'We are being ripped off'- Rather interesting, Whats your say?

Wolfburger
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years
Car Make: VW
Car Model: 6C Cross Polo

'We are being ripped off'- Rather interesting, Whats your say?

Post by Wolfburger »

An interesting Read with a few valid points

whats your take? Are we being ripped off

https://www.wheels24.co.za/News/Guides_ ... a-20180817
Current: 2015 6C Cross Polo TSI(Honey Orange) - Ginger
2009 Golf 5 GTI DSG - OEM Look - Sold
2007 Polo 9N3 Black Magic - Sold
1998 Bottle Green Jetta VR6 Executive - So
ld
Admin to : https://www.facebook.com/pg/ScenePointsSa
Tman21
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 7 years 11 months
Car Model: BosPolo
Membership No: 3247

Re: 'We are being ripped off'- Rather interesting, Whats your say?

Post by Tman21 »

This is common knowledge for anyone that does their own maintenance. But unfortunately resale and "bad maintenance" Stigma still sticks to a resale when there is a lack of stamps due to self service with quality parts.

Can be debated toF!
Success: When hard work meets opportunity :-)
#TMAN21
Tman21
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 7 years 11 months
Car Model: BosPolo
Membership No: 3247

Post by Tman21 »

This is common knowledge for anyone that does their own maintenance. But unfortunately resale and "bad maintenance" Stigma still sticks to a resale when there is a lack of stamps due to self service with quality parts.

Can be debated toF!
Success: When hard work meets opportunity :-)
#TMAN21
mellos
Cadet
Registered for: 7 years 9 months

Post by mellos »

Good day
Interesting read indeed, I'm not going to mention names in this correspondence for fear of being sued.I have experienced this first hand.I needed my sunroof repaired so I went to a renowned sunroof repair place only to be told agents only, note no names mentioned,these sunroof repair guys were denied access to spares by the manufacturer forcing people to go back to the so called agents and be forced to pay exorbitant prices.
All these sunroof guys do now is to close your sunroof for you and somehow disable it,how many guys are out there with sunroofs on their cars but they cannot open them.,all because the agents are charging these ridiculous prices and they sell you a complete sunroof for the price of a small second hand car.Just thought I would share my experience Thanks.
Wolfburger
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years
Car Model: 6C Cross Polo

Post by Wolfburger »

Tman21 wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:01 am This is common knowledge for anyone that does their own maintenance. But unfortunately resale and "bad maintenance" Stigma still sticks to a resale when there is a lack of stamps due to self service with quality parts.

Can be debated toF!
+1 Totally Agree
Current: 2015 6C Cross Polo TSI(Honey Orange) - Ginger
2009 Golf 5 GTI DSG - OEM Look - Sold
2007 Polo 9N3 Black Magic - Sold
1998 Bottle Green Jetta VR6 Executive - So
ld
Admin to : https://www.facebook.com/pg/ScenePointsSa
Rascal69
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 16 years
Car Model: MK1
Membership No: 1490

Post by Rascal69 »

Yeah fck the agents and their ridiculous prices... I always replace with OES non agent parts where i can unless the part is well priced at the agents (sometimes service items are ok priced) .. in many cases, its the exact same thing with maybe just the serial number or BMW stamp removed as i've seen when replacing Guibo's, center bearings, suspension bushings .ect
Current: 2007 ///M Coupe
Current: 2019 Fortuner 4x4

Ex: 2005 E55 AMG
Ex: 1998 BMW M3
Ex: 2011 REVO 2 Focus ST - 208wkw & 465nm's (FRnR)
Ex: 1994 E36 328i Track Car (Budler Motorsport built)
Ex: 2011 REVO 2 Mk6 GTI DSG - 200wkw & 452nm's (KAR)
Ex: 2007 REVO 2+ S3 - 12.7s @ 176km/h (Tarlton 2010) and 224km's on 1km (ODI)
Ex: 2006 Velo 1.6i | 2008 Velo 1.6i | 2005 Velo 1.4i | 2006 Polo 1.6i | 2012 Polo TDI | 2004 W203 C200K
ICE King
Cadet
Registered for: 12 years 11 months
Car Model: Polo GTI 20V , Mazdarati

Post by ICE King »

Yes and No , The agents suppose to re quality control each and every product they resale as well as branding and serials etc... This is an overhead cost and I suspect is the reason for the amplified cost.

If I could use the example of a CV boot, Costed me R450 at the agents but it came in a solid box, had proper Cv grease , OEM Clamps (not hose clamps), was QC passed and the boot rubber was durable. Everything I required for the job was in one box. happy to say hasn't given me a days issue since installed.

Certain parts on the other hand is questionable , eg. pistons etc...
1992 Mazda 323 B3 - Masala Mods
2008 VW POLO GTI - 76mm DP + 63mm exhaust , induction, FMIC, Thanas Tuned
Le Clue
Field Marshal
Registered for: 14 years 7 months
Car Model: Golf Mk7 GTI Clubsport
Membership No: 1458

Post by Le Clue »

When it comes to VW I have picked up many OEM parts being considerably cheaper and of much better quality than WAG parts.
Previous Rides:
2016 VW Golf Mk7 GTI Clubsport
2011 VW Golf Mk6 R
2007 VW Golf Mk5 GTI
2013 VW Polo 6R GTI
2011 VW Scirocco GT 2.0TSI
2010 VW Golf Mk6 GTI
2007 VW Polo 1.9TDI Sportline
2009 VW CitiRox 1.6i
billionairebum
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 3 months
Car Model: Sportline
Membership No: 3194

Post by billionairebum »

Le Clue wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:16 am When it comes to VW I have picked up many OEM parts being considerably cheaper and of much better quality than WAG parts.
+1 this is what I have been told by a few guys that work on a lot of these.
G-spot
Committee Member
Registered for: 16 years 6 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Audi S3 Sedan
Membership No: 1215

Post by G-spot »

billionairebum wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:28 am
Le Clue wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:16 am When it comes to VW I have picked up many OEM parts being considerably cheaper and of much better quality than WAG parts.
+1 this is what I have been told by a few guys that work on a lot of these.
I agree, Also with VW there is tons of sub par pirate parts available, some quality non OE parts normally cost close to OEM parts anyway
Grant Hendry
Membership no.:1215

Current:
2016 Audi S3 Sedan
1978 VW Golf 1100 GL
Ex:
2012 VW Golf GTI Edition 35
2007 VW Golf GTI
2006 Polo 1.9 TDI Sportline
2012 VW Polo GTI
MarshallGTi
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 13 years 1 month
Car Make: Seat
Car Model: Ibiza 1.9TDi FR
Membership No: 1665

Post by MarshallGTi »

All my working life has been spent in dealership workshops, and then in the aftermarket spares game for the big names, and its tricky. Yes there are definitely parts available on the aftermarket that come off the same line and sometimes even same batch as what you get from the agents, that days production just gets split with some getting VAG stickers and boxes, and other aftermarket packaging.

Trouble is a brand cant have a viable aftermarket business with just OE-level stuff, so they then make a range of aftermarket parts for which they are not OE suppliers, and thats ok cos everything is usually similar quality. The problem starts when that same brand then sources some of these non-OE parts away from their own factories because thats where quality issues and performance issues can creep in.

As the end customer, you know for certain that on your Golf, "brand X" makes the OE brakes for example, so you have no problem buying that same brand from a spares shop cos regardless of the box it comes in, the brakes will be pretty much the same. But then you decide to fit that same brand to your wifes Toyota, not knowing that "brand X" doesn't make Toyota brakes and actually just sources those brakes from one of the not-so-great factories in China and does no QC work on them.

The problem gets even worse at the lower end of the price spectrum, because some of the importers/wholesalers base their decisions on price above everything and the quality you see sometimes is shocking.
It is an ingenius solution to a problem that should have never existed in the 1st place...

Ibiza FR

Ex's:
ShoeBox
(o\!/o)
My mk2 16v
EX-DOHCTOR wrote: I'd make sure I understand the differences between fish and engine components before attempting any modifications on my motor vehicle as a start. :lol:
Psycho1400 wrote:It wasn't an oil leak, it was a horsepower sweat...
Titleists
Philosopher STIG
Registered for: 14 years 7 months
Car Model: 2016 Golf R
Membership No: 1520

Post by Titleists »

Try finding a fuel cap lock solenoid at a non-vw spares shop. Impossible :bang:
VCDS changes done by me for a minimal fee

My ex rides:

2013 LHD Scirocco R
2011 Golf 6 GTI
Supervan II
Cadet
Registered for: 18 years 8 months
Car Make: SEAT
Membership No: missing

Post by Supervan II »

Titleists wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:23 pm Try finding a fuel cap lock solenoid at a non-vw spares shop. Impossible :bang:
Many years ago (1984/5) I was looking for a set of new HT leads for my Golf GTi as the agents were out of stock (no-one stocked Bougicord for them yet either) so I hunted down the OEM manufacturer locally (I knew one of the procurers at the factory at the time - it came in quite handy too, I can assure you!).

Yes, they swore me to secrecy, but I walked away with a complete set at less than half the price quoted for a new set at the agents!

I also managed to source a complete, brand-new, set of 14" mags (Snowflakes) that were made of unobtanium and was the first GTi locally to run 14" mags (fitted them with Pirellis too, nogal). Oh, and was once asked: "Are you insane? How on earth can you put retreads on this car?" :lol: At the time the tread pattern did look similar.