mike65
Cadet

Post by mike65 »

VAG Fan wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:50 am I agree with Stephan. It sounds like missing earths or false connections. You'd need to undo what you've done, and/or open the loom and trace lines, preferably with a wiring diagram.

For what it's worth, in answer to your last question:

To my best recollection, the terminal numbers and colours for headlight wiring in the Audis and VWs from the 1980s and 1990s were as follows (disclaimer, this is from the wiring diagram of a LHD 1992 Audi type C4, but I've seen very similar in other VAG cars):

75, yellow/black = connection from ignition switch to X-relay and headlight switch. This will carry 12V when ignition is on, but not when starting.
56, yellow = headlight connection from headlight switch to (e.g.) high beam relay, and probably also from headlight switch to beam selector switch.
56a, white/black = high beam connection from beam selector switch to fuse box, where it splits via two separate fuses into
... white/black to left headlight high beam
... white to right headlight high beam
56b, yellow/white or yellow = low beam connection from beam selector switch to fuse box, where it splits via two separate fuses into
... yellow/black to left headlight low beam
... yellow to right headlight low beam.
Thanx I will most deff have a look when i get at home.

A response to your 1st phrase about the connection, I have done it one by one because of that reason...but like you said i will undo all of it and start again
Watch this space
mike65
Cadet

Post by mike65 »

hi guys ive got my headlights,stop lights and parks to work next is on the list my indicators and wipers
Watch this space
mike65
Cadet

Post by mike65 »

Lights working fine dim and bright.

other issue is this light stays on even though the ign is off and when i turn on the hazards it stays on so its like the indicators dims and bright when flashing,it doesnt go off completely but when i turn the ign on then it goes of and indicate like its suppose to (only with hazards not with stalk think stalk is faulty)

Watch this space